Please consider for Tuesday Night Discussion Group

  • Kris Sellers
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13 11:49 AM
      I am moving a live server over, so this is a "Do it in 2 hours or
      less" type thing

      If I create the Security on the new server, then detach, copy and
      attach the databases from the old server to the new server....

      Am I going to have any security problems or will everything link up
      ok?

      And, if the answer is no, HELP!!!

      I don't want to have to create all the rights to all the DB's if I
      don't have to.

      Thanks,

      Kristeen
    • Jeff Garbus
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 13 12:10 PM
        Are you using sql server or nt security? Is it on the same domain?

        On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 3:05 pm, Kris Sellers wrote:

        > I am moving a live server over, so this is a "Do it in 2 hours or
        > less" type thing
        >
        > If I create the Security on the new server, then detach, copy and
        > attach the databases from the old server to the new server....
        >
        > Am I going to have any security problems or will everything link up
        > ok?
        >
        > And, if the answer is no, HELP!!!
        >
        > I don't want to have to create all the rights to all the DB's if I
        > don't have to.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kristeen
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        regards,

        Jeff Garbus
        www.soaringeagle.biz
        813 949 7016 (o)
        813 354 4681 (f)
      • Kris Sellers
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 14 5:02 AM
          Mixed.

          Yes, it will be on the same domain

          --- In tampasql@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Garbus <jeff@s...> wrote:
          > Are you using sql server or nt security? Is it on the same domain?
          >
          > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 3:05 pm, Kris Sellers wrote:
          > >

          > > I am moving a live server over, so this is a "Do it in 2 hours or
          > > less" type thing
          > >
          > > If I create the Security on the new server, then detach, copy and
          > > attach the databases from the old server to the new server....
          > >
          > > Am I going to have any security problems or will everything link
          up
          > > ok?
          > >
          > > And, if the answer is no, HELP!!!
          > >
          > > I don't want to have to create all the rights to all the DB's if
          > > don't have to.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Kristeen
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > regards,
          >
          > Jeff Garbus
          > www.soaringeagle.biz
          > 813 949 7016 (o)
          > 813 354 4681 (f)
        • Chris Leonard
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 14 2:29 PM
            Kris,

            If you script the logins from the original server and put them onto the new
            server, and do the detach / attach thing, you will be fine. There is a
            script floating around on the Internet called sp_help_revlogin (google it to
            find it) that does most of the work. It does not get fixed server role
            membership for the logins, or default database assignments, but I think it
            gets everything else that matters. I use it to move logins between servers
            all the time.

            There is also a DTS task to copy logins, though I haven't used it for a
            while, so I can't remember how complete of a job it does. I think
            sp_help_revlogin does a better job, from what I remember.

            Alternatively, why not restore the master database from the original server
            onto the new server? Is it really a new server? If so, that might work
            better for you. After restoring the master db onto the new server, SQL
            would mark all the "missing" user DBs as suspect, and then you could drop
            them, and the attach your DB files.

            Hope this helps,
            Chris

            "I am incurably convinced that the object of opening the mind,
            as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid."
            G. K. Chesterton

            | Message: 2
            | Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:02:45 -0000
            | From: "Kris Sellers" <msflinxusa@...>
            | Subject: Re: Please consider for Tuesday Night Discussion Group
            |

            | Mixed.
            |
            | Yes, it will be on the same domain
            |
            | --- In tampasql@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Garbus <jeff@s...> wrote:
            | > Are you using sql server or nt security? Is it on the same domain?
            | >
            | > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 3:05 pm, Kris Sellers wrote:
            | > >

            | > > I am moving a live server over, so this is a "Do it in 2 hours or
            | > > less" type thing
            | > >
            | > > If I create the Security on the new server, then detach, copy and
            | > > attach the databases from the old server to the new server....
            | > >
            | > > Am I going to have any security problems or will everything link
            | up
            | > > ok?
            | > >
            | > > And, if the answer is no, HELP!!!
            | > >
            | > > I don't want to have to create all the rights to all the DB's if
            | > > don't have to.
            | > >
            | > > Thanks,
            | > >
            | > > Kristeen
            | > >

            | > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            | > >

            | > regards,
            | >
            | > Jeff Garbus
            | > www.soaringeagle.biz
            | > 813 949 7016 (o)
            | > 813 354 4681 (f)
            |

            | ______________________________________________________________
            |

            | --------------------------------------------------------------
            | ----------

          • Jeff Duncan
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 14 2:36 PM

              The DTS job to copy logins does not copy the password.  It will copy the logins and permissions but sets the password to blank.  I am attaching the script to generate the logins mentioned.

              Jeff Duncan

              Office  813-414-7008

              Cell    813-323-2615

              If you script the logins from the original server and put them onto the new
              server, and do the detach / attach thing, you will be fine.  There is a
              script floating around on the Internet called sp_help_revlogin (google it to
              find it) that does most of the work.  It does not get fixed server role
              membership for the logins, or default database assignments, but I think it
              gets everything else that matters.  I use it to move logins between servers
              all the time.

