Re: [tamilinix] TI 2001 Communique

  • SiSrivas@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 2:55 PM
      Following is my thought on doubled up "ou" logic.
      IThose involved in Tamil Unicode, please llok at this and comment before I
      take this matter further.

      U+0BCC = otaicombu+x+oumarker
      U+0BD7 = x+oumarker

      Both of the above together cannot make up the Consonant+ou series of
      ligatures. This is logically wrong and extremely complex.
      The U+0BD7 should be removed and only a consonant + 0BCC should render
      Consonant+ou series of ligatures.

      Sinnathurai Srivas
    • t_vasee@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 3:24 PM
        Hi Srivas,

        > Both of the above together cannot make up the Consonant+ou series of
        > ligatures. This is logically wrong and extremely complex.
        > The U+0BD7 should be removed and only a consonant + 0BCC should render
        > Consonant+ou series of ligatures.

        Consontant + 0BCC is definitely more logical. This should make searching and indexing
        code more simpler too. It would be a disaster if unicode tamil also turns into a glyph
        encoding (via things like U+0BD7).

        BTW, I've seen that your TabAvarangal2 font has glyphs in the Private User Area
        starting from somwhere in 0Exxx. The linux glibc implemenation has them in rather
        different places (0Fxxx and up). I'm wondering whether there is any kind of registry for
        these private use area glyphs. Do you know how Microsoft have done this in the Latha
        font? We sure don't want to end up with "different" unicode implementations, don't we?

        -Vasee