Sajudzio patirtis Kenijoje

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      Minčių sodas turi daug dalyvių Kenijoje, o ten neramu po prezidento
      rinkimų. Nors ir iš toli, bet šiandien pavyko suorganizuoti nemažai
      pagalbos, įtraukti ir padrąsinti nemažai žmonių. Kviečiu prisijungti ir
      lavinti visuomeninius įgūdžius, kurių prireikia ir Lietuvoje....

      Šiandien su Audrone kalbėjau, kad "Minčių sodui" būtų labai gerai jeigu
      leistų mums burtis aplink ją ir jos vertybę ("rūpintis plačiau") ir tai
      apimtų visas jai rūpimas temas (ne tik blaivybę, nors ir tai gali būti
      pirmoje vietoje). Mums reikia žmonių, kaip vyskupo Valančiaus,
      nebijančių būti žmonėmis, šviesuoliais, vadais.

      Kaip matysite žemiau, mums labai praverčia pasišnekėjimo svetainė
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/ Susirinkome iš Lietuvos, Serbijos,
      Tanzanijos, Ugandos, Kenijos, Italijos, Kolumbijos, Jungtinės
      Karalystės. Būtų gerai pritaikyti lietuvių kalbai. Tikiu tą padarysime
      sekmadienį per sueigą jeigu ne ankščiau.

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minčių sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius

      Tomorrow we'll chat again to help Kenyans in the post-election turmoil
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/
      We'll start at 15:00 Kenya time, 12:00 UK, 7:00 New York but you can
      come any time and maybe you will find somebody to chat with.

      We're looking for short term ways to help. The situation is serious
      (transportation unavailable, communications shut down, food and water
      shortages, lawlessness and ethnic turmoil). The long term prospects are
      good (the opposition has won many seats in the parliament, which will
      meet in March, and there is a widespread concern for the country). We're
      trying to help individuals help others and also avert a civil war or a
      genocide as occurred in Rwanda.

      The simplest way to help right now is to make phone calls to Kenyans and
      send SMS messages. We are making a list and encouraging calls (note that
      Kenyan time is GMT+3 and the country code is +254. Check the price per
      minute - I recommend using Skype http://www.skype.com).
      +254 725 600 439 Samwel Kongere in Rusinga Island on Lake Victoria near
      Mbita Point. We spoke in the morning but he didn't answer in the
      evening. Samwel is safe and he will try to write in the coming days.
      +254 722 366 777 Muyela is a lawyer in Nakuru who we met today through
      Davis Weddi. We spoke for 15 minutes, see the chat transcript. Muyela
      made clear that everything would stop in one day if the current
      President simply called for an audit of the election results. If you
      call Muyela, then please let him know of Dennis Kimambo's work there
      organizing peace meetings, see Dennis' letter below.
      +254 722 388 275 Dennis Kimambo in Nakuru, community theatre leader and
      peace activist, see http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org/REPACTED
      +254 725 678 641 Tom Ochuka in Kisumu, one of the hardest hit areas. I
      spoke with Tom tonight for 10 minutes. He was robbed and lost his
      digital camera, the pay phone from which his family makes a living, a
      gas cylinder and some funds. I will send him money that Ricardo donated.
      This is for his family, and if anybody has more to donate, Tom can
      organize support for the deaf he works with in Deaf Impact, this is a
      great time to help. http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?TomOchuka
      +254 723 568 251 Kennedy Owino of Nafsi Afrika Acrobats in Nairobi's
      slums. Kennedy would be a great person to support, especially if he
      could distribute and organize help in Nairobi. This morning Samwel said
      that Kennedy was safe but had no transport into Nairobi.
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenOwino http://www.nafsiafriacrobats.org
      +254 720 462 559 David Mutua of Teachers Talking Kenya- outside Nairobi
      in Kangundo district. He is from a minority tribe but perhaps he has
      contacts with people in the President's party which I imagine dominates
      there. Pamela McLean has not succeeded in contacting him.
      Ronald Omondi - western part of Kenya, Nyando district, 100 km from
      Kisumu - what is his telephone number?
      Add to our list...

      Asif Daya, thank you for help and it would indeed be great if you might
      coordinate this further! I will keep you posted regarding fundraising.

      As Muyelo told me, the entire crisis would end in a day if President
      Mwai Kibaki were to call for an audit of the election results. I
      encourage us to "think from our opponent's point of view" which is the
      foundation for "fighting peacefully". What reasons might sway the
      President to call for an audit? Certainly, he might listen to his own
      party. Therefore it is key to engage members and leaders of the
      President's Party for National Unity. I encourage us to find them and
      get their permission to share their phone numbers so that people could
      call them and dialogue with them. And perhaps they might declare their
      support for such an audit and encourages others as well or offer their
      recommendations. Certainly dialogue with them would help reduce strife
      and tensions.

      Tom agreed with this. He also said it would help to get news of the
      international response. Currently they get state television from Nairobi
      and there is no live coverage. Also, Kisumu is cut off from Nairobi by
      tribal differences. Thus it would be helpful to get reports of what is
      happening in Nairobi. I think also that sometimes people locally aren't
      in touch with each other (or they run out of phone credits). So it is
      helpful to relay messages between, say, Muyelo and Dennis Kimbambo in
      Nakuru.

      Josephat Ndibalema of Uyoga in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania is leading our
      translation work into Kiswahili. Our priority now is to translate
      summaries international news as Tom suggests and make that available for
      posting, emailing and printing. Sasha Mrkailo is also collecting texts
      and links, including short works or passages about nonviolent
      engagement, which will be relevant if this crisis continues. Who might
      help him? We're collecting that at
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenyaCommunication

      Thank you to Davis Weddi in Kampala, Uganda and to Kiyavilo Msekwa in
      Arusa, Tanzania who are both a couple of hours from Kenya and will help
      us help refugees coming into those countries. Davis linked us with
      Muyelo and also will be in touch with refugee leaders tomorrow. They
      will report on the refugees' needs, spread their news, and tell us of
      the organizations working there. Thank you for your quick response! I
      have sent them each 100 USD for their work.

