Concerned About My Boyfriend

  • luk386
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
      (( Sorry I emailed this out, meant to post it to board. Been a long time since I been in a Yahoo Group but alas, all I am doing out of concern for my boyfriend and yet he can't even see that. ))

      I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now and he's always had a picture of that Shri Mataji in his car that I found off but never thought much about. He would also go to the Sahaja Yoga meeting every Sunday morning but I thought it was yoga.. Just some simple stretches.

      It's not until a few weeks ago I started to become concerned when I bought a ticket to Italy and refused to let me come. From what he was describing it sounded like a cult (Staying at some convent where I am unwelcomed and just meditating) but I couldn't fathom someone of his ambition and intellect succumbing to a cult... Heck, I didn't even imagine such cults exist in this day and age.

      Looking this all up online... Well, I'm scared. I wish he was lying to me. He went on a vegetarian kick for a few weeks which I assume is the result of this organization. He has been alcohol free for over a year now (Which he said was his own decision but I don't know anymore). He meditates in the morning and at night. He has that picture in his car and he's always listening to Indian music and chanting (Again, I never thought much about it until now). He hates my music, listens less and less to his own music, hates pretty much all TV and movies. Has a nasty view on America and Americans and a hatred towards Jews... The list is endless. Pretty much everything being preached by this organization he is picking up on.

      I don't know who I'm in love with anymore. Am I in love with someone who I thought was a unique individual or just another drone? At first I was upset about him going to Italy without me as I feel we should be traveling together but now I'm just worried.

      He claims to be a Mormon (Which as a Christian I have reservations about but believe we can have a happy, successful relationship) but yet he's meditating to this woman. When I asked him about it the other day he got all defensive.

      I don't know what to do. I was up all night last night looking this all up and sending him some articles and an email pouring out my heart and when I asked him if he read the emails he said no. He refuses to even look at my emails so I told him that the least he can do is read what I wrote him and to not call me until he does.

      Now he's saying I just want to judge him and argue which I feared he would blame something else and just run away from me but at the same time I don't know what else to do as I cannot stand idly by and watch him lose his identity to this cult.

      Most upsetting is how he judges me all the time and my beliefs while he doing all this. He refuses to buy certain clothes because they were made in sweatshops but yet he is giving his entire soul over to this woman who uses child labor to build her homes and robs parents of their children to abuse them at some boarding school. As upset as I get at him I try to remember he's a victim and have been standing by but I feel my only option is to draw a line in the sand.

      All I'm asking right now is for him to read my emails after which I'm sure there will be no change but I will refuse to hear his Indian music, chantings or anything of this Sahaja Yoga and even refuse to enter his car unless he puts that picture away which I doubt he'd do but I don't know... I just don't know what to do and I'm scared of losing who I feel to be my true love but even more scared of him losing himself to this cult.

      Any ideas?
    • chatticati
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 26, 2009
        Hi Luk -

        This once-busy forum has gone all quiet lately. I hope someone will respond to your post. I'm not the right one to do so as I only attended one meeting and ran for the hills.

        Hopefully, you'll hear from someone soon...

        Cat

        --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "luk386" <luk386@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > All I'm asking right now is for him to read my emails after which I'm sure there will be no change but I will refuse to hear his Indian music, chantings or anything of this Sahaja Yoga and even refuse to enter his car unless he puts that picture away which I doubt he'd do but I don't know... I just don't know what to do and I'm scared of losing who I feel to be my true love but even more scared of him losing himself to this cult.

      • nina ilushin
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 26, 2009

          Hi, Luk.

          I am not a best person to give you inside SY cult information but I am was a victim of this cult myself.

          My husband started SY and try to involve me as well, but I did not went to meeting first (was busy with kids and home) but started to read S.M. books and others about SY. I was so surprised how sully, unmetered and even stupid it sound most of the time. And of case did not feel like to even started to attend local pujas with my husband. He, on the other side, did not read books at the beginning but was excesses SY practice with a group. I am like yourself did not worry about it at the begging, did not see all danger of it and was absolutely aware what he will be off this in no time. He is high educated person in his late 40th – he defiantly will realize how foolish this cult is. But I was mistaking.

          Time went by and almost after 7 years I reach the point what cannot take it anymore. He was not involve in SY too much (did not spend a lot of time for SY activities or went to other places for pujas) but he was not with me or family anymore. De stopped stare/talk with me – all he was talking with S.M. If I did try to argue or raze some issues – he was just peacefully smiling and ignore all what I says. And of case he was not drinkig any alcogol, no cofe, only Indian SY music, no TV, no books but SY's and all those things.

          After 25 years leaving together we were separate by soul. And be aware, if you would not be with SY – you will be outsider and if you are looking for connection with your husband/boy friend it would not happen. SY organization protect herself from outsiders.

          Of case you need to try to talk with your boyfriend and make him listen to you – but do not be too hopefully. It is like a brain wash, like they are under some spell and do not see all in the same color as we are.

