Kas padėtų rengti COMMUNIA sąskrydį Vilniuje?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2007
      Linkėjimai iš Čikagos! Siūlau rengti COMMUNIA sąskrydį Vilnuje balandžio
      mėnesį 2008 metais. Išdėstau savo mintis anglų kalba. Gal kas išverstų? Kas
      prisidėtų, kas moka rengti vienos dienos sąskrydį? Edita, Irena, Gryte? Man
      reikia komandos. Kiek kainuotų surengti, kas žino įkainius, pavyzdžiui,
      pietums? Zenonai, prašau pasiūlyk filmavimo darbus ir įkainius. Iš viso
      skirs 10,000 eurų, bus maždaug 100 žmonių, bet gal daugiau. Galėsime rengti
      Mokslų akademijos bibliotekos salėje, bet gali prireikti ir daugiau vietų,
      prašau siūlyti! Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@...

      CC: Dovid Katz, CultureLive - perhaps you will respond with possibilities!

      Juan Carlos and all,

      I share my thoughts on the COMMUNIA workshop that I and my laboratory Minciu
      Sodas http://www.ms.lt would like to host in Vilnius in April 2008. I
      welcome any ideas and suggestions to make this a great proposal. I also
      share with our lab's working group Learning From Each Other.

      I propose to organize a workshop:
      "Ethical Public Domain: Debate of Questionable Practices"

      COMMUNIA is the European Union's thematic network for the Public Domain.
      COMMUNIA is the forum which informs the European Union's vision and policy
      for the Public Domain. (Side note: COMMUNIA is seeking by October 19th
      distinguished candidates for the Advisory Committee, do we have
      suggestions?)

      As we start work, it is a good time to consider what, in the broadest sense,
      are the issues of the Public Domain? and what are they ways forward to
      foster a thriving Public Domain? The issues and solutions are not only
      legal, but may be political, economic, technological, and I think most
      profoundly, ethical. Our human rights to share and to own and our moral
      responsibilities are the foundations for the Public Domain that we should
      keep returning to.

      I propose to organize a series of friendly debates of questionable practices
      that seem to diminish the Public Domain. I will encourage the exploration of
      all issues, but we will focus on those for whom there are advocates on either
      side and also stakeholders who can testify how they are affected. We will
      also vote in advance as to which issues are most interesting and should be
      most prominent.

      Advocates will be asked to write position papers and stakeholders will be
      encouraged likewise. We will video the debates and provide written
      transcripts of key moments. The debates will take place openly, will be
      videotaped and made available through the Internet. All material generated
      at this workshop will be in the Public Domain (except for any supporting
      documents that might be referenced).

      We will be free to critique particular institutions and practices so that
      they might send advocates to respond individually or collectively. Our goal
      is to understand the heart of the matter and to consider if the practices
      might be improved or whether legal changes might be necessary.

      Sample issues might include:

      * Prohibitions on resale of the software. Microsoft and other companies
      restrict the resale of their software. This is why there is no market for
      "used software". Shouldn't the limitations on software purchaser's "right to
      own" be balanced by limitations on Microsoft's "right to own"?
      * Ownership of user generated content. Facebook requires participants to
      cede to Facebook the copyright of all content that they generate. Facebook
      allows people to view content only if they register. Facebook asks them to
      sign that they have "read and understood" a contract that takes thirty
      minutes to read and a college degree to understand. Why is this necessary?
      Do such "public" spaces have an obligation to contribute to the Public space?

      * Google scrapes all of our websites but does not allow us to scrape its
      website, thus violating the "golden rule" and leveraging its monopolistic
      position. Why is this necessary?
      * The Recording Industry Association of America won a judgement of $222,000
      for making 24 songs available for file sharing. Are there any musicians - or
      human beings, for that matter - who would personally seek for themselves such
      restitution? Why are corporations allowed to own creative works if, by their
      nature, they are unable to create them? Would it make sense to allow only
      human beings to own creative works?
      * Flickr allows users to license their work under Creative Commons licenses.
      Yet it makes no such option for the Public Domain. Why is this the case? Are
      there reasons that discriminate against the Public Domain? When there is a
      choice, should the Public Domain be available?
      http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

      There are many more that we might think of. We would focus on the ones for
      we which we have advocates, hopefully on either side, and also stakeholders.
      Our goal would be to seek friendly understanding and change. We may cause
      quite a stir and get the above companies to send representatives, which would
      be a great step forward. Perhaps we might find new participants and place
      COMMUNIA in the center of the cultivation of an Ethical Public Domain. This
      is a great topic as COMMUNIA gets under way.