      We should contact interested media who would like such reports. I'm also
      sharing with Rising Voices and asking for help from bloggers. Asif
      suggested the Christian Science Monitor.

      It's been reported that Kenyans who send SMS messages will be arrested.
      However, given the shortage of police and understanding the importance
      of widespread activism, I think that such civil disobedience is welcome.
      In a dissident society it's important that everybody risk at least a
      little bit, and that we allow for the entire range of risk takers, from
      the most bold to the most timid.

      I will try to set up a wiki in Kiswahili for our work. Perhaps Helmut
      Leitner will be able to help me tomorrow, we had considered this some
      time ago and it may be easy to turn our existing wiki into a "wiki farm".

      I include below Dennis' letter, another letter, today's chat transcript
      and my chat with Serina, a Kenyan student is Sweden.

      I look forward to chatting tomorrow. There's lot of work for volunteers!
      I also welcome contributions by PayPal to ms@... and let us know what
      you'd like to contribute towards.

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      ------------------------

      Hello all

      Its sad what is happening in our country Kenya, hopefully peace will
      come back ts very sad what we are seeing in other parts of this county
      and our own town here in Nakuru, a good note to this side as we are all
      affected we carried out a meeting today with two ethnic groups that are
      both very much involved with what is happening and tension has been
      building up, at Free Area where most of the landlords are Kikuyu's and
      the Tenants Luo's we used magnet theatre to have a forum with them, and
      it was a very fired meeting as both side tried to prove that they are
      right in what is happening at the end of the day we all agreed that the
      leadership should help with the problem nationally but as locals staying
      here in Nakuru as neighbors they agreed to refrain from violence and
      they will hold the same meetings every 3 days just to help one another
      with the tension and console those who have lost there family in other
      parts of the country, this was possible with the help of the chief of
      the area, as we continue to push for peace we are asking you to pray for
      this country
      Attached are 2 pics from the meeting

      Hi Everyone:

      I am struck with a sense of brother/sisterhood to see the concerns
      people have outside of Kenya and especially folks from our groups. Thank
      You.

      Andrius I will help in any way that is possible to bring peace and
      security to our fellow Kenyans.

      Right now there is no fuel for cars, no Kerosene for cooking nor
      charcoal/coal. There are splinters of small shops open for shopping and
      the lines are long....but the riots continue. People are sleeping in
      other peoples garages to hide from the riots. The majority in Kenya is
      Kikuyu and the info that Andrius gave was absolutely correct on the
      ethnicities of the presidential make up and also of Samwell. I am very
      concerned about Samwell. I tried to call him too. I wish we had a way to
      reach an NGO. The net may be the best way. There is hardly any food.
      People keep worrying about Rwanda in the back of their minds.

      Here is a resource:

      http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0102/p06s03-woaf.html

      This is what I found from a Kenyan site:

      I have just visited GoPetition and found the following page very
      interesting:
      http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/kibaki-must-step-down.html

      Here is another one that was working a few days back:

      Just click on the link and sign petition,

      http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/kibaki-must-resign/signatures-page2.html

      Andrius is right, we must write to our representatives to implement
      peace either by a recount or some other way, but they must be fully engaged.

      I understand from the latest news that Mr. Odinga has called for a
      Million man march to Uhuru Park - but that is going to be a bloodshed if
      the police are engaged - since their orders are to use live rounds of
      bullets. I cry for the people of Kenya - they all want peace, but also
      want a fair election. The scenario is ruined by looters and those that
      destroy due to engaging in ethnic differences.

      May God Bless The People Of Kenya.

      Andrius Kulikauskas in Lithuania
      Sasha Mrkailo in Serbia
      Josephat Ndibalema in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, the capital
      Kiyavilo Msekwa in Arusha, Tanzania near the border with Kenya
      Maria Agnese Giraudo near Rome, Italy
      Ricardo in the UK
      Davis Weddi in Kampala, Uganda
      Fred Kayiwa in Kampala, Uganda
      Kevin in India and from Uganda
      Rojo from Colombia
      Pamela McLean in the UK
      Dennis Kimambo from Kenya
      Benoit Couture in Alberta, Canada

      http://www.worknets.org/archive/

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Agnese, yes I am now :: Good morning, Ricardo!
      I'm taking some steps to help Kenya. Then I'll work on my philosophy,
      have lunch with Tomas Cepaitis and be back for your phone call. When do
      we talk?

      Sasha: HI, I am really upset with the situation in Kenya

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Sasha, I am here. Thank you for your help and
      Josephat agreed that they would translate information into Kiswahili.
      Can you collect some useful information that could be put into a flyer,
      for example, contact numbers for help? :: We can have papers printed in
      Tanzania and they can be taken into Kenya by bus or they can be
      downloaded from the Internet and distributed in Kenya.

      Ricardo: Hi everyone.

      Sasha: hi Ricardo :: nice to se you here :: that is if you are stil here

      Ricardo: Hi Sasha. How are you?

      Sasha: nice thank you :: but was very upset with Kenya news :: HI Pam ::
      just reading some Kenyan blogs :: now is the situation where an includer
      would be of enourmus help :: especially coupled with some radio abilities

      Ricardo: Yes. I saw the TV news with burning houses in Kibera, where Ken
      Owino's Nafsi Arika group lives and works.

      Pam: Hi Sasha and everyone :: hi

      Sasha: terible :: its quite upseting for me because I felt same few
      years ago :: and had similar experiences :: so I can understand how much
      painful this can be

      JosephatNdibalema: Hi everybody

      Ricardo: Do you know whether Ken Owino has been in touch? There was a
      communications blackout.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Ricardo, Josephat, Sasha

      Ricardo: Hi Josephat, Andrius.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Yes I spoke with Samwel and he is in touch with Ken
      :: and they are both fine.

      Sasha: yes Maria Agnese talked with Ken and Sam today I think

      JosephatNdibalema: Fine A ndrius but the new year is'nt welcoming for
      our friends in Kenya

      Ricardo: That's good. I hope things settle down soon.

      Sasha: terrible :: is there some way we can help them?

