interesting experience with Debian Sarge

  • Murugapandian barathee
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Dear guys,
      Pandian here, after a loooong time.
      Just wanted to share my experience with Debian sarge and to thank our group
      once again.
      I am very much satisfied with Mandrake becaz of its user-friendly config
      wizards. Already I tried Debian and came out. It became a tragedy last time.

      I tried it out once again today, it worked out.
      The keyboard (typewriter/unicode) is working beautifully and the necessary
      fonts have been installed.

      But neither konqueror nor firefox (which includes mozilla also) cant render
      Tamil texts properly. Infact, he had taken the TAMu_Kadambari as the
      default font and the text is separated.., :(
      I just got the one of the older replied by Mr Ganesan Rajesh (Hi Sir, how
      are you?), about font config in Debian. I removed all the TAMu fonts and
      reconfigured the fontconfig. Great. everything is working fine, and
      antialaising makes the tamil text more beautiful with TSCu_comic.

      Now, let me ask you help, Is there any way to make TAMu Fonts working
      properly? Am I doing any mistakes in configurations?

      நன்றிகள் பல.
      பாண்டியன்

    • Mohan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        I am glad to atleast one of the tamil fonts
        (TSCu_comic) working for you. I also use Debian sarge
        but none of the fonts are working for me.

        Could you please help me with steps that I need to
        follow to make it to work.

        Thanks
        Mohan

        --- Murugapandian barathee <barathee@...> wrote:

        > Dear guys,
        > Pandian here, after a loooong time.
        > Just wanted to share my experience with Debian sarge
        > and to thank our group
        > once again.
        > I am very much satisfied with Mandrake becaz of its
        > user-friendly config
        > wizards. Already I tried Debian and came out. It
        > became a tragedy last time.
        >
        > I tried it out once again today, it worked out.
        > The keyboard (typewriter/unicode) is working
        > beautifully and the necessary
        > fonts have been installed.
        >
        > But neither konqueror nor firefox (which includes
        > mozilla also) cant render
        > Tamil texts properly. Infact, he had taken the
        > TAMu_Kadambari as the
        > default font and the text is separated.., :(
        > I just got the one of the older replied by Mr
        > Ganesan Rajesh (Hi Sir, how
        > are you?), about font config in Debian. I removed
        > all the TAMu fonts and
        > reconfigured the fontconfig. Great. everything is
        > working fine, and
        > antialaising makes the tamil text more beautiful
        > with TSCu_comic.
        >
        > Now, let me ask you help, Is there any way to make
        > TAMu Fonts working
        > properly? Am I doing any mistakes in configurations?
        >
        > நன்றிகள் பல.
        > பாண்டியன்

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • prasanna
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          Dear All,

          CIOSA is network of ngos, we are looking for a way in which we can
          communicate online with our members in tamil. would like to know is
          there a mailing software that can be used

          prasnana

        • sudhakar jaimithra
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
            Dear guys,

            sudhakar here.

            I want keyboard (typewriter/unicode)

            how can to ...please you can help me..

            Thanks & Regards

            U.sudhakar

[...]

            Attachments are not permitted in this group.

            Computer internet security Red hat linux Red hat Computer internet business Red hat linux training Computer internet access

            ---------------------------------

          • sir-ASka-lot
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17, 2006
              Hi,

              You might want to take a look at "Zimbra"... an opensourced collaboration
              suite...
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbra
              http://www.zimbra.com/

              The good thing about the software is that is server based, so once installed
              on a server (currently redhat/fedora and suse are supported...) the clients
              can all access using browsers...

              To add support for tamil, i suggest using either ekalappai (on Windows) or
              SCIM (on a linux distribution that supports it (eg: Ubuntu, Vector,
              Mandrake, Suse, Debain, Fedora, etc.), or try "Tamil-Key" extension with
              firefox (for both Windows and Linux...) http://tamilkey.mozdev.org/

              Hope this helps.

              Cheers,
              Arunan (ASka) Skanthan

              P.S.: The proposed is only one solution, ther are many other applications
              like zimbra, that are web and non-web based. Try searching using google for
              "opensource collaboration software" or look in wikipedia...

              --

              ASka
              ---