      I spoke today with Dr. Juozas Marcinkevicius, Director of the Library of
      Lithuania's Academy of Sciences. http://www.mab.lt He is very supportive and
      will provide a hall for any date in April we like for $100 euros. The hall
      seats 100 and is at the Library which is about 200 meters from the Cathedral.
      Our event may be very popular, so we will look for other or additional
      locations, but we have at least this one place. Dr. Birute Railiene is
      active at our Minciu Sodas laboratory and leads the library's Information
      Department. I will also ask Edita Milutiene to help, she is an experienced
      conference organizer. I will also contact the event organizers for Vilnius as
      Europe's Cultural Capital (2009) http://www.culturelive.lt there are many
      public participatory events scheduled in 2008 and a day of "debates of
      questionable practices" might fit in well.

      Our budget will be quite free to focus on catalyzing participation both
      online and on-site.

      I will also pursue connection with Lithuania's Jewish Heritage. Vilnius was
      the "Jerusalem of Lithuania". The Gaon of Vilnius in the 1700s was a giant
      of critical thinking, a masterful, energetic debater of questionable
      practices! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilna_Gaon I will try to engage
      Dovid Katz and pursue this dimension. http://www.dovidkatz.net

      I appreciate support, thoughts, synergies to make our proposal attractive!

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...

      Friday, 19 October 2007

      your proposals for organizing the April 2008 COMMUNIA Workshop.

      Please use the following subject for your message:

      Subject: "April 2008 Workshop Proposal: Name of the city"

      Please include in your message:

      1. Title of the Workshop;
      2. Abstract of the Workshop: topic to be addressed, how, etc.;
      3. Brief explanation of why the topic is relevant and timely
      for COMMUNIA;
      4. Description of the workshop venue;
      5. Expected attendance (e.g., based on previous experiences
      by the organizers);
      6. Names and short bios of the members of organizing team;
      please emphasize any previous direct experiences
      organizing workshop/conferences/events;
      7. Proposed budget, with a break-down of the main costs;
      8. Proposed workshop program: rough organization of the day
      (i.e., session topics);
      9. Any another information that might strengthen the proposal,
      e.g., how well the city or the venue are connected with
      the rest of Europe, potential synergies with other events
      immediately before/after in the same city/region, etc.

      Each member may submit only one April 2008 workshop proposal.

      PLEASE BE AWARE that, according to the DoW, we have committed,
      for the first year of COMMUNIA, to attract an audience of
      at least 50 persons to the Workshops. Which should not be
      too much of a problem, but still please do keep it in mind,
      since we will be evaluated against that number.

      ALSO PLEASE BE AWARE that, always according to the DoW,
      we have committed, for the first year of COMMUNIA, to
      attract 10 paper submissions in response to our Workshop
      Call for Papers. Again, it should not too much of a problem,
      but still keep it in mind.

      The Workshop must be clearly presented to the public
      as a COMMUNIA Workshop.

      Each COMMUNIA workshop may count on a budget of 10.000 euro .
      The Organizer may seek other funds from governments,
      scientific organizations, foundations, and similar
      non-for-profit entities.

      I look forward to reading your proposals.
      If you have any doubt, please do not hesitate to contact us.

      best regards,

      juan carlos

      communia - the thematic network on the digital public domain
      network coordinator

      prof. juan carlos de martin
      politecnico di torino - dip. automatica e informatica
      corso duca degli abruzzi 24 - 10129 torino - italy
      tel: +39-011-090-7065 (fax: -7198)
      http://demartin.polito.it