      AndriusKulikauskas: I sent 100 USD to Davis Weddi and also to Kims in
      Arusha, Tanzania near the border

      Sasha: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Kenya

      AndriusKulikauskas: Josephat I am glad that you can translate

      Sasha: we have here a page where we can add something, ideas
      suggestions, informations....

      AndriusKulikauskas: I think that you could work with Sasha and he could
      find materials :: and Uyoga could translate them into Kiswahili

      Sasha: also have read that it has side effects on other countries in the
      region :: like Uganda

      JosephatNdibalema: Yes i better work on that to help our friends in Kenya

      AndriusKulikauskas: I think it would be go to have even single pages
      (flyers) :: and they could be put online for download and for printing
      and photocopying and distribution :: with the most helpful information
      that could be put on one page

      Sasha: this situation shows how vulnerable are centralised
      communications networks like sms in timesof troubles

      AndriusKulikauskas: such as contact information for NGOs that can help

      Sasha: good idea Andrius

      AndriusKulikauskas: Sasha, please, can you work on this with Josephat ::
      the pages can contain URLs where people can find information

      Sasha: yes I can :: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Kenya

      AndriusKulikauskas: Also we can set up a Kiswahili wiki :: I will try to
      do that today

      Sasha: here is the page wwhere we can gather informatins

      Ricardo: Andrius, is there any way we can help by organizing better
      communications for people?

      Sasha: Maria Agnese told me that they have internet acces :: but I cant
      see any new email from them

      Ricardo: ...perhaps relaying messages from one family member to another.

      Sasha: shortwave radio is a greaat tool :: I have located Kenyan ham
      radio association on the web

      JosephatNdibalema: I suggest that it better if we find iformation on
      civil education that can be translated into Kiswahili to help Kenyan
      citizens

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes we should set up a wiki in Kiswahili

      Sasha: but they dont have any usefull info

      AndriusKulikauskas: and also organize a "phone center" :: because the
      phones are working and I think SMS will too in a few days

      Ricardo: It may be useful just to find out what communications method
      are still working and which aren't, then make that info available to people.

      AndriusKulikauskas: so to help people stay in touch

      Sasha: amateur radio communications are very efficient and reliable in
      this kind of disasers

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes Ricardo

      Sasha: great :: lets put up a page on that :: but first we have to have
      someone on the ground who can give us the info what is working and what
      is not

      Mariaagnese: ken has sent me an sms

      Sasha: can somebody call Sam or Ken and gather info on this?

      Mariaagnese: soperhaps now they cabn receive sms

      Sasha: I dont think that is reliable :: and probably will not work soon

      Ricardo: Andrius, you know everyone, so perhaps you can contact as many
      as possible and collect the info. I think you said that you could
      contact Sam and he is in touch with Ken Owino.

      Sasha: if thing go worse which I hope they wont

      AndriusKulikauskas: I have to allow others to do that :: Sasha can help
      and so can others

      Sasha: its not good to hand everything down to Andrius :: to much
      centralised thinking

      AndriusKulikauskas: Fred was interested to help with phone calls ::
      Agnese did you learn about Fred's visa?

      Sasha: Fred is good, he is our man on the field and he is nearby

      Ricardo: Ok. I can text Sam and see what he knows. I'll do that now and
      see what response I get.

      AndriusKulikauskas: I'm calling Helmut Leitner to ask about ProWiki.

      Sasha: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenyaCommunication :: I think
      that most important now is the information, for the Kenyans :: what is
      happening and where

      AndriusKulikauskas: Josephat, what do you think would be most helpful?
      What kind of information should we translate? Are there refugees or
      travelers coming by bus to Dar es Salaam from Kenya?

      Sasha: if the sms is working perhaps we can make ya some kind of
      newslater an send it to people in Ken :: Kenya with the lates news ::
      newsletter

      JosephatNdibalema: Andrius no any transport going to KeNYA and out of KeNYA

      Sasha: typical :: they want to control the media situation and control
      the people by controloling the informations flow :: it would be good to
      gather info on Kenyan blogs to see is there someone actually bloging now

      JosephatNdibalema: People have been fearing for the current situation
      and security is intensive along Tanzania Kenya border but not closed

      Maria-Agnese: I suugest that we collaborate with associations in Kenya
      Uganda, Tanzania at the border

      Sasha: yes , they are closer there and better know what is really happening

      AndriusKulikauskas: Agnese that's a good idea and we have David Weddi at
      the Ugandan border and Kims at the Tanzanian border :: and they can
      learn which organizations are working there and what kind of help do
      they need?

      Sasha: are there radio amateurs in Dar es Salam?

      JosephatNdibalema: I wish to call Kiyavilo evening and ask him about the
      situation near the border b'se A rusha is very close to the border ::
      Sasha no there is 'nt

      AndriusKulikauskas: Sasha that is a good idea - we could organize radio
      amateurs in Tanzania and Uganda and help them send news :: perhaps Davis
      Weddi knows some, I think he works with radio

      Ricardo: I've just sent an SMS Text to Sam to ask whether everyone is
      okay and whether we can contact Ken Owino by SMS or email.

      JosephatNdibalema: Very interesting idea radio amateurs

      Sasha: here is the page with latest blogs on Kenya ::
      http://www.kenyaunlimited.com/aggregator/ :: it seems that the ne is
      stil open for them :: despite media blackout :: some kind of sms forum
      http://www.mashada.com/forums/ :: whre people are giving latest news

      AndriusKulikauskas: Josephat, why is there no transport? And how are
      people crossing the border? On foot? :: Does anybody have more
      information about Tom Ochuka in Kisumu (Maria said he was robbed). Can
      we send him money?

      Sasha: a post from that forum This just goes to confirm how fragile how
      social fabric is. Within hours, neighbours have slashed each other,
      whole country is on fire. Why? Because 2 fellows hungry of power.

      Maria-Agnese: we have to wait for samwel email to know about Tom ::
      there are internet sites of radio amateurs

      Ricardo: Andrius. I've added a section to your Worknet
      KenyaCommunication page for people to enter the working and non-working
      comms methods. http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenyaCommunication

      Maria-Agnese: Sahsa send a great message to the forum!!! as you have
      sent to me!

