868Re: Help requested US Army camouflage during Cold War period

  • lance_mertz
    Feb 2, 2010
      I was in the 2nd ACR in Bamberg from 1979 to 1980. Basically, the Merdc camouflage was the same pattern as regular camouflage, but made of 4 inch squares. The pain brushes we used were 4 inches across and the paint was put on using squares, not smooth transition lines. The colors were standard NATO colors, with a base of forest green, then a medium earth and sand and finally slotches of black here and here. I never saw any other units with this scheme. The 1st Armor tanks in Bamberg had the standard US army camouflage. Oh, all of our vehicles had this scheme.

      Does this help?

      Lance

      --- In tankcrewman@yahoogroups.com, sabbi12000 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Hello Guys,
      >
      > my name is Bernd Glanz, I'm German and I live near Illesheim/Ansbach where
      > currently the 12th CAB is stationed.
      >
      > My friend an I, we are currently working on a projekt - the US Army camouflage
      > on combat vehicles during the Cold War.
      >
      > We already got some pics and an Army Manual, but we are looking for soldiers who
      > were in service during the period ca. 1974 until 1986.
      >
      > If there is someone out there who can help with the early MERDC camouflage,
      > please feel free to contact me.
      >
      > What we didn't know yet is if there was an Army TM or FM for these two
      > camouflage patterns - Masster and Dual Tex, which were used only?! by 7th US
      > Army and 2nd Armored Cav.
      >
      > Maybe you know some people or can help us in other ways - all help is welcome.
      >
      > If anyone would like to know something about US posts in Germany, my help is
      > offered. For all who don't know Usarmygermany, please visit and help Walter with
      > his outstanding work :
      >
      > http://www.usarmygermany.com/
      >

      > Our own homepage is
      >
      > http://www.munamuseum.de/
      >

      > and we collect all kind of military items, refugees and so on which were used in
      > our area from 1870 until now, when we have a friendship with 12th CAB in
      > Ansbach/Illesheim.
      >

      > Maybe you want to have a look at our homepage, just to make sure thats not only
      > a kind of picture collecting.
      >

      > Best regards from Germany and god bless you all!
      >

      > Bernd Glanz

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic