Surnames of Polish immigrants in St. Joseph Catholic Church, Kansas City, Kansas
- SEE PHOTOS IN PHOTOS SECTION
ANNUAL STATEMENT OF REVENUE AND EXPENSES 1927
For the Parish of St. Joseph in Kansas City, Kansas
This document was found in the cedar chest of my mother, Anne Laskowski Sajwaj, following her death in 1984 in Kansas City, Kansas. It apparently passed to her husband, John Sajwaj, after his father, Łukasz Sajwaj died in 1938. The families of Łukasz and John were parishioners of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Kansas City, Kansas.
This parish was founded in 1888 to serve the spiritual needs of immigrants from several European countries. Due to a high influx of Polish immigrants in the first decade of the 20th Century, the parish by 1910 almost exclusively served the Polish community which grew up around St. Joseph Church. Today, the church continues to serve the spiritual needs of its community although its Polish members have dwindled to a small number.
The parishioners of St. Joseph Church came from many areas of Poland, including Silesia, Pomorze, areas now in Belarus, and other regions of Poland of the early 20th Century. One particular area that provided a large number of St. Joseph's parishioners was near Tarnobrzeg, south of the Wisła River, including villages surrounding Wielowies, Miechocin, and other nearby locations.
Currently, the church is known as St. Joseph - St. Benedict Catholic Church, and is located at 801 Vermont Avenue, Kansas City, Kansas 66101. Records from 1888 for baptisms, marriage, funerals, and other services are maintained at the church's rectory.
This Annual Statement of Revenues and Expenses listed its parishioners who pledged to donate a specific amount of money for the year of 1927. Thus, it is a good approximation of the different surnames found in the parish. Please note, the list is comprised primarily of heads of households, and is not a complete list of its parishioners in 1927. Also, there were probably some heads of households who were not listed. Still further, some families and individuals who initially were members at St. Joseph had moved elsewhere by 1927. Some relocated to other American cities, such as Omaha and Chicago. Some, such as the Ordyk family, returned to Poland, and still others moved to St. Stanislaus Catholic Church in Kansas City, Missouri. St. Stanislaus Church no longer exists, but its records recently were kept, and may still be, at Our Lady of Peace Church, 1029 Bennington Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri 64126.