      Sasha: I will try :: This just goes to confirm how fragile how social
      fabric is. Within hours, neighbours have slashed each other, whole
      country is on fire. :: Why? Because 2 fellows hungry of power.

      Ricardo: Andrius, I can phone you about the Includer after this chat if
      you like. Is that okay with you?

      Kiyavilo: /room Kiswahili :: /room English

      JosephatNdibalema: Sorry connection is bringing trouble,yes Andrius
      transport to Kenya has stoped due to violence ,bus owners fear ,they say
      we can go until we are sure of asecurity,may be Kiyavilo can tell more

      Ricardo: Hi Kims. How are you?

      Kiyavilo: Hello everyone

      Sasha: hi

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Kiyavilo

      Sasha: I cant find any Kenyan ham operator

      JosephatNdibalema: Welcome Kims,tell us what do you experience in Arusha
      due to ethinic violence in Kenya

      Sasha: web page

      Maria-Agnese: hi everybody

      Kiyavilo: /room English :: /room English :: /room ExtraChat1 :: /room
      ExtraChat2 :: /room ExtraChat3 :: /room Lietuviu :: LT: /room HelpOurClients

      Ricardo: Andrius. You mentioned Kisumu. On the TV news yesterday, it
      said there was a curfew. I don't know whether it is still in place and
      24 Hour. It may stop Tom Ochuka picking up any money if we send it.

      LT: Kiyavilo: /room English

      Pam: I have tried to phone and SMS text David Mutua without success.
      Before Christmas he said he was leaving Nairobi to vote

      Kiyavilo: Today I meet some people from Kenya running from the violence
      there, It seems they are all coming here but the only people who were
      able to manage to come to Arusha town where I am are few. :: /room
      English :: /room English :: /room ExtraChat2 :: /room English

      Ricardo: Andrius, this news report (today 4:41) says the curfew in
      Kisumu is a daytime one 6 till 6PM.
      http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=671300

      Kiyavilo: Sorry for inconvinence am having problem using the chatroom.
      But any way I have the plan to go to the Boarder tomorrow to see if I
      can come across to those who had manage to reach to the boader so that I
      can find out how is their situation so far. Andrius has sent me $100 and
      I will use it to find some information then I will send you the
      feedback. By the way I would like a recommendation latter :: /room
      English :: /room ExtraChat1 :: /room English

      AndriusKulikauskas: Could one of us write a letter of recommendation for
      Kiyavilo, please? :: That he is representing our Minciu Sodas laboratory
      to learn how we can help associations organizing relief?

      Sasha: what kind of letter? Perhaps better someone with native english
      speaking abilities :: I cant find any radio amateur site in Kenya

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Agnese, Pam :: Yes, Ricardo, please call me after
      this chat :: So what are next steps? :: Later today I will try to set up
      a Kiswahili wiki so that we can use that tomorrow.

      Sasha: I have found a calling sign of two Kenyan ham operators :: so if
      someone has ham adio we can use this chanel for emergency communications
      :: perhaps

      Maria-Agnese: I'm no so good in writing a formal letter in english, but
      if nobody is available i'll do and you Andrius check it

      Kiya: /room English

      AndriusKulikauskas: Agnese, that would be great, thank you! :: Hi Kevin

      Kiya: I am sorry guys the power went off and I had the problem using my
      name to continue with where I ended.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Kiyavilo, Agnese will write you a letter. Do you
      need anything for it to say in particular?

      KevinIndia: Hi Andrius

      Maria-Agnese: but it would be a teere of presentation of fred and
      reqyuest to go to the border or to go to kenya? please Sasha explain me
      in skype!!!

      Ricardo: Andrius, I've transferred a little money to Minciu Sodas by
      Paypal in case its needed. I've used up my 30 day sending limit with
      Western Union already, so I can't send it to anyone directly.

      Kiya: By the way What I need to have from andrius is the recomendation
      letter from the group assigning what I need to do since they will need
      an ID confirmation

      AndriusKulikauskas: Agnese it would be a letter for Kiyavilo Msekwa of
      Arusha, Tanzania to our Minciu Sodas network help refugees and help
      organizations that are helping them :: for his work for our Minciu Sodas
      network

      Maria-Agnese: the request is to enter to kenya?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Ricardo, are you there? I have started a page to
      make a shopping list for our Includer components for our hardware team
      in Lithuania http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Purchases :: Agnese, I
      think it is a statement of his work for us, he doesn't need to enter
      Kenya I think just have something to explain to Tanzanian border
      officials :: am I correct, Kiya?

      JosephatNdibalema: look at this video -You Tube-Kisumu Election violence

      Kiya: Yes I think you are

      Maria-Agnese: ok, let me try

      AndriusKulikauskas: Ricardo, thank you, I got your notice :: Ricardo,
      great I received the money

      Kiya: But I have to go now I will try to have this chat on my mobile
      phone because the internet is being closed so I will continue this chat
      on the phone

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes I am thinking that we'll probably send something
      to Tom Ochuka when that is possible :: Great bye Kiya! thank you for
      helping! :: Kiya keep half of the money for yourself and :: use the
      other half as you think best. :: and please keep sending us reports.

      JosephatNdibalema: also have a look on this
      http://www.youtube.com/profil?user=NTVKenya

      Sasha: http://whiteafrican.com/?p=833 :: this is quite interesting,
      similar idea ike I had, send sms news like in newsletters to many Kenyan
      cellphones

      AndriusKulikauskas: Josephat, what next steps do we take? :: Hi Rojo ::
      Josephat, what should we translate?

      Rojo: Hi, from Colombia

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hola! :: Josephat is from Tanzania, I'm from
      Lithuania, Sasha from Serbia, Agnese from Italy, Ricardo from UK, Kevin
      from India :: Kiyavilo is also from Tanzania, not far from Kenya

      Ricardo: Andrius. I've managed to access the purchases page. Do you want
      me to add suggestions for items to purchase or are you going to do the
      list? Is the list of items for the Knight News Challange or just for
      general development?

      JosephatNdibalema: Okey i think it better if we get some information as
      regard to civil education so as to educate our fellow Kenyans

      AndriusKulikauskas: Ricardo, that list is for general development ::
      what would be the first things we should practice with here in Lithuaina
      with our hardware team, like Gumstix, Chumby, displays, processors, etc.

