1606Re: [tarnobrzeg-gen] Hi! I am a new member!

  • mowilgo@aol.com
    Feb 4, 2008
      Interesting that you mention the name Obara. My grandfather was from
      Dabrowica, a small village outside Tarnobrzeg. My mother had a good friend named
      Obara, I think her first name was Sophie. They lived in the St. Ann's Parish
      area of Chicago, in the area near Pilsen. They may have become friends
      because the fathers knew each other.

      If I remember this Sophie correctly, her married name is Kantarek, and she
      would be in her mid-80s, if she is still alive. I looked up the name online
      and her son Jeff has a phone listing, and a listing for S. Kantarek could be
      her daughter Susan if she is using her maiden name. If you chose to call
      them, you may mention my name (Marianne Wielgosz) and my mother's (Irene Szpyt
      Wielgosz), and the fact that my grandfather Joseph Szpyt had a butcher shop.

      I have not had luck with this side of my family, as my grandfather and his
      two brothers came to the US, but the brothers never married and were probably
      drunks and drifters.

      My grandfather came to the US first, going to St. Joseph Missouri and
      working in the meatpacking plants there. I guess that was the basis for his skill
      with meats, and led him to buy a shop when he came to Chicago, where he met
      and married my grandmother.

      Let me know if you learn anything helpful. I never thought of talking to her
      or her family as I thought she and my mother were just school friends. Now
      I think there may have been other reasons for their friendship.

      Marianne

      In a message dated 2/4/2008 8:27:50 AM Central Standard Time,
      britneyhawk@... writes:

      Hello Everyone

      My name is Britney Hawk and I am a new member to the group. I have
      been researching my family history for about 7 years and I am
      currently working on my great-grandmother'currently working on my great-gr
      recently discovered Baptismal record, I found that she was from the
      Tarnobrzeg area. Here is what I know:

      Name: Zofia (aka Sophia, Sophie) Obara - Married name: Cieszynski
      Born: 2-22-1885 in Durdy, Galacia
      Died: 3-23-1978 in Milwaukee, WI
      Immigrated: 3-24-1905 through Ellis Island
      Parents: John (Joannes)Obara and Katherine Durda

      According to Baptismal records, (which were in Latin) her Godparents
      were Josephus Durda and Agatha Durda. The midwife who delivered her
      was listed as Marianne Obara. She was baptized in the parish of Wola
      Baranowska, in the district of Tarnobrzeg, in the subdiocese of
      Mielec, in the Diocese of Tarnow.

      Also, I think I may have found a sister who also immigrated to the
      United States. Her name is Justyna. She arrived in the US on 5-24-1911
      through Ellis Island, at the age of 21 years. Her place of origin was
      Durdy, Galacia.

      If any of you have any suggestions on where I can go from here or
      think that you may be related in some way, I would greatly appreciate
      any help that I can get.

      Thank you!
      Britney Hawk

      48)