LINUXFor You

  • Niraj Sahay
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
      [Commercial]

      Dear Linux enthusiasts,

      LINUXForYou: The Complete Magazine on Open Source.
      LINUXForYou's November issue is now on stands, it has a
      lot of content which the community would like to get their
      hands on.

      November's Focus
      LINUXForYou: Michael Tiemann, VP, Open Source Affairs, Red
      Hat, shares his vision, enthusiasm and entrepreneurial
      spirits with LFY readers.
      LINUXForYouPRO: Fine-tune your video cards.

      Other highlights of the November issue includes:
      LFY CD #1

      CD #1 is bundled with the following software
      * SmoothWall: This is an Internet security software package
      based on Linux. It is Web managed and has the facilities
      normally seen in expensive commercial offerings.

      * Damn Small inux: This is a business card sized, bootable
      LiveCD distribution.

      LFY CD #2

      MEPIS: MEPIS is a LiveCD distribution. It is an ideal
      foundation for developing a custom version of Linux for
      large scale deployment. It is ideal for integrators and
      end-user clients to develop privately branded and
      optimally tweaked Linux configurations.

      LINUX For You
      --------------------
      Articles in detail

      * Are You Ready to Rock? is the theme of this interview
      with Michael Tiemann, VP, Open Source Affairs, Red Hat.
      Tiemann has shared his thoughts and vision that all of us
      can learn from. He has addressed the concerns of the CEOs
      of Indian IT firms who are wondering if it's time to shift
      to the open source paradigm. He has also explained why
      CIOs would be at an advantage if they deploy open source.
      He has also expressed his willingness to partner with
      governments to demonstrate the benefits of open source.

      * With the battle raging between the open source community
      and the proprietary world on one front, there are lots of
      arguments to be settled between free software against open
      source software. Licensing is the key behind these
      arguments. So the article titled "Licensing Open Source
      Software" just do this.

      * The cute little penguin has made an entry in the
      electronic design automation industry. So, if you are a
      part of electronics industry and are looking for ideas on
      cutting costs the article titled "Tux Automates Electronic
      Design" is for you.

      LINUX For You PRO
      -------------------------
      Articles in detail

      * Troubleshooting Video: This article describes how to
      configure, troubleshoot and fine-tune the performance of
      video cards in Fedora.

      * If you have a Web server in Linux and want to secure the
      acess from browser clients to the Web server, Hyper Text
      Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is one of the solutions.
      We have an article fully devoted to HTTPS as it's widely
      used in e-commerce.

      * Review: Firefox Browser: In this article, Firefox browser
      has been reviewed in detail.

      Why do we have two versions of Linux For You now?
      Linux For You was conceived with the aim of pushing Linux
      from labs to offices. To achieve this goal, we realised
      that we needed to reduce the pricing of the main magazine
      so that those who were not technical but curious about
      Linux/OSS could access the information. Hence,
      LINUXForYou's main magazine was created as a magazine for
      everyone to read.

      At the same time, the demand from the tech community was
      clear -- they needed technical content along with CDs that
      bundled the latest software and distros. Hence, the
      combined pack of LINUXForYou and LFYPRO and the two CDs is
      now available at Rs 100!

      For more details about LINUX For You magazine, log on to
      www.lfymag.com or email at niraj@....

      This communication aims to inform the Linux community
      about the information contained in Asia's only magazine on
      Linux and open source, and we hope that it will be taken
      positively.
    • boovarahan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
        Hi !
        I' m a subscriber of LFY for about a year.
        The linux distros provided with the magazine seldom work.
        I tried Suse, Xandros and so many distros provided with LFY but in vain.
        After getting the message "hardware probe ... done", the screen goes off.
        I'm not a geek but an amateur, so I don't know to fiddle with linux
        installation.
        Kindly advice.

        Boovarahan s