              There is also a DTS task to copy logins, though I haven't used it for a
              while, so I can't remember how complete of a job it does.  I think
              sp_help_revlogin does a better job, from what I remember.

              Alternatively, why not restore the master database from the original server
              onto the new server?  Is it really a new server?  If so, that might work
              better for you.  After restoring the master db onto the new server, SQL
              would mark all the "missing" user DBs as suspect, and then you could drop
              them, and the attach your DB files.

              Hope this helps,
              Chris

              "I am incurably convinced that the object of opening the mind,
              as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid."
                 G. K. Chesterton

              | Message: 2
              |    Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:02:45 -0000
              |    From: "Kris Sellers" <msflinxusa@...>
              | Subject: Re: Please consider for Tuesday Night Discussion Group
              |

              | Mixed.
              |
              | Yes, it will be on the same domain
              |
              | --- In tampasql@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Garbus <jeff@s...> wrote:
              | > Are you using sql server or nt security? Is it on the same domain?
              | >
              | > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 3:05 pm, Kris Sellers wrote:
              | > >

              | > > I am moving a live server over, so this is a "Do it in 2 hours or
              | > > less" type thing
              | > >
              | > > If I create the Security on the new server, then detach, copy and
              | > > attach the databases from the old server to the new server....
              | > >
              | > > Am I going to have any security problems or will everything link
              | up
              | > > ok?
              | > >
              | > > And, if the answer is no, HELP!!!
              | > >
              | > > I don't want to have to create all the rights to all the DB's if
              | > > don't have to.
              | > >
              | > > Thanks,
              | > >
              | > > Kristeen
              | > >

              | > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              | > >

              | > regards,
              | >
              | > Jeff Garbus
              | > www.soaringeagle.biz
              | > 813 949 7016 (o)
              | > 813 354 4681 (f)
              |

              | ______________________________________________________________
              |

              | --------------------------------------------------------------
              | ----------

            • Kris Sellers
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 15 5:30 AM
                Everyone: THANK YOU for your help. I you are at the meeting
                tonight, I will thank you in person.

                OK -- to answer the questions:

                This will be a replacement server and it is a brand new box, running
                Windows Server 2003 (I installed SQL Server 2000 & SP3 on it
                yesterday)

                After everything is installed, the server name (and domain) will be
                the same as the old name.

                The security on the SQL Server box is mixed.

                What I will do:

                I am going to try two things and see which works best:

                Scripting the Logins from the old Server and then running the
                scripts in the new Server's Master DB

                Look at the sp_help_revlogin and see if it what it does and if it is
                a better option.

                Jeff & Chris:

                I have never had much success with replacing a master DB on a
                server. If either of you are at the meeting tonight, I would enjoy
                discussing this in person.
              • Jeff Duncan
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 15 7:54 AM

                  I have actually done it 20 times in the last 2 weeks.  We just had a big move to a new IT center.  I will be there tonight.

                  Jeff Duncan

                  Office  813-414-7008

                  Cell    813-323-2615

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 15 8:17 AM
                    Excellent.  I have a similar project to complete this week and would like to chat with you as well.

                    Bob Clark

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 15 10:01 AM
                      Sorry, I'm in hartford this week...

                      On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 8:32 am, Kris Sellers wrote:

                      > Everyone: THANK YOU for your help. I you are at the meeting
                      > tonight, I will thank you in person.
                      >
                      > OK -- to answer the questions:
                      >
                      > This will be a replacement server and it is a brand new box, running
                      > Windows Server 2003 (I installed SQL Server 2000 & SP3 on it
                      > yesterday)
                      >
                      > After everything is installed, the server name (and domain) will be
                      > the same as the old name.
                      >
                      > The security on the SQL Server box is mixed.
                      >
                      > What I will do:
                      >
                      > I am going to try two things and see which works best:
                      >
                      > Scripting the Logins from the old Server and then running the
                      > scripts in the new Server's Master DB
                      >
                      > Look at the sp_help_revlogin and see if it what it does and if it is
                      > a better option.
                      >
                      > Jeff & Chris:
                      >
                      > I have never had much success with replacing a master DB on a
                      > server. If either of you are at the meeting tonight, I would enjoy
                      > discussing this in person.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      regards,

                      Jeff Garbus
                      www.soaringeagle.biz
                      813 949 7016 (o)
                      813 354 4681 (f)
                    • Jeff Duncan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 16 11:06 AM

                        A lot of people asked me about this so here is a doc that I just threw together showing how to move all the user and system databases to another location on the machine.  It’s not fancy but the info works well.

                        Jeff Duncan

                        Office  813-414-7008

                        Cell    813-323-2615

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 16 11:08 AM