Kowalski in Tarnosbrzeg

  • Jeffrey Herman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2003
      Just discovered this website. I've been doing family research on my grandparents from Poland. My grandfather on my mother's side was born John(Jan) or Johan Kowalski on June 14 1891. I have two ducuments from his naturalization papers from Canada. One says he was born in Tarnobrzeg,the other in the town of Knapy near Padew. He married Mary Kulas from Wojkow in Sept 1919 in Mielec. The main reason I'm writing is from a letter from Christine Pacosz. My grandmother's parents names were Matthew or Micheal Kulas and Veronica Piekosz. Just wondering if Pacosz and Piekosz were the same surname lost in translation or english spelling. And also if Maria Kowalski could be a relative? Also any information on the surname Tyniec in the surrounding area. Let me know, Jeff from Winnipeg,Canada.

    • marek duszkiewicz
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2003
        On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:57:50 -0800 (PST) Jeffrey Herman
        <ibduncle@...> writes:

        > Just discovered this website. I've been doing family research on my
        > grandparents from Poland. My grandfather on my mother's side was
        > born John(Jan) or Johan Kowalski on June 14 1891. I have two
        > ducuments from his naturalization papers from Canada. One says he
        > was born in Tarnobrzeg,the other in the town of Knapy near Padew.

        I think the place of birth was KNAPY and Tarnobrzeg could be mentioned
        on the same document or the other as capital of the district, county etc.
        It still true today; KNAPY are in Tarnobrzeg "powiat"(county). I have
        friend
        who was born in Knapy and still has family there. He lives in Warsaw now
        but will on Christmas in Knapy for sure. If You have any details to be
        checked
        on the spot, let me know.

        > He married Mary Kulas from Wojkow in Sept 1919 in Mielec. The main
        > reason I'm writing is from a letter from Christine Pacosz. My
        > grandmother's parents names were Matthew or Micheal Kulas and
        > Veronica Piekosz. Just wondering if Pacosz and Piekosz were the same
        > surname lost in translation or english spelling.

        I hope there are more reasons to write Tarnobrzeg-gen than comparing
        (unjustified anyway) surnames Piekosz and Pacosz.

        > Also any information on the surname
        > Tyniec in the surrounding area. Let me know, Jeff from
        > Winnipeg,Canada.

        Everybody should run first his/her surnames, towns trough
        one of Internet search engines (Google for example) to see
        what could be found. that way I found following post:
        http://genforum.genealogy.com/poland/messages/4956.html
        which I learnt from about Cheryl Rozycki mailto:CherylRuff@...
        who also researching TYNIEC ftom PADEW NARODOWA.
        Beside last name of my friend living in Tarnobrzeg is also Tyniec.
        Also Tyniec family lives in Padew N. today.

        I can look up for surnames You mentioned in today Polish
        local phone books if You are interested. Let me know.

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!