Question from a non-architect

  • littlejsdad
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2003
      I have a strange question. I've noticed that most architectural
      drawings have the same style of handwriting. I know that this is a
      learned skill, and probably difficult to aquire.

      I've searched the internet without success. How do you learn to
      change your handwriting to the standardized style? Is there
      someplace I can go on the internet for help? Does this style have a
      name?

      Thanks
      Rick Seiden
      rick@...
    • thrakcat
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2003
        --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, "littlejsdad"
        <littlejsdad@y...> wrote:
        > I have a strange question. I've noticed that most architectural
        > drawings have the same style of handwriting. I know that this is a
        > learned skill, and probably difficult to aquire.
        >
        > I've searched the internet without success. How do you learn to
        > change your handwriting to the standardized style? Is there
        > someplace I can go on the internet for help? Does this style have
        > name?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Rick Seiden
        > rick@s...

        umm.. really? same handwriting style? which one? is there any website
        to see that?
      • kathy75us
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2003
          hi

          As I know, you are right, there is a special style of handwriting
          that mostly is used in some architectural drawings . I've put this
          style in a in "photos" , is that what u had seen before ?
          (hopefully!!!)

          Actually in some universities the students have an special
          handwriting . they usually use it in their art/architecture works ...
          of cours these things depend on the University and their methods.

          K.

          --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, thrakcat
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, "littlejsdad"
          > <littlejsdad@y...> wrote:
          > > I have a strange question. I've noticed that most architectural
          > > drawings have the same style of handwriting. I know that this is
          > > learned skill, and probably difficult to aquire.
          > >
          > > I've searched the internet without success. How do you learn to
          > > change your handwriting to the standardized style? Is there
          > > someplace I can go on the internet for help? Does this style
          have
          > > name?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Rick Seiden
          > > rick@s...
          >
          > umm.. really? same handwriting style? which one? is there any
          website
          > to see that?
        • littlejsdad
          Message 4 of 8 , May 9, 2003
            That's exactly what I'm talking about. Is that style of writing
            taught, or are architects generally artistic enough to pick it up on
            their own?

            Thanks Kathy!
            Rick

            --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, "kathy75us"
            <kathy75us@y...> wrote:
            > hi
            >
            > As I know, you are right, there is a special style of handwriting
            > that mostly is used in some architectural drawings . I've put this
            > style in a in "photos" , is that what u had seen before ?
            > (hopefully!!!)
            >
            > Actually in some universities the students have an special
            > handwriting . they usually use it in their art/architecture
            works ...
            > of cours these things depend on the University and their methods.
            >
            > K.
            >

            > --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, thrakcat
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, "littlejsdad"
            > > <littlejsdad@y...> wrote:
            > > > I have a strange question. I've noticed that most
            architectural
            > > > drawings have the same style of handwriting. I know that this
            is
            > > > learned skill, and probably difficult to aquire.
            > > >
            > > > I've searched the internet without success. How do you learn
            > > > change your handwriting to the standardized style? Is there
            > > > someplace I can go on the internet for help? Does this style
            > have
            > > > name?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > Rick Seiden
            > > > rick@s...
            > >
            > > umm.. really? same handwriting style? which one? is there any
            > website
            > > to see that?
          • Katayoon H.

              Message 6 of 8 , May 14, 2003
                --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, "Katayoon H."
                <kathy75us@y...> wrote:
                > you're welcome Rick, No, it's not tought , at least in my
                university , but it's easy to learn... I should say everybody usually
                has it's own handwriting, some people also write in that style :)
                K.

                > littlejsdad <littlejsdad@y...> wrote:That's exactly what I'm
                talking about. Is that style of writing
                > taught, or are architects generally artistic enough to pick it up

                I beg to differ. The "handwriting" you speak of is more commonly
                called "Architectural Lettering" and is a skill that requires a
                considerable amount of practice. I began learning how to letter when
                I took high school drafting classes (late 1970's).

                Every day before we could begin working on our drawings, each student
                had to turn in one page of lettering exercises for review and
                grading. The tablet was a special size (4"x6") and type of paper
                (heavy stock, with a linen texture), ruled with lines and a dashed
                middle line to aid in the location of horizontal strokes. The
                instructor showed the proper sequence of strokes for each letter on
                the blackboard, much like learning cursive penmanship in grade
                school.

                Once I started work in an architectural firm as an intern, I learned
                a few "tricks of the trade" whereby draftsmen used their triangle and
                parallel bar to form perfectly straight vertical strokes. While this
                lettering, or handwriting as you call it, may look identical to an
                uneducated eye, actually everyone has a slightly different style, and
                I can tell who produced a drawing in our office ten years ago simply
                by studying the lettering. Of course with CAD, hand lettering is
                seldom used on working drawings, but it is still an architect's
                signature professional style. If you would like to learn how to
                produce this type of lettering, I believe I have a book in my library
                about tips for the draftsman from "Uncle Nat". Perhaps with the
                publisher's name you could locate the resource on the net. I hope it
                isn't a totally lost art!

                ~Connie
                California
              • edin_a_proud_nyer
                Message 7 of 8 , May 16, 2003
                  God YES ... printing on blueprints IS an aquired skill - some have
                  it - some dont ... I was taught to find a particular printing that I
                  liked and try to emulate it ... You spend hours and hours in school
                  with one of those godforsaken little lettering guides writing pages
                  and pages of alphabets ... Fortunately along came CAD and fonts ...
                  YEAAAAAAAAAA ... cos my lettering was horrible ... Edin

                  <littlejsdad@y...> wrote:
                  > I have a strange question. I've noticed that most architectural
                  > drawings have the same style of handwriting. I know that this is a
                  > learned skill, and probably difficult to aquire.
                  >
                  > I've searched the internet without success. How do you learn to
                  > change your handwriting to the standardized style? Is there
                  > someplace I can go on the internet for help? Does this style have
                  > name?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Rick Seiden
                  > rick@s...
                • edin_a_proud_nyer
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 16, 2003
                    For those who arent clear about architectural lettering - check out
                    any of the Francis X Ching books - all published with lettering ...
                    Edin