          As I will continue my story: I did try to talk as well.. Send him some emails, stories, pictures and so… He refused to listen, read and believe in anything. I blame myself for a long time what I did not give him something (peace, good family, perfect kids – who know what but something …) what he found in SY. At the end I was so tiered to leave with a stranger what make statement what he should make a choice between me and SY. He stay with me what I really was surprise for me. It already 2 years as he is out of SY. He is back to normal himself but it took him almost a year to recovery. He was literally sick for first few months – how scared it is. What this is about – SY is a really dangerous cult.

          There is small chance what your boyfriend will stay with you if he will be in SY. Most likely he will be married or chosen for him other good SY what who knows what country. Most importantly she is SY. If you will married him and he will be in SY and you are not – think about kids. They will be in SY and would not have any choice in their life.

          This cult has so many protocols – how and what to do. How to serve tea in what dishes, how to approach S.M. (if you will allowed). How to dress, what to eat, how to sleep and so… Almost on everything there is a role. S.M. even approve and encourage husband to punish a wife if she misbehave (bit her, take away kids…). How sad it is.

          Anyway, I know you are worry about your boyfriend and yourself as well. But as you will pass this time you will became stronger and will learn your lesson for future. A lot of people in the world hurt by this cult in much difficult way: Marries on chosen one who is abusive, family lost contact with kids because they are in SY, parents not contacting with kids if they are not in SY as well, divorces, molestation and abuse in SY schools  and  this list are endless.

          Good luck in your future life but whatever you will be ended with your boyfriend – do not count what all disappeared and will be perfect as you will married him unless you became SY as well.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2009
            Hi luk386,

            I see you are going through what so many others (including myself) have gone through: watching a loved one get seduced and ensnared by a cult.

            I agree, it's hard to believe cults still exist in this day and age, but they're out there. Fortunately, Sahaja Yoga is a very weak and dying cult. The founder is barely coherent and mostly propped up by antipsychotic drugs.

            What you have to understand, luk, is that people who explore Sahaja Yoga, in the beginning, are going in with the best intentions: they want to be healthier, happier and do good. And, it's how SY is presented, initially. It isn't until much later, when new recruits have invested time, and maybe small amounts of money, that all the worshipping and judging begins.

            Once that starts, every outsider (people not in SY) is considered to be "caught up" (having imbalances in their chakras) in one way or another. Some are even considered "bhootish" (possessed by evil spirits). And for SYs, being around such people means they can "catch" (become infected with the supposed catches of others), too.

            Of course, all of this is nonsense. But it's very difficult to explain that to someone who is spending a lot of time with others who claim to be experiencing great things while practicing SY. Again, none of the claims are backed with proof.

            Advice? I doubt I have to tell you this, but just in case: Whatever you do, do not join the cult yourself. Not only will you be wasting your time (and possibly money), but you'll also risk getting sucked in yourself. How do I know this? It happened to me.

            I was 25 years old, and months away from getting married. My fiance (now my husband) and I were both interested in healthy living. We were vegetarians who hiked and loved the arts. Then he saw an ad for SY, which offered "free meditation" sessions. He wanted to go, so we did.

            After the first meeting, I was very skeptical, and really didn't want to pursue it further, but he was intrigued. So, I went along, thinking maybe no harm would come from it.

            Long story short, we wasted 10 years of our lives and thousands of dollars in this cult. And it wasn't until years after we left that we realized what had happened to us.

            I hope things turn out well for you and your boyfriend. But whatever path he chooses, it will have to be his choice. And if you can't even get him to read your emails, then I'd say it may take a long while for him to figure out he's part of a scam.

            Best of luck to you both.

> [...]
            >
            > All I'm asking right now is for him to read my emails after which I'm sure there will be no change but I will refuse to hear his Indian music, chantings or anything of this Sahaja Yoga and even refuse to enter his car unless he puts that picture away which I doubt he'd do but I don't know... I just don't know what to do and I'm scared of losing who I feel to be my true love but even more scared of him losing himself to this cult.

          • John Glough
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2009

              luk,

              Don't worry.
              Most people tend to be overenthusiastic when they first come and experience their inner awakening.

              He has found what he has been seeking for a long time - his spiritual enlightenment.
              It is what Christ called the "second birth"

              Sahaja Yoga does NOT ask you to be vegetarian or "give up" a family life.
              Most of us are married with children and have good to great careers.

              Support him, and give him some slack - many men need to feel unfettered.

              Regards,
              John

              To: talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2009
                Dear luk ,
                I do agree with mr. john ,
                have patience , with the passage of time Every thing will become all right,

                regards
                ss

                From: luk386@yahoo. com
                Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:57:49 +0000

[...]

                Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8.
              • miguel de castro henriques
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 3, 2009

                  (( Sorry I emailed this out, meant to post it to board. Been a long time since I been in a Yahoo Group but alas, all I am doing out of concern for my boyfriend and yet he can't even see that. ))

                  I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now and he's always had a picture of that Shri Mataji in his car that I found off but never thought much about. He would also go to the Sahaja Yoga meeting every Sunday morning but I thought it was yoga.. Just some simple stretches.

