Help finding Gurdak

  • migardenia
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
      Hello all,

      I'm looking for information on where my grandfather, Jedrzej Gurdak was born. He came to
      the U.S. in 1904, married my grandmother who emigrated in 1907 in Wilkes-Barre, PA. He
      was killed in a mining accident in 1915 when my mother was one year old. On his death
      certificate, there is no information on his parents' names.

      On the Ellis Island ship manifest his place of residence is listed as Poreby. In my research it
      seems there are many towns with this name. I found a few near Tarnobrzeg.

      However, I know my grandmother came from Tarnowska Wola - about 8 miles from
      Tarnobrzeg. I have a copy of her birth certificate. I am only guessing my grandfather came
      from a Poreby near there, too. In my research, I have found a concentration of Gurdaks in
      that area.

      I'm not sure where to start . . . I would like some advice on how to begin my research in
      Poland. I have the Chorzempa book which outlines writing letters to Polish institutions, but
      am a little apprehensive about this. Has anyone been successful in writing a letter in Polish
      when you didn't have a clue about the language? Since I'm not sure what parish he was born
      in, how would I go about starting the search? Is Poreby a parish? I'm not even sure what
      religion he was. I need help!
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2007
        "migardenia" <sylhans@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking for information on where my grandfather,
        > Jedrzej Gurdak was born.
        [....]
        > I need help!

        Hi,
        What is Your name anyway?

        I did transferred Your letter to Tomasz Gurdak
        living in Tarnobrzeg. I get to know him by
        Internet only some time ago when he became
        a member of my other discussion list.
        So help is on the way.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2007
          -- In tarnobrzeg-gen@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Duszkiewicz"
          <marek.duszkiewicz@...> wrote:

          > I did transferred Your letter to Tomasz Gurdak
          > living in Tarnobrzeg. I get to know him by
          > Internet only some time ago when he became
          > a member of my other discussion list.
          > So help is on the way.

          Here it is:

          Hello,

          I've got some information about Your grandfather.

          Jedrzej Gurdak - his correct name is Andrzej (en. Andrew)
          Jedrzej is old Polish form of Andrew. Your grandfather with
          my great-greatgrandfather were emigrants from Poland.
          Before I tell some information I describe a family tree:

          Jakub (?????) Gurdak - Jedrzej Gurdak (brothers)
          Antoni Gurdak (my great-grandfather)
          Walenty Gurdak (my grandfather)
          Stanislaw Gurdak (my father)
          Tomasz Gurdak (me)

          So like You see, I'm the 4th generation line from the line of
          Jedrzej Gurdak. My father told me that he doesn't remember
          name of his great-grandfather. Probbably his name was Jakub
          and he was brother of Your grandfather.
          Jakub worked with Jedrzej in the same mine, but he came back
          to Poland. When he had come back to Poland, he started to be
          a main forrester near Dzik�w. He was nominated for this function by
          The
          Count Jan Tarnowski. At this moment my family lives near Tarnobrzeg.

          Por�by D�bskie, this is correct name for a small village near
          Tarnobrzeg.
          Now this is only historical name, which is use by some people in town
          Nowa D�ba. For some people Por�by D�bskie is old name for some
          subburds of this town.

          Your grandfather was a christian and his family parish was parish in
          Majdan
          Kr�lewski.
          My father was born in 1947. He remember that after WW II somebody
          sent from US a mails and packages to his father (my grandfather)
          Walenty.
          My grandfather Walenty died in 2000. His and his father Antoni's
          grave is in
          Chmiel�w. This is small village near Tarnobrzeg (8 km in south).

          Greetings
          Tomasz Gurdak
          <tgurdak@...>
          Marek D.
        • Sylvia Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2007
            Marek,

            Thanks. My name is Sylvia Hansen. I have received an email from
            Tomasz and he offered some information that sounds like we are
            related from way back. I'm really excited because I never thought I
            would be able to trace him back to Poland.