      Ricardo: Andrius, ok. Do you want me to add a list of suggested items to
      purchase?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Josephat, what do you mean by civil education? ::
      Ricardo, yes your suggestions would be very helpful! :: and then we can
      discuss over the phone

      JosephatNdibalema: The problem in Kenya is ethinic the fight is btn the
      two major tribes Ruo and Kikuyu

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes :: Lou, yes? :: so how do we help people stop
      fighting? :: what kind of information will help? :: or keep them safe or
      help them get help?

      JosephatNdibalema: People should be educated on how to exercise their
      right instead of fighting since the country is governed by law

      Sasha: terible I have just seen an youtube video :: many refugees
      already there :: make a list of ngo that could help

      Ricardo: Andrius, have you read Mendenyo messages 823 and 824 yet that I
      posted, about the Atmel processor and displays? It can control displays
      directly using a lot of parallel lines or we can use a TV-like device
      which takes composite-video, RF or AV.

      Sasha: make the list of things they (kenyans) would need in this time

      KevinIndia: ooh its so horrible

      JosephatNdibalema: So Andrius and others the issue of ethnic conlict did
      not start today,this problem has been there but now has been prompted by
      politics

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes Ricardo those letters were great

      KevinIndia: food and shelter are more important to them right now

      AndriusKulikauskas: and we can get a TV here, and also a digital picture
      frame and a DVD player

      Sasha: stupid and damn politicians :: they ar ready to go over dead
      bodies of their countrymen just to get the power

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Davis! thank you for your excellent report

      DavisWeddi: Hi all, I hope am in the right chatroom

      JosephatNdibalema: Sasha that is their collect name damn politicians

      Sasha: ethnic conflicts are everywhere but they usualy end with some
      arguing or ventualy fist figthing :: but this is something much deeper

      DavisWeddi: OK I am looking at 2moro's bulletin and I hope I will be
      able to pass on more information

      Sasha: people are poor, powerless, frustrated, hungry :: and the wont to
      have a life :: if there i no life, well... :: things like this happen ::
      same as i saw here

      DavisWeddi: Now, some analysts in Uganda say, the ethnic tensions in
      Kenya have just been waiting for an opportune moment and if this current
      situation is not handled maturely, it might slide into full-blown genocide

      Sasha: when you cant see a way out of the mess, autodestruction and
      destruction follows

      JosephatNdibalema: It is time to tell Kenyans that fighting will not
      bring any solution,but seat and talk to end violence which are putting
      the country at risk :: Goodbye

      Sasha: bye JOsephtat

      AndriusKulikauskas: Bye Josephat

      Sasha: but how to tell them if they are far and not reachable?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Please keep thinking what information to write and
      to translate :: also Josephat would it help to send Uyoga some money?
      how could you help? Please write us.

      JosephatNdibalema: Exactly Andrius i 'll do that

      AndriusKulikauskas: Yes Davis so our efforts may help even a few people
      and maybe more

      KevinIndia: Hi Davis

      AndriusKulikauskas: We can help people be in touch with their loved ones
      so they are not afraid

      DavisWeddi: Hi Kevin

      KevinIndia: that will be the worst thing to ever happen :: imagine what
      happened in Rwanda

      AndriusKulikauskas: and also to be in touch with organizations so they
      know who can help them :: yes

      DavisWeddi: I pray it does not happen

      AndriusKulikauskas: that was awful

      KevinIndia: should that be the case in Kenya...?

      AndriusKulikauskas: I think not yet :: but let's think how can we help?

      KevinIndia: how many lives will be lost

      DavisWeddi: No. African Union leaders have rushed to Nairobi today and
      it seems they might have to bring warring parties to talk

      Sasha: "Let me tell you this is much much bigger than Kikuyu --v- Luo."

      AndriusKulikauskas: David, Kevin, what message can we send to Kenya for
      distribution there in Kiswahili? :: and in Lou? :: can we make lists of
      telephone numbers that people can call?

      DavisWeddi: We could try to translate in Kiswahili, but the Luo language
      in Kenya is a bit more complicated than the Luo Language in Uganda,
      however, both sides can understand each other when they copmmunicate

      Sasha: the question is , are the phones working and for ho long will
      they work?

      DavisWeddi: There are some numbers that are still accessible right now
      :: and we could try to ask for some more from local regional mailing
      lists here

      KevinIndia: Andrius am sorry i didnt get your first question about
      distribution

      DavisWeddi: In 1999, Kenya hosted the All-Africa Peace conference. But I
      do not know where that spirit vanished after the recently concluded elctions

      Sasha: I think he asked what kind of iformation is important to have
      translated and sent to Kenya

      Maria-Agnese: Andrius i have sent you a draft...

      Sasha: from reading on some blogs it seems that prices of food are
      rising in Kenya

      DavisWeddi: A message like "Machetes, will not solve the problems of
      Kenya - There is need for dialogue instead, we need peace :: Apart form
      food prices rising, the food itself is become scarce

      KevinIndia: but Wendi how can that peace be restored

      DavisWeddi: Kevin the peace will be restored. What is the real problem
      in Kenya is how to share out the "National Cake" equally among all the
      ehtnic groups of the country

      Sasha: actually is there something to share?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Thank you, Agnese, I have sent the letter of
      recommendation

      DavisWeddi: Regional leaders are converging in Nairobi (Kenya's capital)
      to talk out some solutions

      Sasha: make the cake bigger and there will be more to share :: I think
      the pople of Kenya need to tell what to do

      AndriusKulikauskas: How about: "Let's help each other!"

      Sasha: and what kind of help do they ned

      AndriusKulikauskas: and have phone numbers :: and a phone bank :: I
      think the long term hopes are good because the parliament has many
      opposition members, yes? :: but what can we do in the short term? :: We
      can make a list of URLs with information

      DavisWeddi: Yes Andrius that would be good. But how would a person
      wielding a machete take such a message?

      AndriusKulikauskas: It's not for them. :: It's for the people who are
      afraid. :: And for the people who are not taking action, but might want to.

