      From: Marek Duszkiewicz
      To: tarnobrzeg-gen@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 1:48 AM
      Subject: Re: [tarnobrzeg-gen] Tarnobrzeg

      On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 01:42:53 -0000 "hamcoman" <hardesty@...>
      writes:
      > I understand during the late 1800's Poland was split into the
      > Austrian, Hungarian and Russian empires. I have been told that the
      > Vistula river was one of the diving lines, therefore, can someone
      > tell me which of the empires Tarnobrzeg belonged to in 1875?? I
      > always thought it was part of Austria, but this may be an error.
      > Marek???

      You are talking about era known as "partitions of
      Poland". Tere was 3 of them and
      always among 3 powers: Russia, Prussia and Austro-Hungarian
      Empire. Each time partition borders were changed but in case
      of Tarnobrzeg there always was Austro-Hungarian rule for 146 years
      (1772-1918).
      You can learn more about it and see maps at
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/ausgeruss.html

      or/and
      http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/p/poland-p1.asp