Cultivating Stillness

  • Brian Bowles
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4 9:43 PM
      Greetings everyone. It would appear that I am the first to post here.
      I think I'll make first post a place for everyone to introduce
      themselves, tell abit about themselves and how they came to studying
      the way and what readings helped them come to such deep understandings
      of life
      Well, here I go. My name is Brian and I'm 31. I study martial arts
      (wushu, tai chi, alittle bit of jet keen do and staff), I do midevil
      reinactment (daorhir), massive amounts of reading/self directed
      learning on everything from eastern philosophies, religons, quantum
      theory physics and psychology. I game alot as well which include
      everything from euro boardgames to RPG's (mostly AD&D) to solitary
      logic games like soduko and planarity. I also build computers and do
      graphic arts for fun as well.
      I've been practicing martial arts in form or another since I was
      about 8. I devoted my as much of my energy to the philosophys as to
      the art itself. I grew up under a christian roof like everyone else,
      my mother being a former sgt in the salvation army and my father being
      a traveling preacher and self directed church scholar. Most of my high
      school was spent working my way up the church ladder, sunday school
      teacher, lay speaker and giving an occasional sermon. My senior year I
      rea "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman and that is when I
      came to a cross roads. I asked my minister what would happen to his
      Holiness the Dali Lama and upon hearing the answer I stepped away from
      Christianity. I delved into the world of the Samurai and the code of
      the Bushido as well as Taoism. In my late 20's my now wife introduced
      me to Wicca which I practiced for several years. I started studying
      Buddhism not too long after that. I finally came to be where I am,
      studying Taoism, when I came to the understanding that enlightment is
      not for me(this is another post in itself) and that I thrived on
      balance. The text of the Tao Te Ching came so naturally that I
      realized that was the path or the way, not to sound cliche', for me.

      The most influencial readings:
      The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
      The Sacred Journey by Dan Millman
      365 Tao by Deng Ming-Dao
      The Art of Happiness (haven't finished) by His Holiness the Dali Lama
      Cultivating Stillness (haven't finished) by Eva Wong
      Awakening to Zen by Roshi Philip Kapleau
      Dropping Ashes on Buddha by Stephen Mitchell
      Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
      Hagakuri translated by Thomas Cleary
      Hyperspace (haven't finished yet) by Michio Kaku
    • C Gerl
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4 9:49 PM
        Thanks so much Brian! I will post an introduction about myself as well
        later on. However, I think this is a good idea.

        Sincerely,
        Euphoria

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Yun Xing
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 9:49 PM

           Greetings Brian,

           Nice to read a thorough story of experiences.

            Peace,

          Yun Xing

          Yun Xing

          Yun Xing Pai
          Jinan, Shandong China

          http://www.freewebs.com/yunxingpai/index.htm

        • Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6 2:36 PM
            Howdy Ya'll,

            I'm Chuk from New York, I'm currently a disciple in Northern Mantis
            and Da Cheng Dao.

            My primary arts were aninals styles and my certification is in Hung Ga
            and Wing Chun. I pretty much shelved it all to study Northern Arts
            and practices.

            Just wanted to say "Hi" to Yun Xing Pai and say I enjoyed your vids
            posted over at youtube.com

            Chuk T.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6 2:54 PM
                 Hi Chuk,

               Nice to meet you and glad you enjoyed the videos.
               How are your practices of Northern systems and Da Cheng Dao doing?

               Peace,
               Yun Xing

              posted over at youtube.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13 3:20 PM
                Yun Xing,

                The Da Cheng Dao is excellent, the strength and health benefits of
                Zhang Zhuang are well worth the discipline. The Mei Hua Tai Ji Tang
                Lang is a bit more athletic and academically a much larger amount of
                material to cover. I prefer standing and meditation to form memorization.

                On the subject of cultivating stillness, I'd like to add this article
                that was sent to me recently by a training partner. It adds weight to
                my position that there are no substitutes for meditations benefits and
                that these benefits are available to everyone.

                http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/051111_medidate.html

                Peace,
                Chuk T.

                --- In taoistpath@yahoogroups.com, Yun Xing <yunxingpai@...> wrote:

                > Hi Chuk,
                >
                > Nice to meet you and glad you enjoyed the videos.
                > How are your practices of Northern systems and Da Cheng Dao doing?
                >
                > Peace,
                > Yun Xing
                >

                > Thomas <elohim4hire@...> wrote: Howdy Ya'll,
                >
                > I'm Chuk from New York, I'm currently a disciple in Northern Mantis
                > and Da Cheng Dao.
                >
                > My primary arts were aninals styles and my certification is in Hung Ga
                > and Wing Chun. I pretty much shelved it all to study Northern Arts
                > and practices.
                >
                > Just wanted to say "Hi" to Yun Xing Pai and say I enjoyed your vids
                > posted over at youtube.com
                >

                > Chuk T.
              • Yun Xing
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 13 3:35 PM

                   Chuk,

                    I have seen videos on Mei Hua Taiji Tang Lang. Very nice, and yes, very atheletic. I did like it though. I have practiced a bit of Tang Lang Quan, but at the time, my knee was not too happy, and so, I discontinued the practice. I did like it though because its big movements and low stances work the body externally.

                    There is a saying in some Daoist Cultivation circles: "Summer standing, winter sitting."

                   The meaning is in the summer, since Yang is most active, Zhan ZHuang is its complement. In the Winter, when Yin is high, sitting meditation is its complement.

                    I followed that this past year.. good stuff.

                   As well, cultivating in any manner according to your own conditions is best. Like for men, women have a particular mannerism in which is best to practice. Again, what fits for one's own conditions is best.

                    Peace,
                   Yun Xing