Re: [tarnobrzeg-gen] Introducing myself: Parents grew up in Tarnobrze g

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013
      Hi Emil,

      You are very welcomed on this List.
      For the records. Story of Samuel Zamojre in Polish is easily findable on the net. Just put >Zamojre Tarnobrzeg< into Google
      windows. Beside there are at least 2 works in Polish You should know they exist if You really want to know about Samuel

      “Zostal im tylko tobolek. Historia tarnobrzeskich Zydów w oczach dzieci” by students: Wanda Szmuc, Weronika Golinska, Julia Karcz i Izabela Pyszczek [available in PDF format to
      download from the net]

      Tarnobrzeg. Szkice z dziejów miasta i jego obywateli
      (Tarnobrzeg.Sketches from the history of the city and its citizens) By Adam F. Baran (pages 89-90 also about Samuel Zamojre)[excerpts from the book also findable on the net
      as well contact with the author possible]

      Since You visited Tarnobrzeg last time many things were changed. Many resources are available that nobody couldn't even think of they will be ever possible like Tarnobrzeg Digital Library

      http://tbc.tarnobrzeg.pl/dlibra

      or Podkarpacka Digital library
      http://www.pbc.rzeszow.pl/

      You can search there in English for Polish documents.

      As correction to Your message. Samuel was expelled to Radomysl nad Sanem which is not in Russia but in Poland as of today. Poland was divided since 1939 at that time between two ocupants: Soviets and Germans. Radomysl was under Soviet occupation until war between Germany and Soviet Russia. Sound higly unlikely that Your relatives were given by Russian choice about their fate !!!! Rather Germans would do that but never Russians. Could prove Your relatives were given choice?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2013
        Thank you so much for this very helpful note. I will post some of my
        findings later after I have had a chance to absorb some of this material.

        Emil Safier

        On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Marek Duszkiewicz <
        marek.duszkiewicz@...> wrote:

        > Hi Emil,
        >
        > You are very welcomed on this List.
        > For the records. Story of Samuel Zamojre in Polish is easily findable on
        > the net. Just put >Zamojre Tarnobrzeg< into Google
        > windows. Beside there are at least 2 works in Polish You should know they
        > exist if You really want to know about Samuel
        >
        > �Zostal im tylko tobolek. Historia tarnobrzeskich Zyd�w w oczach dzieci�
        > by students: Wanda Szmuc, Weronika Golinska, Julia Karcz i Izabela Pyszczek
        > [available in PDF format to
        > download from the net]
        >
        > Tarnobrzeg. Szkice z dziej�w miasta i jego obywateli
        > (Tarnobrzeg.Sketches from the history of the city and its citizens) By
        > Adam F. Baran (pages 89-90 also about Samuel Zamojre)[excerpts from the
        > book also findable on the net
        > as well contact with the author possible]
        >
        > Since You visited Tarnobrzeg last time many things were changed. Many
        > resources are available that nobody couldn't even think of they will be
        > ever possible like Tarnobrzeg Digital Library
        >
        > http://tbc.tarnobrzeg.pl/dlibra
        >
        > or Podkarpacka Digital library
        > http://www.pbc.rzeszow.pl/
        >
        > You can search there in English for Polish documents.
        >
        > As correction to Your message. Samuel was expelled to Radomysl nad Sanem
        > which is not in Russia but in Poland as of today. Poland was divided since
        > 1939 at that time between two ocupants: Soviets and Germans. Radomysl was
        > under Soviet occupation until war between Germany and Soviet Russia. Sound
        > higly unlikely that Your relatives were given by Russian choice about their
        > fate !!!! Rather Germans would do that but never Russians. Could prove Your
        > relatives were given choice?
        >
        > Good Luck
        > Marek D.

        *
        *
        * Emil Safier*
        * 323.333.4671*
        ***
        *

      • marek d
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 28, 2013
          --- In tarnobrzeg-gen@yahoogroups.com, emil safier <emil535@...> wrote:

          > Thank you so much for this very helpful note. I will post some of my
          > findings later after I have had a chance to absorb some of this material.
          >
          > Emil Safier

          Emil,

          In the meantime I was able to find and save some findings about Your family in Polish including copy of school certificate signed by Your grandfather Samuel, photo of Pinek Safier as finalist of Tarnobrzeg's championship in table tennis from year 1935, local paper interview
          with Your aunt Izabela Zamojre-Gillon who coming from USA visited Tarnobrzeg in 1991, excerpt from "Tarnobrzeski slownik bigraficzny" by Tadeusz Zych with Your grandfather Samuel biography and other stuff.

