RE: [tarnobrzeg-gen] Traveling to tarnobrzeg

  • Burstein, Jill
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 21, 2011
      This is a great hotel in Sandomierz, about 20 minutes from Tarnobrzeg. This is where we stayed, and is much nicer than Tarnobrzeg.

      Hotel Basztowy

      The hotel staff are very helpful, and can give you the name of a translator. Restaurants in Sandomierz are nice. I don't remember any names.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 21, 2011
        I went a few years ago and it just so happens that there is a genealogist that lives in Tarnobrzeg. He found old maps and was able to locate where my grandfather lived. He translated for us and was very good. You may want to check him out, especially if you need a little more than a translator and want some research done.

        His name is Tadeusz Huber Pilat (800) 596-3230and his website is http://wwwprogenealogists.com/tpilat.htm

        ________

        Tadeusz was born in Raciborz, Silesia, Poland (previously Ratibor, Schlesien, in Germany). He currently resides in Tarnobrzeg, in eastern Poland. He pursued Library studies at the University of Maria Curie-Sklodowska in Lublin, Poland, focusing on the history of books and old documents. He specialized in "Supralibros" in Private Collections of the 16th to 18th centuries. In 1999, he was granted the degree of Master of Library and Information Science.

        In 2003, Tadeusz became an Accredited Genealogist specializing in Polish research; this accreditation was awarded by the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists (ICAPGen). Because of his study of Information Science, Tadeusz is very interested in creating electronic databases, and he is working on a Lemko Extraction Project. He enjoys traveling to foreign countries such as Denmark, Germany, Ukraine, Slovakia, England, Russia, Mongolia, and Lybia (North Africa) where he lived for half a year. He conducts genealogical research both in European archives and in records at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City during his frequent visits to Utah. In addition to being fluent in Polish, German, and English, he can read Latin and Russian Cyrillic. Tadeusz has given lectures on genealogy in Warsaw, Opole, and Tarnobrzeg, Poland, as well as San Antonio, Texas. He participated in the 150th Anniversary of Panna Maria, Texas, which was settled by Silesian immigrants.

        Martin Kleiner

        I am thinking about taking a trip this fall to visit my grandmother's homestead in Tarnowska Wola. I would like suggestions on accommodations in, or around Tarnobrzeg, places to eat, and possibly hiring an intrepreter for a couple of days. I will need help with communicating with cousins who still live there, and help with researching archives, if possible.

        Suggestions on costs and availability?

        Thanks all.

      • Sylvia Hansen
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 22, 2011
          It looks lovely. Thank you.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 22, 2011
            So helpful! Thank you!

            On 3/21/11 9:38 PM, Martin Kleiner wrote:

            > I went a few years ago and it just so happens that there is a
            > genealogist that lives in Tarnobrzeg. He found old maps and was able
            > to locate where my grandfather lived. He translated for us and was
            > very good. You may want to check him out, especially if you need a
            > little more than a translator and want some research done.
            >
            > His name is Tadeusz Huber Pilat (800) 596-3230and his website is
            > http://wwwprogenealogists.com/tpilat.htm
            >
            > ________
            >
            > Tadeusz was born in Raciborz, Silesia, Poland (previously Ratibor,
            > Schlesien, in Germany). He currently resides in Tarnobrzeg, in eastern
            > Poland. He pursued Library studies at the University of Maria
            > Curie-Sklodowska in Lublin, Poland, focusing on the history of books
            > and old documents. He specialized in "Supralibros" in Private
            > Collections of the 16th to 18th centuries. In 1999, he was granted the
            > degree of Master of Library and Information Science.
            >
            > In 2003, Tadeusz became an Accredited Genealogist specializing in
            > Polish research; this accreditation was awarded by the International
            > Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists
            > (ICAPGen). Because of his study of Information Science, Tadeusz is
            > very interested in creating electronic databases, and he is working on
            > a Lemko Extraction Project. He enjoys traveling to foreign countries
            > such as Denmark, Germany, Ukraine, Slovakia, England, Russia,
            > Mongolia, and Lybia (North Africa) where he lived for half a year. He
            > conducts genealogical research both in European archives and in
            > records at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City during his
            > frequent visits to Utah. In addition to being fluent in Polish,
            > German, and English, he can read Latin and Russian Cyrillic. Tadeusz
            > has given lectures on genealogy in Warsaw, Opole, and Tarnobrzeg,
            > Poland, as well as San Antonio, Texas. He participated in the 150th
            > Anniversary of Panna Maria, Texas, which was settled by Silesian
            > immigrants.
            >
            > Martin Kleiner

          • Burstein, Jill
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 22, 2011
              Yes; they were very nice there. They have a nice restaurant at the hotel as well.
              Try to find a translator with a car to go to Tarnobrzeg.

