Green Buildings - LEED-certified buildings: 2B square feet worldwide.

  • havewala
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2012
      Green Buildings - LEED-certified buildings: 2B square feet worldwide

      http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon.com/national/2012/07/leed-certified-buildings-2b-square.html

      The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) said Thursday that more than 2
      billion square feet of commercial projects have been certified
      worldwide through its LEED green building program. An additional 7
      billion square feet is in the pipeline.

      “In communities around the globe, leaders from every sector of the
      building industry are reinventing their local landscapes with
      buildings that enliven and bolster the health of our environment,
      communities and local economies,” said Rick Fedrizzi, USGBC president,
      CEO and founding chair, in a news release. “The journey to this
      milestone has energized our economy — funneling $554 billion annually
      into the U.S. economy alone — and has helped support 7.9 million jobs
      across the U.S.”

      LEED certifies 2 million square feet of commercial building space
      daily in more than 130 countries. Nearly 50,000 commercial projects
      are participating in LEED, and nearly 23,000 homes across the U.S.
      have earned certification through the LEED for Homes program, with
      nearly 86,000 more units in the pipeline.