      Sasha: I think the fear is a big problem , people are ontroled by using fear

      DavisWeddi: OK.

      Sasha: fear against each other

      Maria-Agnese: Tomorrow i know when i can get the warrancy for Fred visa

      Sasha: and then goes the rule eye for an eye

      AndriusKulikauskas: So you can talk to the refugees and see what
      messages are helpful. :: and what their needs are :: for example, people
      want to know that their loved ones are safe :: people don't want to be
      anxious

      DavisWeddi: OK

      AndriusKulikauskas: even if you go there and can't do much but just the
      fact that you are there will make people feel stronger

      DavisWeddi: Let me make a call to a Journalist in Mbale town right now
      and hear what he has to say

      AndriusKulikauskas: What practically do you think that you can do? Also,
      you work in the media yes? :: ok

      Ricardo: Andrius, I've started making some updates to the Purchases
      page. Youmay want to take a look.

      Maria-Agnese: fred are you there?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Fred

      KayiwaFred: ihave just come got ataxi quickly hi all :: its hard to travle

      DavisWeddi: Sorry, the Journalist I expected to talk to was off air. So
      I talked to the Resident District Commission of Uganda's Manafwa
      District that border Kenya. It is from Manafwa district that most
      Kenyans are enterign Uganda and going to such places as Mbale

      KayiwaFred: fuel is 5times than before :: am happy weddin the guy in
      media is here with us

      AndriusKulikauskas: Ricardo, that's a great start. The evaluation kit is
      $975 that is expensive for now although in the future may be good. Is
      there another option as we are experimenting for the Includer?

      KayiwaFred: hi wendi

      Sasha: terible Fred

      DavisWeddi: Now, this District Commissioner tells me tonite all those
      who are crossing itno Uganda will have to be registered and then ferried
      to a center.

      KayiwaFred: is Ricado here wow :: what achance

      AndriusKulikauskas: Fred, yes thank you for introducing us to Davis (or
      Weddi?)

      DavisWeddi: Yes Davis Weddi

      KayiwaFred: hi maria

      AndriusKulikauskas: Thank you, Davis. What do we do?

      Maria-Agnese: fred the bank tell me tomorrow when i get the warraty for
      visa, :: in few days

      AndriusKulikauskas: Davis, please keep half of the money I sent for
      yourself, and then use the other half as you think best.

      DavisWeddi: Now, according to the RDC (Resident District Commissioner)
      He will be able to pass on contact of the leaders of the refugees tommorrow.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Great

      Maria-Agnese: great Davis

      DavisWeddi: I am sure it is from these contacts that we shall make a
      direct headway

      AndriusKulikauskas: yes that sounds excellent

      Maria-Agnese: sure

      DavisWeddi: to send messages

      AndriusKulikauskas: what language do most of the refugees speak?

      DavisWeddi: Most if not all Kenyas speak Kiswahili

      KayiwaFred: davis what do u think in nairobi there leaves alady called
      frolence with her babay she called me that were there there is no food
      and they lack food

      DavisWeddi: It is true, that in Nairobi ther eis food scarcity and
      transportation is difficult to get

      AndriusKulikauskas: Agnese, have you received SMS from Kenya, is it
      possible?

      DavisWeddi: A reporter who lives in Nairobi had failed to file a story
      today due to lack of transport

      KayiwaFred: all phones i call are of exect that of frolence

      Ricardo: Hi Fred, how are you?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Ricardo, also I am looking for Includer parts that
      Fred and our hardware team can practice soldering together

      KayiwaFred: Wo Ricado hi :: About Kenya, I bless their souls and am
      grateful that some souls are at rest. :: thats message from Meadowlea

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Solanasaurus, who are you?... and where are you
      from? I'm in Lithuania.

      Ricardo: I just got a reply to my SMS to Sam in Rusinga Island/Mbita
      western Kenya. He says - I'll send info 2moro of our condition.
      Greetings. Sam.

      AndriusKulikauskas: That's good news. I'm supposed to call him this evening.

      KayiwaFred: Ricado you are doing great :: today was sending my ails from
      my phone its your teach

      Solanasaurus: Hello all, I am Solana. I heard about this chat on Rising
      Voices mailing list and :: came to see what was going on

      AndriusKulikauskas: We have Davis Weddi and Fred Kayiwa from Uganda,
      Agnese from Italy, Sasha from Serbia, Ricardo from UK, Rojo from
      Colombia :: today we sent 100 USD to Davis in Uganda so he could see
      what he could do. :: and also to Kiyavilo in Tanzania near the border

      Ricardo: Fred, that's great. We can try all sorts of other experiments
      in the next few weeks and months. Was Andrius sending you a Bluetooth
      dongle for PC-to-phone transfer?

      KayiwaFred: not yet

      AndriusKulikauskas: Fred will come to Lithuania this month :: and I
      found Romas Ciupaila and Zenonas Anusauskas here who can teach him
      electronics and build Includer prototypes :: so I want to buy some
      Includer parts now and hopefully they will arrive in a few weeks ::
      Ricardo, what kind of display could we use with the Gumstix?

      Sasha: maybe we can send peacemaking literature to Kenya

      KayiwaFred: great Andrius

      AndriusKulikauskas: Yes, Sasha, what would you recommend? What is or was
      or would be helpful in the Balkans?

      KayiwaFred: Am wondering if other tribes in kenya are also invloning in
      the caios tel me wendi :: hi kevin hi pam

      Maria-Agnese: fred i'll contact you tomorrow

      KayiwaFred: thanks maria :: ithink you will also write the invitation in
      time

      Maria-Agnese: hope that if we get your visa in time we have to use
      COMMUNIA for Kenya

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Kiyavilo

      Kims: /room English

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Kiyavilo

      Maria-Agnese: Andrius do you plan to use Communia to present information
      for Kenya?

