Re: [tarnobrzeg-gen] RE: Looking for Cousin

  • mowilgo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 10:39 AM
      Hanka,

      Are there any Polish Genealogical Societies in Australia?

      My maternal grandmother had a 'black sheep' brother who had children with 3
      women -- one in Poland, one in Europe somewhere who was displaced to Australia
      after WWII, and the last in the USA.

      I would like to find that woman and her two sons, who went to Australia, and
      need a Genealogical Society for advice.

      If there is no Society just for Poles, how about one for eastern Europe, or
      even a general one.

      Good luck in your search.

      Marianne Wielgosz

    • ozzpol88
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31 7:19 PM
        Marianne,

        Our Archives are spread throughout Australia - we have to travel many many kilometres to view information that we need - otherwise we have to rely on the people who work in them to give us details that we need.
        Do you know the name of the lady who had your btothers child - I could TRY looking for her details in the internet archives -- if you know the name you could possibly look for her yourself and find some details in the Australian Archive Section on the Internet Web Pages - I do not have the link but will look it up for you all if this is what you want???
        Most of the old documents are in Canberra - where we all need to make an application to get any information on our families - even ourselves - and they only give you what they want to - I will try and find out for you the different Geno-clubs in each state of Australia and Post it - if this is your wish - all my Family are in Poland except for my sister -
        I now have the phone number for my cousin and have spoken to her by phone.
        Please let me know what you decide and if you need anymore help.

        REGARDS and BLESSINGS
        from Hanka.

        mowilgo@... wrote:
        Hanka,

        Are there any Polish Genealogical Societies in Australia?

        My maternal grandmother had a 'black sheep' brother who had children with 3
        women -- one in Poland, one in Europe somewhere who was displaced to Australia
        after WWII, and the last in the USA.

        I would like to find that woman and her two sons, who went to Australia, and
        need a Genealogical Society for advice.

        If there is no Society just for Poles, how about one for eastern Europe, or
        even a general one.

        Good luck in your search.

        Marianne Wielgosz

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
          Thank you Hanka for your answer.

          The situation with my grandmother's brother was that my grandmother 'brought'
          him to the U.S. (Chicago actually) as it was apparently possible to that
          after World War II. When he arrived, he told her that he had these two sons with
          a woman, and he wanted my grandmother to sponsor this woman and the sons.

          My grandmother, a good Catholic, would not do it. She knew he had a Polish
          wife and 4 children in Poland, and my grandmother was not going to act as if
          that marriage meant nothing.

          So the story was that this woman and the sons ended up in Australia. I seem
          to remember some kind of connection to the Red Cross; whether they were the
          ones who helped relocate her or whether I remember them simply because someone
          told me that they could help in the search, I cannot recall.

          My aim in contacting you and asking about genealogy societies was that I
          thought they might be have information about relocation of 'displaced persons'
          after WWII.

          I had a name here somewhere that was related to the man's papers; I cannot be
          sure that it was her name, and right now I don't even know where it is. But
          in a month or two I will get back to working on it.

          So there is no hurry in my request, just post it here for me and others when
          you have the time. Thanks.

          Marianne Wielgosz
          Chicago