Specific Names

  • Christina Pacosz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2006
      Well, my dad's name was Walter Pacosz - spelled Paczos in Poland - and his mother's name was Ewa Cholody Pacosz, and her children were Frank, Stanley, Janina, and Mary - I visited her in 1986 at the family farm in Felinow and distant cousins still live there now. My grandfather had returned to the U.S. when he realized land he had purchased with his earnings from the St. Joe Lead Mine in Leadwood, Missouri was not legally owned by the man who "sold" it to him, but the young woman the man was supposedly guardian for. My grandmother and her children could not return with him because of the new immigration quotas in effect in 1919, as I recall. But the names of my father's characters in those stories he would tell me as we sat on the green glider on our front porch in Detroit are lost to enternity now.

      Some of the people were: A Jewish timber merchant who wanted to adopt my father. He had a huge room lined with books he let my father read in often. A red-headed girlfriend - also Jewish - that he was very much in love with. A tavernkeeper. A cruel gendarme. A village priest. Still, when I looked at that list I could imagine, like I wrote earlier, maybe it was this one, or that.

      Again, thanks, Tom! Christina Pacosz