      Kims: Hi everyone am back again

      AndriusKulikauskas: I was thinking of submitting a poster proposal for
      our Includer and then we could explain how it could help

      Kims: Would you guys help me understand where you have ended on the
      Kenya discusion

      Maria-Agnese: i would like we arrange some update from the main sources
      in Internet and from local source in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania

      KayiwaFred: Ricado my laptop failed to use bluetooth may be ihad fake duggle

      AndriusKulikauskas: Davis Weddi came from Uganda and will be able to
      contact the refugee leaders in Uganda, the refugees will be registered
      and taken to a facility

      DavisWeddi: Hi all, I have just been talking to a friend in Nakuru. He
      has just arrived here from Eldoret where he said he left 30,000 people
      of the Kikuyu tribe camped in one place after they were attakced

      Kims: Hello ois there someone who gets my messages

      Sasha: Kims we didnt stop, its our usual practice to talk about more
      thems at once :: yes We all can se your messages Kims

      Kims: ok

      Sasha: Fred did you instal blue toth?

      KayiwaFred: yes idid

      Sasha: I wil search on material for peacefull conflict resolutions :: hm
      :: are you sure you configured it good?

      AndriusKulikauskas: I see, Nakuru is between Nairobi and Kisumu. Eldoret
      is north of both Kisumu and Nakuru, not far from the Uganda border.

      DavisWeddi: Now, The Police Commissione rof Kenya has this Evening
      rushed to the Eldoret town with a number of Buses to remove these Kikuyu
      people and take them back to their centrela province.

      KayiwaFred: ithink so perhaps ineed to check again sasha

      DavisWeddi: This source of information is ready to share some numbers to
      which messages can be sent

      AndriusKulikauskas: So we can post the numbers and who can call them?

      Maria-Agnese: Andrius did you contact Asif ?

      AndriusKulikauskas: who should call them? :: I don't have Asif's phone
      number and he never replied.

      KayiwaFred: GOOD work Wendi

      DavisWeddi: He is called Muyela :: You too can contact him on +254 72
      2366777

      AndriusKulikauskas: And where is he? and how can he help?

      KayiwaFred: and when we call what can we tell him?

      Maria-Agnese: is better that Andrius interview him

      KayiwaFred: kevin are u here

      DavisWeddi: Right now, I did not ask how he can help, all he is talking
      is that "we are in problems, the situation is bad," I could not talk
      long with him as my line is shaky and i was missing out some words

      Maria-Agnese: this contact is very important

      Ricardo: Fred, I'll go through how to get Bluetooth working with you by
      email in the next day or two.

      KayiwaFred: Ricardo is your yahoo messanger on ?

      Kims: Thanks Andrius am going to print the recomendation letter later
      and use it for the project tomorow

      AndriusKulikauskas: Ricardo, this processor AT91SAM9261 is excellent
      (low power and price) but I think we should start with the Gumstix ::
      Davis is he in Nakuru?

      Maria-Agnese: who will contact mr Muyela?

      AndriusKulikauskas: I can call him no :: now

      DavisWeddi: Yes he is in Nakurur right now :: I wish to leave the
      cahtroom for a moment

      Kims: So David where are you at the time being??

      KayiwaFred: perfect ANdrius

      AndriusKulikauskas: Thank you Davis for all of your help

      KayiwaFred: bye davis were are u now?

      AndriusKulikauskas: Davis is in Kampala, Uganda

      KayiwaFred: in jinja kamapala busia were? :: u are still in kla ok perfect

      Ricardo: Andrius. I think you're right. I had forgotten that the Gumstix
      comes with Linux 2.6 pre-installed. That's an easy intro. If we get a
      Gumstix with USB Host capability, then we can add a USB VGA Adaptor and
      use any VGA Monitor for the display. There are some USB VGA adaptors on
      Amazon, but we need to check the manufacturers site to ensure there's a
      Linux driver before buying a particular adaptor.

      AndriusKulikauskas: Ricardo, so we can use a regular computer monitor...
      and also is there a nice display that you can recommend, something 5" or
      7" that would work with the Gumstix?

      KayiwaFred: iwish to leave bye guys thanks for your care continue with
      this sipirit

      AndriusKulikauskas: Fred, thank you for everything!

      KayiwaFred: any question before i leave may be?

      AndriusKulikauskas: speaking with Muyela :: people were burned in a
      church at Eldoret :: he is in Nakuru :: he heard from his friends in
      Eldoret :: they are not 100% safe and they are not sleeping :: they have
      had tribal clashes before where they are

      KayiwaFred: yes a catholic church right thats true

      AndriusKulikauskas: and there are people moving from smaller towns
      taking refuge

      KayiwaFred: oh My God

      AndriusKulikauskas: people are goign to the police stations and churches
      :: there are shortages there is no water the hygiene is poor and there
      is no food :: what kind of information would be helpful? :: most Kenyans
      think that the election was fraud :: if that was corrected there
      wouldn't be a problem :: and the president was not fairly elected and
      sworn in with such unusual speed

      KayiwaFred: then in this The likes of pam needs to intervine quickly
      imean British

      Sasha: sometimes th

      KayiwaFred: will follow letter

      AndriusKulikauskas: the majority of people think fairness was not done

      Sasha: information on how to get safe water

      AndriusKulikauskas: if the process is audited that will solve the problem

      KayiwaFred: please wendi and all call me in any help am free all this week

      AndriusKulikauskas: even the commission has stated that what they have
      done has made thigns worse

      KayiwaFred: bye

      AndriusKulikauskas: he is a lawyer

      KayiwaFred: whats funny my nebour is a kikuyu together with his wife but
      they also dont believe that this is in kenya

      Sasha: same as we had in Serbia

      AndriusKulikauskas: what could we do that is most useful?

      Sasha: but we didnt resort to violence

      AndriusKulikauskas: they need food, water, medicine :: if it goes for a
      long time :: but if there is an audit then it will all solve in one day

      KayiwaFred: Ithink Andrius you write to other Ngos because redcross is
      aready on ground perhaps they can assist

      AndriusKulikauskas: how do we find the people in government to reach?

