Turbak/Dabrowica

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      -- Gayle Schlissel Riley <key2pst@...> wrote:
      http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Tarnobrzeg/

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      -------------
      JOHN,
      Gayle is right. You should access the archives and
      search them for all postings related to Dabrowica
      either Turbak. To do so use words "turbak"
      and "dabrowica " as a keywords. You are not the first
      one here mentioning those names. Aren't You wonder
      who else it might be?

      Then if You will have any request for phone numbers
      ask me. I have phonebook from Tarnobrzeg area.
      By the way I live in Connecticut too (in Derby).
      In my opinion You do not have enough time to do
      anything in Tarnobrzeg area by jumping from
      Warsaw. One way will take 3 hours by train and
      not much less by car(there is no highway).

      Sorry but I think,You do not have too much time
      to prepare yourself well enough to make your
      trip genealogically efficient.

    • Carole Vopat
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
        Dear Marek,

        I have been in contact with Gayle about Tarnobrzeg; perhaps you could also give me some information.

        My paternal grandparents are (were?) buried in the cemetery at Tarnobrzeg in 1921 and 1928. I've read that the Nazis destroyed the cemetery.

        I am flying from Chicago to Krakow this monday. A Polish friend is meeting me. If the graves no longer exist, and if there is nothing left of my father's town to see (he was born in 1888)--as I understand now Tarnobrzeg is an industrial city--is it worth the trouble to travel by public transporation to Tarnobrzeg?

        I am not a geneologist; am only interested in my father's immediate family.

        Would I be able to find my father's birth record?

        Do you know what became of the cemetery? Is it built over? Does the cemetery and its graves no longer exist?

        I am dithering about what to do. It would be a day's journey from Krakow to Tarnobrzeg and back.

        Any advice or opinion?

        Gratefully,
        Carole Gottlieb Vopat