Taoist meditation: Solitude

  • lisbeth west
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006

      solitude

      deer in our back yard

      There are no ancients before me,
      No followers behind:
      Only the vastness of heaven and earth
      On this mountain terrace.
      Though heaven may know the ultimate,
      Joy or sorry is our own will.

      We stand alone in this life. No one lives our life for us. Neither drug nor sorcery can remove us, even for a moment, from our own life. We can deny it, but it is useless. We are here alone, to engage every precious moment according to our wills.

      The precedents of the ancients may be helpful, but in the end they are only references. The thought of those who will follow after us is likewise merely a consideration. What matters is being, pure being. Accept who you are. Be who you are.

      If there are gods in the heavens, maybe they know the future. As a human being, I can only say that the future is yet to be made. Let us go forth and make it, but let us make it as beautifully as we can. The degree of elegance is determined by our will and the perfection of our own personalities. Therefore, do not sigh over misfortune or adversity. Whether you are happy or sad is entirely up to you.

      solitude
      by Deng Ming-Dao
      from the book 365 Tao

      Daily Meditations
      ISBN 0-06--250223-9
      ©2006
      lisbeth west
      “Two Deer”
      for a short reading list of Taoist and Zen material, please go to
      http://www.duckdaotsu.org/dao_books.html
      (duckdaotsu receives a small monetary contribution
       if  you purchase books from this listing)

      to subscribe to the daily Taoist meditations,
      please send an email to "duckdaotsu"
      and write SUBSCRIBE TAO in the subject line.

      archived at http://www.duckdaotsu.org/oct06/solitude.html
      email to friend

        visit my online shop! at http://www.cafepress.com/duckdaotsu
      request any graphic you see here to be used on any item
      in the online store or as a photographic print for framing

      mac G3 tower adobe professional software
      please support and show your appreciation for
      the work that goes into each email or
      website taoist thought. donate once
      or "subscribe" monthly ($5.00)
      THANK YOU to
      to all who have written and
      for your generous support!
      want to send a check or money order?
      email me at duckdaotsu for the address
      (donations are NOT required to receive email daoist thought!)