JosephII's decree of July 23, 1787

  • Gayle Schlissel Riley
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2005
      I am looking for the documents generated by this decree requiring the
      Jews to take family names/surnames. IF you have seen or know of this
      decree or it's documents let me know..Thanks Gayle
    • John Turbak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2005
        Gayle,

        I signed up for the sight but I don't see much activity. Sorry, but I am not familar with Jewish topics. Do you have any info on this area? I am going over in September on a Church trip and would like to check on some relatives. My name is very prevalent in the area. a suburb named Dabrowica and I believe one called Slezaki.

        Thanks

        John Turbak

        Gayle Schlissel Riley <key2pst@...> wrote:
        I am looking for the documents generated by this decree requiring the
        Jews to take family names/surnames. IF you have seen or know of this
        decree or it's documents let me know..Thanks Gayle

        Genealogical Created

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2005
          Hello, Gayle,

          I have not found any documents about this particular decree. I recall
          reading about it, but cannot remember the source. One other document that might
          be of interest to people researching Jewish genealogy in the Prussian
          partition is Frederick William II's emancipation decree of March 11, 1812. An
          excerpt can be found in "The Jew in the Modern World; A Documentary History", Flohr
          & Reinharz ed, Oxford University Press, 1995, pg. 141. I'll let you know if
          I find the source for Austria.

          Curtis Urness

          In a message dated 7/30/2005 6:04:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          key2pst@... writes:

          I am looking for the documents generated by this decree requiring the
          Jews to take family names/surnames. IF you have seen or know of this
          decree or it's documents let me know..Thanks Gayle

        • Carol Queen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
            Hi John & all,

            This list is not one that stays busy, but those who are subscribed have been
            members for a long time. I guess we just run out of data to share. Where are
            you going in Tarnobrzeg?

            I am going to create a page on my website for the Tarnobrzeg area. I would
            appreciate any info/data/pictures that anyone may be willing to scan to me,
            so I can make a place where other researchers can find info. John, if you
            take pictures and don't mind, I'd love you to scan them to me, so I can put
            them on the website.

            My interest is in the town of Turbia. My grandfather, Walenty Bera gives
            that as his place of birth. I've written to the churches there and even
            emailed a Bera in the area, but they don't appear to be very cooperative
            with researchers. I've never received a reply to any of my correspondence.
            Anyone else researching in this town?

            Thanks
            Carol
            > I signed up for the sight but I don't see much activity. Sorry, but I am
            > not familar with Jewish topics. Do you have any info on this area? I am
            > going over in September on a Church trip and would like to check on some
            > relatives. My name is very prevalent in the area. a suburb named Dabrowica
            > and I believe one called Slezaki.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > John Turbak
            >
            > Gayle Schlissel Riley <key2pst@...> wrote:
            > I am looking for the documents generated by this decree requiring the
            > Jews to take family names/surnames. IF you have seen or know of this
            > decree or it's documents let me know..Thanks Gayle
            >

            > Sign in to Yahoo http://edit.yahoo.com/config/
            > to have access to our archives
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tarnobrzeg-gen

            > Genealogical Created

            > Sign in to Yahoo http://edit.yahoo.com/config/
            > to have access to our archives
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tarnobrzeg-gen
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • John Turbak
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
              Carol,

              Unfortunately the 8 day church trip I am taking will not be stopping in Tarnobrzeg (Warsaw-Gdansk-Poznan-Warsaw and other stops in between). The price was right and friends were going so I said yes. I will have to venture from the tour group to get to Tarnobrzeg. This may be difficult, but if it makes sense I'll do it. Worst case I'll try making some phonecalls and check out some phonebooks. I plan on making another trip sans tour group and visit this area the following year. I also have opportunities with job to travel to this area (Rzeszow)

              The trip this year will be my first trip and I will use it as a way to get familiar with the country at a minimum. I am taking Polish lessons and plan on visiting Germany-Austria-Poland to use my German and Polish language skills and research my heritage.

              Where is Turbia? Near Tarnobrzeg? This name sounds familiar.

              See: http://www.historia.rozwadow.pl/forum.php?cmd=show&id=25&category=10

              John Turbak

              Carol Queen <postalq@...> wrote:
              Hi John & all,

              This list is not one that stays busy, but those who are subscribed have been
              members for a long time. I guess we just run out of data to share. Where are
              you going in Tarnobrzeg?

              I am going to create a page on my website for the Tarnobrzeg area. I would
              appreciate any info/data/pictures that anyone may be willing to scan to me,
              so I can make a place where other researchers can find info. John, if you
              take pictures and don't mind, I'd love you to scan them to me, so I can put
              them on the website.

              My interest is in the town of Turbia. My grandfather, Walenty Bera gives
              that as his place of birth. I've written to the churches there and even
              emailed a Bera in the area, but they don't appear to be very cooperative
              with researchers. I've never received a reply to any of my correspondence.
              Anyone else researching in this town?

              Thanks
              Carol
              > I signed up for the sight but I don't see much activity. Sorry, but I am
              > not familar with Jewish topics. Do you have any info on this area? I am
              > going over in September on a Church trip and would like to check on some
              > relatives. My name is very prevalent in the area. a suburb named Dabrowica
              > and I believe one called Slezaki.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > John Turbak
              >
              > Gayle Schlissel Riley <key2pst@...> wrote:
              > I am looking for the documents generated by this decree requiring the
              > Jews to take family names/surnames. IF you have seen or know of this
              > decree or it's documents let me know..Thanks Gayle
              >

              > Sign in to Yahoo http://edit.yahoo.com/config/
              > to have access to our archives
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tarnobrzeg-gen

              > Genealogical Created

              > Sign in to Yahoo http://edit.yahoo.com/config/
              > to have access to our archives
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tarnobrzeg-gen
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --

            • Carol Queen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
                John,

                LOL... I wonder if Turbia sounds familiar because your name is Turbak?
                Anyway, here are a few websites with info on Turbia. I will put any photos
                of Poland on my website, so if you do take some, I'd be happy to post them.

                http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Kolbuszowa/Grebow/grebow1.html

                http://um.podkarpackie.pl/documents/20030821_Str_ang2.pdf

                http://upcbcagency.org.ua/print.php?mid=2449