Re: [tamilinix] Re: Welcome to tamilinix

  • Anbumani. S
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2000
      Hello Prabhu,

      Is the display problem only for Aaraamthinai or for all Tamil
      sites ?

      If it is for any Tamil site, your installation still has problems.

      If it is for Aaraamthiani only, read below.
      Aaraamthinai is one website, where I could not display Tamil
      chars. on my Sun workstation. I thought I identified the problem
      and I wrote to them looong back, only to hear - 'we are working
      on it'.

      But, I'm still puzzled, as their pages display correctly on
      my Slackware linux.

      My advice - do not rely on Aaaramthinai pages to check your fonts.
      Instead, try some other Tamil pages.

      - Anbu.
      PS: Thanks for that informative Font-Howto.

      Prabu Anand wrote:

      > Hi Subramanian,
      >
      > All the steps suggested by u are are working without any problem.I'm getting
      > the Pop up with tamil charcters but still i'm not able to browse using
      > netscape in Linux.
      > But i'm not able to use browse in tamil any Tamil site(aaramthinai.com) with
      > the settings given in unixFAQ page also.I've tried upgrading to
      > netscape4.75(??)
      > I'm using RedHat Linux6.2.
      > I was able to use Mr.Selvaraj's font in text mode(console chars in
      > Text-console mode to view aaramthinai site)
      >
      > Pls.help me in browsing,
      > Prabu
    • Prabu Anand
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2000
        Hi Subramanian,

        Good Morning. I checked other sites like vikatan.com,thinnai.com also.But
        everywhere there is problem.All are appearing as junk characters.
        Were u able to work with netscape?
        Still xlsfonts lists all my tamil fonts but ....
        All these sites ar eworking fine from Windows version of IE and Netscape..

        Is there any way i can change my settings so that i get to browse tamil
        sites.

        Mr.Sivraj-->Thanks for u'r kind advcie.Now i'm able to browse tamil site
        using lynx browser. Thanks. Can u advice me on some good books to start
        working on this.I've some good foundation on Linux OS as sysadmin...

        Cheers,
        Prabu
        =======

        PS:I'll be in shift duty and will be able to browse/mail only from thursday
        to saturday.i.e so much delay.Sorry for the delay