Something to talk about

  • Carol Queen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2006
      Hi Gayle & Ev1,

      When this list first started I had alot of questions that I asked. Marek was wonderful about answering them and helping me to "try" to make some contacts in Poland.

      However, none of the contacts I made ever panned out. I wrote several times to the catholic church in Tarnobrzeg requesting info (an included donations, none returned) and did not receive a reply. I wrote the letter in Polish, so I know it was readable.

      Marek also located a distant relative who said they would contact a more immediate family member and get back to me. They never did and the never replied to my emails afterwards.

      I was hoping that this list/group would perhaps be source of finding more resources in Poland. But, there just doesn't appear to be a big interest in finding Polish ancestors. Or if there is, I am unaware of it.

      So far, all the information that I have gotten on my grandfather from Turbia, Tarnobrzeg, Poland, has come from his passport, work papers, original social security application and citizenship papers.

      I would welcome any and all sources, resources or shared data that anyone is aware of. It would be nice to see an active list.

      Carol

    • Tom
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2006
        I would like to echo Gayles' and Carol's comments. My father's father
        came from the Tarnobrzeg and my father's mother from Dzikow. Researching
        the family's origins has gone nowhere. In contrast, research on my
        mother's grandparents' homes near Gdansk and near Slonim in Belarus have
        been highly productive. I have assumed that it was my lack of effort,
        but Carol's experience with the unresponsiveness of the Tarnobrzeg
        church points elsewhere.

        At one time, I plotted the churches in the area that allowed the LDS
        Church to film their records. They seemed to surround Tarnobrzeg, with
        the Tarnobrzeg churches not participating. It formed something of a
        donut. Is there a way to get to the church records without actually
        knocking on their doors?

        One of the travel guides (Lonely Planet) barely mentions Tarnobrzeg. It
        only discusses Sandomierz and Baranow Sandomierski. Is the Tarnobrzeg
        area something of a backwater, undeveloped area?

        What has been the experience writing to archives? Anyone had good luck?

        Are there any good reference books, in English, or good picture books in
        Polish about Tarnobrzeg? I found Jan Slomka's book (From Serfdom to
        Self-Government) very helpful, and he even mentions my grandmother's
        family (Ordyk) and a related one (Gronek). Are there other such books?

        Gayle has kind to share her work, but I have almost nothing to offer in
        return. I only have a couple of postcards, showing a Catholic religious
        procession in about 1950, and a source for a nice Austrian map from
        about 1915. I would be happy to provide copies of them if anyone would
        find them useful. There are also a couple of vintage postcards on one of
        the Kresy websites.

        The only other good reference

        Tom Sajwaj

        Carol Queen wrote:

        > Hi Gayle & Ev1,
        >
        > When this list first started I had alot of questions that I asked.
        > Marek was wonderful about answering them and helping me to "try" to
        > make some contacts in Poland.
        >
        > However, none of the contacts I made ever panned out. I wrote several
        > times to the catholic church in Tarnobrzeg requesting info (an
        > included donations, none returned) and did not receive a reply. I
        > wrote the letter in Polish, so I know it was readable.
        >
        > Marek also located a distant relative who said they would contact a
        > more immediate family member and get back to me. They never did and
        > the never replied to my emails afterwards.
        >
        > I was hoping that this list/group would perhaps be source of finding
        > more resources in Poland. But, there just doesn't appear to be a big
        > interest in finding Polish ancestors. Or if there is, I am unaware of it.
        >
        > So far, all the information that I have gotten on my grandfather from
        > Turbia, Tarnobrzeg, Poland, has come from his passport, work papers,
        > original social security application and citizenship papers.
        >
        > I would welcome any and all sources, resources or shared data that
        > anyone is aware of. It would be nice to see an active list.
        >
        > Carol

      • Monica Whittenberger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2006
          HI Carol,
          I have a young lady in Tarnobrzeg who could be a relative of mine that would be glad to help you. I think she would have some access to the churches or at least find out something about it.
          She speaks English very well so there wouldn't be a language problem there.
          Just let me know if you want me to ask her if she can help. I do know that because Poland was ruled by so many different countries lots of info was lost, besides the fact that there were so many things were burned.
          I look forward to hearing from you.
          Monica

        • Monica Whittenberger

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2006
              Hi Monica,

              Thanks so much. If she is willing to help I would very much appreciate it.
              Ask her and if she will then i will send you what info I have to obtain
              whatever info is available.

              Thanks