Taoist thought: being

  • lisbeth west
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      my apologies again for sending this with return receipt (requested). I have had to group these into 10 different email for some isps to accept the format, and would like to see what problems may arise. Please bear with me!
      thanks so much.       lisbeth

      New! Forum to discuss these Tao thoughts
      go to www.duckdaotsu.org/forum.html

      The greatest thing seems incomplete
      yet it never wears out
      the fullest thing seems empty
      yet it never runs dry
      the straightest thing seems crooked
      the cleverest thing seems clumsy
      the richest thing seems poor
      activity overcomes cold
      stillness overcomes heat
      who can be perfectly still
      is able to govern the world
      daodejing #45
      translated by Red Pine

      Chinese character for the word "being"

      four types of eggs, which is what?

      Meditation is a total state of being.

      Many people do not understand meditation, and so they reject it. Even those who accept it sometimes understand it in only a fragmentary way. Some think of it as a relaxation exercise; others think of it as a mere spiritual cultism. Even the fact that meditation is an uncommon word in everyday language is unfortunate, for it reinforces the view that it is something strange.

      Meditation is a state of being. It is a mode of existence. what is difficult to communicate is that meditation is an act that occurs simultaneously on all levels of a person's life. For example, let's take the proverbial "contemplating your navel." If this is done correctly, here are some of the things that can happen: increased digestion, better elimination of the bowels, increased sexual vigor along with enhanced control, greater vitality, improved circulation, increased appetite, stabilized emotions, calmer mind, understanding of deep spiritual truths, and total absorption in a blissful state of being.

      It is difficult for people to accept that a single activity could span a continuum from better bowel movements to spiritual bliss. But unless meditation was so extraordinary, ow else could it be expected to occupy such an honored place in people's lives?

      being
      by Deng Ming-Dao
      from the book 365 Tao
      Daily Meditations
      ISBN 0-06--250223-9

      forum!

      "eggz"
      © 2006 by
      lisbethwest

      for a short reading list of Taoist and Zen material,
      please go to http://www.duckdaotsu.org/tao_books.html
      (duckdaotsu receives a small monetary contribution
      when books are purchased from that location)

      to subscribe to daily Taoist meditations
      to duckdaotsu
      write SUBSCRIBE TAO in the subject line

      archived at
      http://www.duckdaotsu.org/nov06/being.html

      email to friend

      visit my online shop! at http://www.cafepress.com/duckdaotsu
      request any graphic you see here to be used on any item
      in the online store or as a photographic print for framing

      only a mac can make it!
      please support and show your appreciation for
      the work that goes into each email or
      website taoist thought.

      donate once
      or "subscribe" monthly ($5.00)
      THANK YOU to
      to all who have written and
      for your generous support!
      want to send a check or money order?
      at duckdaotsu for the address
      (donations are NOT required to receive email daoist thought!)

    • C Gerl
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006

        Your messages are always a blessing lisbeth.

        Sincerely,

        Euphoria