OpenType versions of GPL'ed Akruti Fonts

  • Vasee Vaseeharan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2002
      I've added OpenType tables to the GPL'ed Fonts. from Akruti Ltd.
      They are available from
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tamilinix/files/unicode/fonts/

      They have separate glyphs for ikaram, iikaaram, meis etc. and could
      be used for typesetting. Many thanks to Akruti.com for releasing
      them under the GPL.

      The fonts have been tested with Pango (Redhat 8.0) and Windows XP.
      Please let me know if you encounter any bugs with the OpenType
      features.

      I have also converted some other TSCII/TAM fonts to OpenType. I will
      release them once the licenses are made explicit. (Venkat, any
      progress on that?)

      -Vasee
    • S.Muguntharaj
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2002
        Dear Vasee,
        I will collect the emails of the free TSCII font
        authors and send you.

        As of now all the TSCII fonts packaged in
        Tamilfonts.exe are granted permission to package by
        their authors.

        Is this enough or else what is the explicit permission
        we should get from the font authors.
        Then we can write to individual font authors and get
        the necessary license/permissions to bundle in Linux
        packages.

        -Mugunth

        --- Vasee Vaseeharan <t_vasee@...> wrote:

        > I've added OpenType tables to the GPL'ed Fonts. from
        > Akruti Ltd.
        > They are available from

        > They have separate glyphs for ikaram, iikaaram, meis
        > etc. and could
        > be used for typesetting. Many thanks to Akruti.com
        > for releasing
        > them under the GPL.
        >
        > The fonts have been tested with Pango (Redhat 8.0)
        > and Windows XP.
        > Please let me know if you encounter any bugs with
        > the OpenType
        > features.
        >
        > I have also converted some other TSCII/TAM fonts to
        > OpenType. I will
        > release them once the licenses are made explicit.
        > (Venkat, any
        > progress on that?)
        >
        > -Vasee

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        =====
        For typing Tamil in any Windows Applications get FREE "e-kalappai" from: http://www.tamil.net/newtamil/ekalappai_1.html
        eKalappai: http://www.tamil.net/newtamil/ekalappai_help.html

        Need Tamil computing related help?
        Send your query to: e-uthavi@yahoogroups.com

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Vasee Vaseeharan
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
          Dear Mugunth,

          To be included _officially_ in any Linux distribution, the fonts have
          to be released under an open source license. Examples of the licenses
          can be found at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

          While the authors are free to choose any license, releasing them under
          the GNU General Public License (GPL), as Akruti.com has done, will
          make sure that any changes/improvments are returned to the community.

          Please get the font developers to _explicity_ state their license of
          choice, usually in a text file named LICENSE, included with the font
          pacakge. Also, the license statement embedded in the font file will
          have to be modified accordingly. (This is trivial to do once a license
          is chosen).

          Regards,

          -Vasee

          --- In tamilinix@y..., "S.Muguntharaj" <mugunthraj@y...> wrote:
          > Dear Vasee,
          > I will collect the emails of the free TSCII font
          > authors and send you.
          >
          > As of now all the TSCII fonts packaged in
          > Tamilfonts.exe are granted permission to package by
          > their authors.
          >
          > Is this enough or else what is the explicit permission
          > we should get from the font authors.
          > Then we can write to individual font authors and get
          > the necessary license/permissions to bundle in Linux
          > packages.
          >
          > -Mugunth
          >

          > --- Vasee Vaseeharan <t_vasee@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've added OpenType tables to the GPL'ed Fonts. from
          > > Akruti Ltd.
          > > They are available from

          > > They have separate glyphs for ikaram, iikaaram, meis
          > > etc. and could
          > > be used for typesetting. Many thanks to Akruti.com
          > > for releasing
          > > them under the GPL.
          > >
          > > The fonts have been tested with Pango (Redhat 8.0)
          > > and Windows XP.
          > > Please let me know if you encounter any bugs with
          > > the OpenType
          > > features.
          > >
          > > I have also converted some other TSCII/TAM fonts to
          > > OpenType. I will
          > > release them once the licenses are made explicit.
          > > (Venkat, any
          > > progress on that?)
          > >
          > > -Vasee

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          > >

          > =====
          > For typing Tamil in any Windows Applications get FREE "e-kalappai"
          from: http://www.tamil.net/newtamil/ekalappai_1.html
          > eKalappai: http://www.tamil.net/newtamil/ekalappai_help.html
          >
          > Need Tamil computing related help?
          > Send your query to: e-uthavi@y...

          > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • V. Venkataramanan
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
            Hello all,

            As you know, I have been pursuing the act of getting the fonts GPL-ed
            and I have a fair degree of success with that. As of now tsctimes,
            tsccomic, tscparan, tabaerial, tabtimes, tscmaduram, tabmaduram, and a
            few other fonts are now GPL. You will hear a formal announcement on
            that soon in http://venkat.homelinux.org

            Oh.. I spilled the beans! I have exhausted the quota (10 MB) in
            tamillinux.org long ago and this was a major hurdle in getting to the
            original goal of the site - to provide the single resource point for
            everything tamil and linux. I have now created a dedicated server (pIII
            - 333MHz, 512 MB RAM, 90 GB, ...) exclusively for tamil linux uses.
            (thanks to my manager who gladly wrote off a computer when I mentioned
            this (he is not a tamil :-) and I threw some money in upgrading). For
            the past few days I am beta testing this server (only Vasee knows). The
            main reason is that I hate to open it under the current name (which I
            got with dyndns.org). I am pursuing that .org domain be pointed to this
            so far no success (Mr. Maniam is a very busy person and I am very
            reluctant to trouble him). I am also exploring other options of getting
            .net domain name.

            But now that I spilled it, I welcome all of you there. Please register
            there as users (I will later create group and delegate responsibilities
            such as maintaining sections on download, faq, etc) and populate with
            stories, articles, (people who presented papers in TI2002 can put them
            as article here). If anyone is finding it difficult to have a committed
            space to keep there work safe, I can even provide a shell account here
            with upto 500MB user space. Pl. feel free to use this machine.

            For friends in India with low bandwith the ftp server
            (ftp://venkat.homelinux.org - for now - will have all distros with tamil
            support available for dedicated use (low competition site). As of now it
            has mandrake 9.0 and Knoppix-Tamil there with a dostool for MD5SUM
            check..

            I will ask the font developers themselves to come forward and put an
            announcement on GPLing their fonts and Vasee will follow them with his
            usual bang of releasing the Unicode version of all of them.

            Welcome to this journey!

            anpudan
            venkat

            On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 11:03, Vasee Vaseeharan wrote:

            > Dear Mugunth,
            >
            > To be included _officially_ in any Linux distribution, the fonts have
            > to be released under an open source license. Examples of the licenses
            > can be found at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

          • Manmathan Kumarathurai
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2003
              Dear Vasee,

              Could you tell me what tools you did use to add OpenType tables? I am interested
              in getting mozilla to be able to view tamil unicode pages and I think it will
              help me understand more by "playing with this tool".

              Maybe you can send me a copy of the tool.

              Thanks
              Manmathan