Tamil Networking: Tamil Instant Messenger

  • Bala Pillai
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
      Anbulla Thamil Innaiya Nanbargale,

      Anyone interested in initiating the Tamilisation of an open-source Instant
      Messenger client? Or to make seamless Tamil language networking available?

      Below's a user input to spur thought on http://www.jabber.org

      anbudan../bala
      bala@...
      Founder, Thamil Innaiyam (since 1995)
      http://www.tamil.net/list/tamil

      Tamil Networking: Tamil Instant Messenger

      http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10060-601-3879009.html?tag=st.dl.10060-
      100-3879009.&tag=st.dl.10060-100-3879009.ur.10060-601-3879009

      "Why bother, get Jabber instead"

      I thought that a "commercial" offering might yield a good result. I was
      sorely disappointed. Evidently they don't have their "Stuff" down pat yet. I
      can't connect the AIM (the most important one for me) at all, and haven't
      even bothered w/ Yahoo or ICQ. I'll stick to one of the free open source
      clients from Jabber.org. I know they work, and I also pick up MSN. No
      advertising, either. If the "big guys" every get their acts together,
      they'll probably cramp the open source offerings, but for right now,
      JAbberIM or WinJab work on my windows machine, and there are a ton of
      offerings for linux, java machines, and mac. I'll stick w/ what I know
      works.
    • Dinesh Nadarajah
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
        Hi Bala:

        I am very pleased that someone is taking the initiative. While I would
        like to help, I am currently tied up in translating Gnome.

        I wish you the best of luck.

        Regards,

        -Dinesh

        --- Bala Pillai <bala@...> wrote:
        > Anbulla Thamil Innaiya Nanbargale,
        >
        > Anyone interested in initiating the Tamilisation of an open-source
        > Instant
        > Messenger client? Or to make seamless Tamil language networking
        > available?
        >
        > Below's a user input to spur thought on http://www.jabber.org
        >
        > anbudan../bala
        > bala@...
        > Founder, Thamil Innaiyam (since 1995)
        > http://www.tamil.net/list/tamil
        >

        > Tamil Networking: Tamil Instant Messenger

        http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10060-601-3879009.html?tag=st.dl.10060-
        > 100-3879009.&tag=st.dl.10060-100-3879009.ur.10060-601-3879009
        >
        > "Why bother, get Jabber instead"
        >
        > I thought that a "commercial" offering might yield a good result. I
        > was
        > sorely disappointed. Evidently they don't have their "Stuff" down pat
        > yet. I
        > can't connect the AIM (the most important one for me) at all, and
        > haven't
        > even bothered w/ Yahoo or ICQ. I'll stick to one of the free open
        > source
        > clients from Jabber.org. I know they work, and I also pick up MSN. No
        > advertising, either. If the "big guys" every get their acts together,
        > they'll probably cramp the open source offerings, but for right now,
        > JAbberIM or WinJab work on my windows machine, and there are a ton of
        > offerings for linux, java machines, and mac. I'll stick w/ what I
        > know
        > works.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • M K Saravanan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
          On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Bala Pillai wrote:

          > Below's a user input to spur thought on http://www.jabber.org

          In the office environment most of the time people talk with some other guy
          sitting in the next room. If they use yahoo/aol/ms-messeng. unnecessarily
          they are creating international traffic. Instead they can use JABBER server
          in their office as a Intranet [as well as Internet] Messaging solution.
          Sometime back, i tried jabber for our Intranet Messaging service. It is
          really cool. you don't have to have all sorts of IM clients in your machine.
          Just have a jabber client like winjab, and you can talk to yahoo,
          ms-messenger, aol, etc.., But, not tried localisation stuff.

          -- mks --