      KayiwaFred: iguess the audit wont make much diffrence since the guy is
      aready sworn in

      AndriusKulikauskas: the minister in charge of security :: is cruel and
      the one who banned live events

      KayiwaFred: Sam, david may be knows govt officials

      AndriusKulikauskas: John Michuki :: should we focus on the security
      forces? :: but more important is the president :: parliament will only
      meet in March :: is there a media blackout :: have been warned that
      people sending SMS will be arrested :: but radio and television stations
      are operating but no reprorting any events live :: they need money to
      call on the telpheon :: where he is there is no Internet :: SMS civil
      disobedience is possible

      Sasha: I dont think they can control SMS

      AndriusKulikauskas: no they can't arrest everybody

      Sasha: but they can probably shut it down :: tell him there is an SMS
      web forum :: but its useful only to send out info

      AndriusKulikauskas: He will give a list of telephone numbers next time
      of people that we can call. I said that I will call or somebody else
      will call. And we can post his telephone number on the Internet. :: So
      that is something we can do is to make calls and send SMS messages to
      keep people informed and share information and encourage civil
      disobedience regarding the SMS.

      Maria-Agnese: i would rather be more inform ed of ongos are doing there
      :: there is somebody who is collecting this kind of information?

      Sasha: I dont think it is :: its all hapening too quickly

      Maria-Agnese: there are so many ngos there and international like Plan
      international :: Amref :: we have to plan someting in connection with them

      Sasha: ngo often seems to me like parasites enjoying themselves where
      people suffer :: a page on
      http://www.idealware.org/articles/peace_through_ICTs.php :: technology
      for peace building

      AndriusKulikauskas: hmm

      Sasha: I am out for now :: bye

      AndriusKulikauskas: thank you, Sasha! :: Ricardo, I see your note on the
      Purchases page

      Ricardo: Andrius, I've got to go out now. I'll have to phone you
      tomorrow. Can you email me a good time please? The Gumstix site has an
      LCD Pack with a Samsung display. I'll check it out further.

      AndriusKulikauskas: ok :: 12 noon your time would be good is that fine?
      :: thank you so much

      Ricardo: That's fine. Bye.

      AndriusKulikauskas: peace :: ok I will head out now and then continue
      further with next steps

      Maria-Agnese:
      http://www.unevoc.net/fileadmin/user_upload/pubs/IntLib_DiscP_PostConf.pdf
      :: this is a publication about the role of radio in a post conflict time
      :: hi Benoit!

      Benoit: Hi Maria and Andrius, I dont know if this can help but here is
      the list of diplomatic missions in Keynya:
      http://www2.tagish.co.uk/Links/embassy1b.nsf/Embassies:%20Host%20Countries%20-%20K
      and this next one is to search where Kenya has diplomatic missions in
      the world http://www2.tagish.co.uk/Links/embassy1b.nsf/launch?openform
      :: I cant stay long. It is quite amasing to read the chat of today.

      Maria-Agnese: this could be a starting point with ngos :: sorry i have
      to stop and go home. i'll read the cht in the archive and i hope Andrius
      will summarize it :: bye!

      Benoit: Such activity represents the seedlings of where governance needs
      to nurture and to release the help from. By Maria. Good work! :: /room
      English :: Talk with you later. Salut...

      Dennis: Hello all :: /msg AndriusKulikauskas

      AndriusKulikauskas: Hi Dennis :: Are you writing from Kenya? Is this
      Dennis Kimambo? :: Thank you for your letter to Rising Voices!

      [21:20:34] Andrius Kulikauskas: Hi Serina, any news from Kenya? Do you
      have Tom Ochuka's phone number. Agnese says that he was robbed. I would
      like to try to call him.
      [21:22:33] Serina: Hi Andrius! I believe he is using the same number
      that is on the wiki. I have tried calling Kenya but the connection is so
      bad.
      [21:23:06] ... I was to travel but Sweden has imposed a travel ban
      [21:23:33] ... many people are fleeing and the worst hit place is Eldoret
      [21:23:38] Andrius Kulikauskas: Hmm, his number is not on our wiki.
      [21:24:02] Serina: where people are seeking refuge in the 'Burnt Forest'
      as it's called
      [21:25:59] ... We need your ideas on this we alrady have the
      costings with us.
      Thanks
      DEAFIMPACT
      P.O.BOX 3100
      KISUMU
      KENYA
      TEL +254725678641
      [21:26:14] ... the number is there...just found it
      [21:27:56] ... it was among the earlier correspondence...sorry it was
      yahoo groups
      [21:28:18] Andrius Kulikauskas: ideas on which?
      [21:29:13] ... We had a good chat today and my thought is to focus on
      encouraging dialogue with members and leaders of the Party of National
      Unity so that they would encourage the President to call for an audit of
      the election results.
      [21:29:26] ... because that would stop everything right away
      [21:29:39] ... and it would overcome the hatred if we reach out to that
      party
      [21:29:50] ... so we need to find as many people there as possible
      [21:30:44] Serina: the commisioner in charge of elections has admitted
      he was pressurized to announce the results and he is not sure whether
      the president was the winner
      [21:30:54] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes
      [21:30:58] Serina: so that is a breakthrough in itself
      [21:31:09] Andrius Kulikauskas: but now it's a matter of "looking from
      your opponents point of view"
      [21:31:18] ... looking from the President's point of view is the key
      [21:31:27] ... how can he be reached?
      [21:31:31] ... best by his own party
      [21:31:38] Serina: even if he opens parliament, the first issue will be
      a vote of no confidence then the elections have to be carried out again
      [21:31:50] Andrius Kulikauskas: yes
      [21:31:53] Serina: i haven't the slightest clue
      [21:32:08] ... he has been very quiet on the whole issue
      [21:32:11] Andrius Kulikauskas: do you know any party members?
      [21:32:24] ... we can encourage such phone calls to party members
      [21:32:31] ... and ask them to request an audit
      [21:32:41] ... for the sake of the party
      [21:32:48] ... and all of Kenya
      [21:33:30] ... The opposition won a majority in parliament, yes?
      [21:33:33] Serina: It's difficult to know among the ordinary people but
      kenyan bloggers are writing open letters
      [21:34:24] ... thats what the people demand hence the chaos
      [21:34:44] Andrius Kulikauskas: so it's important to look at the
      opponent's point of view
      [21:35:14] Serina: everyone should have their say
      [21:36:22] ... we are open minded
      [21:36:28] ... to dialogue
      [21:38:43] ... exuse me
      [21:40:40] ... Have to go now