              On 3/21/11 3:37 PM, Burstein, Jill wrote:

              > This is a great hotel in Sandomierz, about 20 minutes from Tarnobrzeg.
              > This is where we stayed, and is much nicer than Tarnobrzeg.
              >
              > Hotel Basztowy
              >
              > The hotel staff are very helpful, and can give you the name of a
              > translator. Restaurants in Sandomierz are nice. I don't remember any
              > names.
              >
              > From: tarnobrzeg-gen@yahoogroups.com<mailto:tarnobrzeg-gen%40yahoogroups.com>

            • amp
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 22, 2011
                Good places to stay in Tarnobrzeg
                Sonata
                http://www.sonata.tarnobrzeg.pl/main.php?id=galeria
                Karolina
                http://hotelkarolina.pl/en_index.html
                Because it is in Tarnobrzeg, it cheaper and less crowded than Sandomierz (medieval touristic town).

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 22, 2011
                  I guess it depends when you are traveling. When we traveled last April, Sandomierz was empty.
                  We tried to contact Karolina many times and they never responded. What was nice about the Hotel Bastowy was that they speak English.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 23, 2011
                    The website for Tadeusz isn't working. Any other way to contact him?

                    Tom Sajwaj

                    On Mar 21, 2011, at 8:38 PM, Martin Kleiner wrote:

                    > I went a few years ago and it just so happens that there is a genealogist that lives in Tarnobrzeg. He found old maps and was able to locate where my grandfather lived. He translated for us and was very good. You may want to check him out, especially if you need a little more than a translator and want some research done.
                    >
                    > His name is Tadeusz Huber Pilat (800) 596-3230and his website is http://wwwprogenealogists.com/tpilat.htm
                    >
                    > ________
                    >
                    > Tadeusz was born in Raciborz, Silesia, Poland (previously Ratibor, Schlesien, in Germany). He currently resides in Tarnobrzeg, in eastern Poland. He pursued Library studies at the University of Maria Curie-Sklodowska in Lublin, Poland, focusing on the history of books and old documents. He specialized in "Supralibros" in Private Collections of the 16th to 18th centuries. In 1999, he was granted the degree of Master of Library and Information Science.
                    >
                    > In 2003, Tadeusz became an Accredited Genealogist specializing in Polish research; this accreditation was awarded by the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists (ICAPGen). Because of his study of Information Science, Tadeusz is very interested in creating electronic databases, and he is working on a Lemko Extraction Project. He enjoys traveling to foreign countries such as Denmark, Germany, Ukraine, Slovakia, England, Russia, Mongolia, and Lybia (North Africa) where he lived for half a year. He conducts genealogical research both in European archives and in records at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City during his frequent visits to Utah. In addition to being fluent in Polish, German, and English, he can read Latin and Russian Cyrillic. Tadeusz has given lectures on genealogy in Warsaw, Opole, and Tarnobrzeg, Poland, as well as San Antonio, Texas. He participated in the 150th Anniversary of Panna Maria, Texas, which was settled by Silesian immigrants.
                    >
                    > Martin Kleiner

                  • Richard Hardesty
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 23, 2011
                      He did have an email address, but unfortunately, I no longer have it...try a
                      google search

                      The website for Tadeusz isn't working. Any other way to contact him?

                      Tom Sajwaj

                      On Mar 21, 2011, at 8:38 PM, Martin Kleiner wrote:

                      > I went a few years ago and it just so happens that there is a genealogist
                      that lives in Tarnobrzeg. He found old maps and was able to locate where my
                      grandfather lived. He translated for us and was very good. You may want to
                      check him out, especially if you need a little more than a translator and
                      want some research done.

                      > His name is Tadeusz Huber Pilat (800) 596-3230and his website is
                      http://wwwprogenealogists.com/tpilat.htm

                      > ________
                      >
                      > Tadeusz was born in Raciborz, Silesia, Poland (previously Ratibor,
                      Schlesien, in Germany). He currently resides in Tarnobrzeg, in eastern
                      Poland. He pursued Library studies at the University of Maria
                      Curie-Sklodowska in Lublin, Poland, focusing on the history of books and old
                      documents. He specialized in "Supralibros" in Private Collections of the
                      16th to 18th centuries. In 1999, he was granted the degree of Master of
                      Library and Information Science.

                      > In 2003, Tadeusz became an Accredited Genealogist specializing in Polish
                      research; this accreditation was awarded by the International Commission for
                      the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists (ICAPGen). Because of his
                      study of Information Science, Tadeusz is very interested in creating
                      electronic databases, and he is working on a Lemko Extraction Project. He
                      enjoys traveling to foreign countries such as Denmark, Germany, Ukraine,
                      Slovakia, England, Russia, Mongolia, and Lybia (North Africa) where he lived
                      for half a year. He conducts genealogical research both in European archives
                      and in records at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City during his
                      frequent visits to Utah. In addition to being fluent in Polish, German, and
                      English, he can read Latin and Russian Cyrillic. Tadeusz has given lectures
                      on genealogy in Warsaw, Opole, and Tarnobrzeg, Poland, as well as San
                      Antonio, Texas. He participated in the 150th Anniversary of Panna Maria,
                      Texas, which was settled by Silesian immigrants.

                      > Martin Kleiner

                    • Burstein, Jill
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
                        The website works. There is a '.' Missing after the www in the link that was sent.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 24, 2011
                          Thanks Jill. I knew it worked before I sent it.