Re: Doubt in keymap

  • Thuraiappah Vaseeharan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2002
      Hi

      Please post all questions to tamilinix@.... This is to make
      sure that the answers will be archived and will be available for
      reference by other users.

      --- "A.BalaSaraswathi" <saraswathi@...> wrote:

      > I have downloaded you tamil_kmaps files.
      > I have dont all the instruction as per README.
      > And i checked whether the tamil characters displayed or not when i
      > press
      > both the shift key.
      > But it is not dispalyed.
      > Also the scroll lock key is not also in ON.
      > Why......
      > I have copied the setkb file in /usr/bin/

      > When i first execute the
      >
      > setkb iscii
      > setkb tab
      >
      > It comes with no error.
      >
      > When i execute sencond execute those line, it gives
      >
      > xkb extension not present on :0.0

      The Tamil keymap needs the XKB extension to work. Upgrade your X
      server.

      It would be very helpful if you could give more information about your
      setup, such as: Limux distribution, XFree86 version, Desktop (KDE/GNOME
      etc.) what fonts you are using ...

      > Also plz tell me how to use the mode_switch.
      > I have used mode_switch.Its owrking.
      > But it works as follows.
      >
      > When i press the mode switch key only some other charaters which i
      > mapped
      > when mode switch is enabled is diplayed.
      >
      > But i need as follows.
      >
      > When i press the mode switch key it shold be locked.
      > I will press keys afterwards so that it displays some charaters.
      > When i press again the key it shopuld be released.
      > How to do that.........

      This is how it works already in the xkb keymap. When you press the two
      SHIFT keys together you go into tamil mode, when you press them again
      twice you go back to english mode. You can change the keys (use CTRL
      instead of SHIFT or whatever) by editing the setkb script.

      -Vasee

      http://health.yahoo.com