The Keops Law

  • edin_a_proud_nyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2003
      I have to laugh at the quote at the top there Jan ... love it ... I
      have a little sign over my drafting table called The Newton Law - it
      says ... "Gravity - it's not just a good idea - its the LAW" ... An
      engineering professor that I loved very much used to point that law
      out to me all the time ... Perhaps that is why I design mostly
      interiors and not bridges ... laughs ... Edin
    • thrakcat
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 8:22 AM
        --- In talkinaboutarchitecture@yahoogroups.com, edin_a_proud_nyer
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I have to laugh at the quote at the top there Jan ... love it ... I
        > have a little sign over my drafting table called The Newton Law - it
        > says ... "Gravity - it's not just a good idea - its the LAW" ... An
        > engineering professor that I loved very much used to point that law
        > out to me all the time ... Perhaps that is why I design mostly
        > interiors and not bridges ... laughs ... Edin

        lol, well.. gravity can be a good, er.. device sometimes, but the law
        is the law, you know that....

        here are some more quotes:

        Top Ten Architectural Quotes
        by Dennis M. Pillsbury, AIA
        From the original research department in Hopland, California, the top
        ten Architectural Quotes:

        10. "Architecture begins when you place two bricks carefully
        together." - Mies van der Rohe.

        9. "Men mold some cities, some cities mold men." - Sidney Sheldon (I
        never knew if 'mold' meant 'to form' or 'to mildew.')

        8. "The most important thing about Spaceship earth - an instruction
        booklet didn't come with it." - Buckminster Fuller.

        7. "The man who does not make mistakes seldom makes anything." - John
        Wellborn Root.

        6. "Cheops Law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within
        budget." - unknown slave.

        5. "Architecture is the handwriting of Man." - Bernard Maybeck.

        4. "A doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise
        his client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright.

        3. "I've been building houses for twenty-five years and I ain't never
        seen anything like this." - anonymous contractor.

        2. "That's just the sort of blinkered philistine pig ignorance I've
        come to expect from you non-creative garbage." - John Cleese.

        1. "I had to be an architect - that's all they taught me." - Bruce
        Gof.

        from: http://www.aiare.org/article.asp?vID=4