Sahaja Yoginis at risk for brittle bone disease?

  • sukamoga
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      As we all know, Sahaja Yogis are not supposed to drink. An alert
      co-worker brought my attention to the recent news item below.

      PS: If you need me, I'll be at the liquor store.

      Alcohol may protect women's bones

      Researchers deemed eight units of alcohol per week to be
      'moderate'

      Moderate alcohol consumption could help protect women
      against brittle bone disease, according to a new study.

      Researchers at London's St Thomas Hospital examined the
      effect of alcohol on 46 pairs of identical twins, who drank either
      moderately or very little.

      The moderate drinkers - who drank an average of eight alcohol
      units a week - had significantly denser bones than those who
      consumed very little.

      The research findings were published in Annals of the
      Rheumatic Diseases.

      Researchers focused on the bone mineral density of subjects,
      as measured at the hip and spine.

      Chemical markers of the bone turnover were measured using
      urine samples.

      The findings also support the results of previous studies which
      found that smoking causes thinner bones and osteoporosis.

      But the study failed to establish a clear link between bone
      production and alcohol intake.

      Excessive drinking

      It is hoped that the latest findings could be used to help develop
      new treatments for osteoporosis.

      It is unlikely that alcohol consumption will be prescribed to
      female patients, according to Professor Tim Spector of St
      Thomas' Hospital, London.

      Prof Spector, who is based in the hospital's Twin Research and
      Genetic Epidemiology Unit, warned that excessive drinking is
      likely to have a negative effect on bone structure.

      Prof Spector said: "Alcohol is like any other drug - it works
      differently at different levels and different people will also react
      differently to it.

      "Further work to find out what in alcoholic drinks produces this
      effect could be useful."

      Twins were used as study subjects because they are genetic
      clones who have grown up in the same environment.

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3855813.stm
    • balwinsome
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        Ha ha Su - nice one. If, just supposing, your Relative who was in SY
        was one of the heaviest drinkers you knew, what does that mean? Are
        they a) hopelessly alcoholic, b) not a proper SY, c) suffering severe
        stress from the strain of having to hide their habit from the cult,
        d) all of the above? What would happen if one accidently reported to
        the collective what one knew?

        ttfn
      • Giahn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2004
          Su, if they go around wearing wooden shawls, it won't be good for
          their bones.

          I drink wine or some other alcohol approximately once every 2 weeks.
          If it's really cold, I drink a bit of brandy or port - just very
          small glasses.

          Seriously, I don't think bones are the only thing at risk in Sahaja
          Yoga.

          I wonder about the effects of inhaling all of that incense and ajwan
          smoke.

          Giahn

          PS Did you read the story in the archived messages I sent about "the
          ajwan chair" - a chair with a hole in it where you could - er - sit,
          and let the ajwan smoke "attend to your mooladhara chakra"?