Tao Thought: Tree

  • lisbeth west
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2006

      Partial means whole
      crooked means straight
      hollow means full
      worn-out means new
      less means content
      more means confused
      thus the sage holds onto the one
      to use in guiding the world
      not watching himself  he appears
      not displaying himself  he succeeds
      not parading himself  he leads
      because he doesn't complete
      no one can compete against him
      the ancients who said partial means whole
      came close indeed
      becoming whole depends on this
      daodejing #22
      translated by Red Pine

      tree

      root to stem to bloom to tree to sky

      Did you measure to attain your height?
      Did you use geometry to radiate your limbs?
      Did you lament storm-torn branches?
      Did you inventory your leaves for the sun?
      You did none of these things, yet man in his
           cleverness
      Cannot match your perfection.

      When will we give up the artificiality of our tiresome lives and leave instead to what is natural? All the achievements of man are only monuments to overwhelming pride. There has not been a single man-made item that has been a necessary improvement to the earth. Did we need the Great Wall of China? Did we need the pyramids of Egypt? Did we need the Colossus of Rhodes? Did we need mechanism, steam power, electricity, nuclear power, or computer technology? All our achievements have been for the sake of our exclusive comfort and gratification. We have only advanced the mad tangle of supply and demand that we call civilization.

      We don't need all this "sophistication" in order to live with Tao. Our involvement in society blinds us to this fact. We ignore the natural order of our own bodies and minds and close ourselves to the point that only sex and drugs are stimulating enough. We lament that we are lost and alienated. Ironically, the answers are right nearby. If you just go to the nearest tree and contemplate, you will easily see the secret to natural living.

      Tree
      by Deng Ming-Dao
      from the book 365 Tao
      Daily Meditations
      ISBN 0-06--250223-9
      ©2006
      lisbeth west
      “root to stem to bloom to tree to sky”

      where would we be
      without art and language?
      (just a transcriber's thought... )
      does art create the world?
      does language imitate or initiate thought?

      illusion
      for a short reading list of Taoist and Zen material, please go to
      http://www.duckdaotsu.org/dao_books.html
      (duckdaotsu receives a small monetary contribution
       if  you purchase books from this listing)

      to subscribe to the daily Taoist meditations,
      please send an email to "duckdaotsu"
      and write SUBSCRIBE TAO in the subject line.

      archived at http://www.duckdaotsu.org/sep06/tree.html

      email to friend

        visit my online shop! at http://www.cafepress.com/duckdaotsu
      request any graphic you see here to be used on any item
      in the online store or as a photographic print for framing
      mac G3 tower adobe professional software