          There is serious contradiction among already collected piece of info regarding the way and date of Your grandfather death. You and most info findable on Internet says Your grandfather died in expelling process in October 1939 during crossing San river near Radomysl n/Sanem. Above mentioned "Tarnobrzeski Slownik biograficzny" but also
          Samuel's daughter and Your aunt Izabela says Samuel died on May 28th, 1939 and therefore before the WWII even started, by natural causes. I wonder how come You did not learn that directly from Izabela, who had been living in USA like You.

          With Regards Marek D.
        • Marcel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2013
            Hello Marek, I suspect Pinek Safier is my great uncle, born 1916 so the photo you mentioned is of great interest and I have others to compare it with. His wife is still alive and he has a daughter living in Israel. I am a second cousin to Emil and we are in contact, having met in person for the first time just last year. I have placed what I know about my family on this website:

            http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msafier/safier/msafier.html

            Cheers!

            Marcel Safier, Brisbane, Australia

            --- In tarnobrzeg-gen@yahoogroups.com, "marek d" <marek.duszkiewicz@...> wrote:

            > --- In tarnobrzeg-gen@yahoogroups.com, emil safier <emil535@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thank you so much for this very helpful note. I will post some of my
            > > findings later after I have had a chance to absorb some of this material.
            > >
            > > Emil Safier
            >
            > Emil,
            >
            > In the meantime I was able to find and save some findings about Your family in Polish including copy of school certificate signed by Your grandfather Samuel, photo of Pinek Safier as finalist of Tarnobrzeg's championship in table tennis from year 1935, local paper interview
            > with Your aunt Izabela Zamojre-Gillon who coming from USA visited Tarnobrzeg in 1991, excerpt from "Tarnobrzeski slownik bigraficzny" by Tadeusz Zych with Your grandfather Samuel biography and other stuff.
            >
            > There is serious contradiction among already collected piece of info regarding the way and date of Your grandfather death. You and most info findable on Internet says Your grandfather died in expelling process in October 1939 during crossing San river near Radomysl n/Sanem. Above mentioned "Tarnobrzeski Slownik biograficzny" but also
            > Samuel's daughter and Your aunt Izabela says Samuel died on May 28th, 1939 and therefore before the WWII even started, by natural causes. I wonder how come You did not learn that directly from Izabela, who had been living in USA like You.
            >
            > With Regards Marek D.

          • emil_535
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2013
              Marek,

              The family story, as was known to me from my own mother, Sabina Safier
              was indeed the story that Irka (Izabella), her younger sister knew,
              namely their father Samuel Zamojre died on May 8th, 1939 (this is the
              date Irka recalls) and therefore before the WWII. Irka was very young
              at the time of her fathers death, and basically this is the story she
              was told. Since Irka and Sabina were the only members of the family
              that survived the war this all comes down to what Sabina said and Irak
              recalls.

              The Zamojre family had more than seven children, some of whom died of
              Scarlett Fever (a common occurrence in those days). The oldest son was
              Joseph and by 1939 he was a lawyer (and apparently an accomplished
              violinist), but he had gotten Tuberculosis of the bones. Samuel
              Zamojre was very distraught about his son's illness and became sick
              himself. Samuel was a member of a teachers organization (he was a high
              school teacher) and went to near by town in Russia called Zacolpanja
              (sp?) to recover. According to this family story, Samuel outlived
              his own son by four days. The family story is that he prayed to be
              spared from seeing his own son die and got his wish.

              When my mother went to Zacolpanja with one of her other brothers to bury
              Samuel for reasons not known to me she was treated with hostility
              (people threw stones at them).

              This story is more than 70 years old, so clearly the details are
              difficult to pin down, but obviously there is a serious discrepancy
              between Samuel Zamojre dying before and after the war under very
              different circumstances.

              I would very much like to understand the source of the story which
              recounts his death as occurring after the war started (October 1939) by
              downing in the river San. Any research on this would be appreciated.

              Sincerely, Emil