Re: [tamilinix] Virtual PC

  • Dinesh Nadarajah
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2006
      If you want to run Win XP I would recommend QEMU with the kqemu add-on.
      I am assuming you want to do this on a x86 system. The kqemu will
      provide additional kernel mode acceleration in x86. I have run WinXp
      under FreeBSD and have had good sucess. Even played flash movies under
      it and was able to use Cisco VPN. Make sure you have enough memory
      assigned to the guest system otherwise it would be slow. I would
      recommend allocating atleast 256MB.

      Xen will not work since its a hypervisor and not an emulator. Guest
      OS's that run under Xen have to be modified to fit the Xen profile.
      Hence Only OSS like Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD will run - thats right
      now. MSFT may release a version to run under Xen :) some day.

      Good luck.

      -Dinesh

      --- K Sethu <skhome@...> wrote:

      > On 4/25/06, Kesavan Muthuvel <k7.india@...> wrote:
      > > *1]
      > > Is there any way create a virtual PC in linux, such that I want to
      > boot Win
      > > XP from inside the linux?
      >
      > Look at this wiki
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines for
      > comparision of different virtualization softwares - among those that
      > are open source / free and which could be hosted on Linux it appears
      > only with "Xen" there is explicit mention of official support for Win
      > XP as guest OS although for few others they list simply Windows
      > and/or
      > Dos as supported guest OS. Many of them could include Win XP when
      > they
      > say Windows. You may have to look at home page or other web sites of
      > individual programs to make sure Win Xp would work in them (For
      > example for QMEU the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QEMU
      > shows
      > Win Xp running as guest OS on kqmeu). Also note the "Method of
      > Operation" column - not all are "virtualization" but some are
      > "emulation" and so on.
      >
      > Xen kernel comes bundled in recent SuSe, Mandriva and FC distros
      >
      > > ie.... in command mode when startkde is given KDE run.
      > > Likewise i need startxp... & Win XP to run....
      > >

      > That would depend on how a virtual machine is started or booted,
      > wouldn't it? - Something I wish to try out and learn in future with
      > Xen etc. Right now I wish to see if any experienced persons would
      > post
      > on this here to enlighten us more on this.
      >
      > ~Sethu

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ganesan Rajagopal
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2006

        > If you want to run Win XP I would recommend QEMU with the kqemu add-on.
        > I am assuming you want to do this on a x86 system. The kqemu will
        > provide additional kernel mode acceleration in x86.

        I've done this too. However, my recommendation is to use vmplayer
        instead. Performance is much better than qemu even with kqemu.

        Ganesan

        --
        Ganesan Rajagopal