Re: [Talkin' About Architecture] architectural composition

  • Anderson Armstrong
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2008
      This area is what confuses so many. You cannot design out of context or without sensitivity to materials and scale but there are rules and these concern proportion. See Serlio: the five books of architecture. Palladio: The four books of architecture, Ruskins' The Seven Lamps of Truth and Viollet Le Duc, Vols 1 and 2. Tough reading but thats only pre-modern. My advice is Chings, An analysis of form and Hugo Harings: The Secret Form of Architecture.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        whatever you think of when you design, and how well you graphically represent it, explains architectural composition..............ok.............simon

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
          Hello Sidorf,

          You would be advised to try Analysis of form by Francis Ching, The Secret of Form by hugo Haring, Visual Dynamics of Architectural Form by Rudolf Arnheim, Form Space and Order: Ching and On Growth and Form: Christopher Alexander .

          As you are asking the same questions as I did a good few years back, you are well on the way to penetrating the nonsense put forward in the monographs and grasping the essential guts of what architecture is. AA