Re: [tarnobrzeg-gen] Re: bojanow/ofiara

  • jnieradka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 2001
      I had written to the church in Spie once and received some information although not as much as I hoped. There was mention that some records were lost/destroyed during the wars and with the German and Russian occupations. SOme may have been moved to an archive ???

      John

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 2001

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2001
          On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 12:34:51 EDT jnieradka@... writes:

          > some records were lost/destroyed during the wars and with the German
          > and Russian occupations. SOme may have been moved to an archive ???

          I mentioned that issue recently here. Churches are obligated by law to
          transfer
          their documents which are 100 years old and older to regional state
          archives. So as of now documents from1901 still available at
          churches last year, now are available only in state archives.

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • moormanh@home.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2001
            Dear Group,

            I don't know what the laws are regarding church records older than
            100 years in Poland, but I personally have been at the
            parish churches in Stany in 1998, and at Spie, and Nowy Nart in 1998,
            and have seen with my own eyes the old church record
            books dating back to the mid 1800's. I found out that most of this
            area was occupied by the Nazi's during World War II and
            subsequently destroyed by them and the residents were ordered to
            leave. This area was then set up as a "poligon" (their
            army training grounds) during the war. Most of the priests were able
            to spirit the church record books away and hide them
            until after the war, at which time they brought them out of hiding
            and returned to the sites where the villages used to be to
            rebuild their lives and their villages. I also was at the "urza~d'
            office in Bojanow and saw their civil record books (which
            are copies usually made for them by the village priests), but I don't
            know how far these records go back.

            Regards,
            Stella

            --- In tarnobrzeg-gen@y..., Marek Duszkiewicz <mar