Re: [tarnobrzeg-gen] house numbers

  • kathy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
      i found this on
      http://www.czechheritage.net/genealogy.html
      You found your ancestors village and the house number they lived in, now what ? now the fun really starts ! In our ancestors time the houses were numbered in the order they were built, so if your looking for a small numbered house this means that house was one of the first to be built in the village. When you walk down the street, house number 87 maybe next to house number 4, next to number 341. This can make your search for a certain house number turn into quite an excursion. Larger city’s and towns have re-numbered the houses into the system we use 1,3,5,7, across from 2,4,6,8 etc. In some cases they have left the old house numbers on the building as well. It’s common for a old house to be torn down and a new house to be built upon the same spot, the new house retains the same old house number ! So again you may spend a lot of time finding that special house, but what a joy it is finally stand on the very spot your ancestors lived !

      Martin_Kleiner <martin@...> wrote:
      I have my Grandfather's Birth Certificate from Tarnobrzeg in 1891 and
      it simply sayst that he was born in House Number 314.

      Does anyone know what House Number 314 means with no street address?
      Was the town that small that there were only numbers?

      I know I have asked this question a while ago but I am hoping that new
      people have joined the group or new information has come out.

      If anyone is interested, I can email the certificate so that you can
      see what I am talking about.

      Thanks,

      Martin Kleiner
      Tampa, FL

      gf Nachman Neuwirth
      ggf Leib Neuwirth

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      www.farflungfamilyfinder.com
      family tree research techniques

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
        Numeration of houses in Czech is different than in Poland. They have double old (historical) and new (used now) numeration.
        In Poland in small villages, where there is very few streets (mostly one) and not many people lives, numeration can go without street names. But those villages have no more than 10-20 houses, number 314 is quite small possible. But it can be number 3/4, and it means that one house is bigger, and there are two homes (two families with different post address) in one building.
        In towns and cities with street numbers, on the one side of the streets there are even numbers and on the another odd numbers. So along the street on the one side are 1,3,5...11 etc. houses, and on the other side 2,4,6...12 etc. Numbers 1 and 2 are often built vice-versa to each other. But in which way numbers go? It is different in different cities but in Warsaw number go always from the Vistula and along its course.
        I hope it will help a bit.
        best regards
        Krysia

        12 000 sekund gratis! Promocja na http://link.interia.pl/f1970
      • janbirkner@charter.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 17, 2006
          --Dear Krysia,

          How nice to see someone from Poland on the list! I saw your post about Kowal. I have a Wojcik, also from TArnobrzeg! She was my grandfather's sister, and he name was Agnes Rudolf. She married Michael Wojcik in the US, in Lowell, MA, I think Michael was also from TArnobrzeg. I will have to check my files to be sure! I Will let you know. Do you know if you have a Michal? Her grandson John is my cousin and we have been researching together for several years!

          Welcome to the list!

          Jan
          Jan Birkner
          LIVE, FREE Genealogy Help
          www.genealogyforum.org

          ---- "krysiaida@..." <krysiaida@...> wrote:
          > Numeration of houses in Czech is different than in Poland. They have double old (historical) and new (used now) numeration.
          > In Poland in small villages, where there is very few streets (mostly one) and not many people lives, numeration can go without street names. But those villages have no more than 10-20 houses, number 314 is quite small possible. But it can be number 3/4, and it means that one house is bigger, and there are two homes (two families with different post address) in one building.
          > In towns and cities with street numbers, on the one side of the streets there are even numbers and on the another odd numbers. So along the street on the one side are 1,3,5...11 etc. houses, and on the other side 2,4,6...12 etc. Numbers 1 and 2 are often built vice-versa to each other. But in which way numbers go? It is different in different cities but in Warsaw number go always from the Vistula and along its course.
          > I hope it will help a bit.
          > best regards
          > Krysia

        • Richard Hardesty
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2006
            For Jan and Krysia.we have John Wojcik that died in 1921 in the Hamtranick
            area near Detroit. Stephania visited Sieklowka several times, and relatives
            still live there. We have been searching for the companion family,
            Pachniak.thought to have been from Tarnobrzeg, but we've been unable to find
            any trace of this family..regards, Richard Hardesty

            _____

            ---- "krysiaida@interia. <mailto:krysiaida%40interia.pl> pl"

            <http://link.interia.pl/f1970> interia.pl/f1970

            > Sign in to Yahoo http://edit. <http://edit.yahoo.com/config/>