Helsinki

  • Gareth Kempster
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2003
      Morning, all.

      Am due to stay in Helsinki for a few nights next week. I fly out early
      Sunday and return Friday.

      Just wondering if anyone can recommend any fine examples of Finnish
      architecture, that can be added to the itinery prepared by my tutors?

      Senate Square, Helsinki Cathedral, University and State Buildings
      Stockmann Department Store (Frosterus)
      Stokos Department Store (Huttunen)
      Glass Palace (Kokko, Revell, Riihimaki)
      National Pensions Institute (Aalto)
      Temppeliaukio Church (Suomalainen)
      Finlandia Hall (Alvar & Elissa Aalto)
      School of Architecture (Aalto)
      Helsinki University of Technology (Alvar & Elissa Aalto)
      Otaniemi Chapel (Kaija & Heikki Siren)
      Dipoli Student Centre (Railli & Reima Pietila)
      Innopoli – Oteniemi Technology Centre (Lofstrom)
      Tapiola Church (Ruusuvuori)
      Central Tower (Ervi)
      Espoo Cultural Centre (Sipinen)
      Tapiola Swimming Hall (Ervi)
      House of Culture (Aalto)
      Aalto’s House (Alvar & Aino Aalto)
      Aalto’s Studio (Aalto)
      Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art (Holl)
      Museum of Finnish Architecture
      New housing, Ruoholahti Waterfront
      New offices and Garage Café

      Finlandia Hall (to see the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra!)

      Quite like to check out the interior of some Finnish bars too… For
      architectural reasons of course.

      All images I take will be added to my website, upon return to sunny
      England, for your entertainment.

      Cheers.

      --
      Gareth Kempster
      gareth@...

      PASS Co-Chairman and BA2 Rep

      School of Architecture
      University of Portsmouth

      ---

    • Gareth Kempster
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2003
        The photos from the Helsinki trip are all up and can be found at
        HYPERLINK "http://www.kurryhouse.co.uk/"http://www.kurryhouse.co.uk/

        Also new up are photos of Boathouse 6, a Victorian naval repair building
        which has been transformed into an activity and education centre for the
        public.

        There are a couple of links which don’t work (apologies for those) but
        they will be sorted as soon as I can find sufficient time.

        But I right now I have four essays to write, four elevations, a section
        and a plan to draw. By hand!!! Arrrgh!!!

        --
        Gareth Kempster
        gareth@...

        PASS Co-Chairman and BA2 Rep

        School of Architecture
        University of Portsmouth

[...]

        Checked by AVG anti-virus system (HYPERLINK
        "http://www.grisoft.com)."http://www.grisoft.com).

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        HYPERLINK
        "http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        240454:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http:/ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei"

        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=905462278"

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK

        ---