Inconsistencies and new words

  • Venkataramani Arunachalam
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi all,

      I found the following inconsistencies in our past
      translations while using translation memory feature. I
      have specified my choice for each word. If you think
      its not correct, let's discuss and come up with one
      single word for each.(I have avoided typing in tamil
      so that everyone can read without a problem).

      English Word - Tamil equivalents that we used
      * Device - Saadhanam, Karuvi.
      I prefer saadhanam since karuvi is used for tool as
      well.
      * Advanced - Membatta, uyarndha
      I like Membatta. Uyarndha means High too.
      * Application - Niral, payanpaadu
      Let's use Niral for program and payanpaadu for
      application as defined in Kalaichol agaradhi.
      * Server - Sevaiyagam, Parimari.
      I like sevaiyagam because service is sevai and server
      provides service.

      I have also coined the following words which we can
      discuss about.
      System - Kaniyamaippu (using just amaippu makes it
      difficult to understand the context)
      Login ID - I prefer Nuzhaivu ID instead of Thodangal
      ID. We use Velichel for Logout which matches with
      this.
      Library - Payanagam
      Initialize - Mudhalaakku
      Authentication - Meyniruval
      Plug-in - Serugi
      Forward - Maruseluthu
      Screenshot - Thiraiyiruppu
      Workstation - PaniNilaiyam

      Once we come to a consensus, I'll update the custom
      dictionary with these words and let's try to use them
      consistently during translations. After we translate
      the remaining strings in KDE/GNOME, we might also need
      to go back and change the old translations for
      consistency.

      Regards,
      Ramani