                  Well Sahaja Yoga is not a Yoga - just a recent new age cult made in India. A syncretic melting pot of indian superstitions including some version of anglo-christianism. And Yoga is not simply Pilates, ie, some stretches, or some western version of "easy" Hatha Yoga.
                   Traditional and classic Yoga is very old, has a tremendous dignity, and it's the foundation of all our philosophies.

                  It's not until a few weeks ago I started to become concerned when I bought a ticket to Italy and refused to let me come.

                  Well, is that love?

                  From what he was describing it sounded like a cult (Staying at some convent where I am unwelcomed and just meditating) but I couldn't fathom someone of his ambition and intellect succumbing to a cult...

                  Well, actually and suprisingly cults absorb surprisingly intelligent people. An the SY cult is no exception- (A convent? SY disaproves catholics, and in Itlay convents are all catholics)

                  Heck, I didn't even imagine such cults exist in this day and age.

                  For the student of History and Sociology and Culture this day and age in many respects is not particularly better than any other day and age. It's even been called the Rise of The Age of the Barbarians With Technology.

                  Looking this all up online... Well, I'm scared. I wish he was lying to me. He went on a vegetarian kick for a few weeks which I assume is the result of this organization.

                  It isn't. The Founder - Mataji -used to eat loads of meat. SY does not advocates vegetarianism.

                  He has been alcohol free for over a year now (Which he said was his own decision but I don't know anymore).

                  Alcool is frowned upon by the organization. It's even one of its bêtes noires. You drink, doesn't matter if moderately or not? - then you're possessed. Some evil spirit is using you for his her drinking. That's their line about alcool. Mataji even said that Jesus didn't drink wine, just grape juice. Amazing, uh?

                  He meditates in the morning and at night. He has that picture in his car and he's always listening to Indian music and chanting

                  He is following the set of rules of the cult. Much of that chanting has psychological effects: it helps to achieve the zombie effect. People are supposed to hear loads of that cult music - which is by no means the best indian music. It's indoctrinating, gives a pseudo.sense of peace and love. It acts like a tranquilizer

                  BTW Mataji, the founder, is being treated as a psycothic and also as a diabetic.
                  Ironically enough, she claimed that diabetes was caused becasuse the person was "possessed".

                   (Again, I never thought much about it until now). He hates my music, listens less and less to his own music, hates pretty much all TV and movies.

                  Well, much of all TV and movies is very weak. It's part of mass culture, so it's very poor. In the USA as well as everywhere.

                  try Joahn Sebastian Bach and see what happens.

                  Has a nasty view on America and Americans and a hatred towards Jews...

                  Ask him what is an American. The natives? The european emmigrants? Black people? From which part of Africa? Animists? Muslims? Fetichists? WASPs? America is a mosaic. There are no americans. It's a fiction. So he hates a fiction. What is there, in the States as well as in Europe,  is a complex mosaic of cultures

                  The list is endless. Pretty much everything being preached by this organization he is picking up on.

                  Yes. They aptky clone with their casettes and DVDs their followers' minds. They end up having mono-thinking, party-line thinking. Very bovine, indeed. SY privileges the Collective, so it kills originality, the individual, which is considered Ego.

                  I don't know who I'm in love with anymore.

                  Excuse if I am brutal, but just consider that sometimes we fall in love with the wrong person.

                   Am I in love with someone who I thought was a unique individual or just another drone?

                  Both. And we may err, we may make mistakes. Even constant mistakes.

                   At first I was upset about him going to Italy without me as I feel we should be traveling together but now I'm just worried.

                  Well, when people are in love they don't stand to be separated. They want to be all the time together. So,it seems that though you were in love, he no longer was.

                  Mataji ridicules the expression to "fall in love".

                  He claims to be a Mormon (Which as a Christian I have reservations about but believe we can have a happy, successful relationship)

                  Mormonism is a dangerous cult. If you believe that you can have a succesful relationship with a mormon you're a bit naive. In Mormonism a man is supposed to have several wives.  Which is OK, if you agree with the deal..

                   but yet he's meditating to this woman.

                  Which proves that SY is not a Yoga. In Yoga you don't meditate to somedoby, or over somebody, or for somebody.

                   When I asked him about it the other day he got all defensive.

                  I believe he did that because  he fears there is some cracked thing with his scene. Otherwise, if he was feeling ok with his cult, he would have an open stand, an easy aproach. It shows he is not entilerly confident. But how could he be? Moomons, and all cult followers are over-paranoid.

                  I don't know what to do.

                  For the moment let it be. Don't fight back. Don't try to correct him. Or show him what and how to act. Just be yourself.

                  I was up all night last night looking this all up and sending him some articles and an email pouring out my heart and when I asked him if he read the emails he said no. He refuses to even look at my emails so I told him that the least he can do is read what I wrote him and to not call me until he does.

                  Of course that's the least he could do. Someone who does'nt read the mails of his lover, and consequently doesn't answer them? What to think? Crazy. Pathological. No way. Even insulting.

                  Now he's saying I just want to judge him and argue which I feared he would blame something else and just run away from me but at the same time I don't know what else to do as I cannot stand idly by and watch him lose his identity to this cult.

                  It seems he had already lost part of his identity to mormonism. So it's a double loss to two cults: SY and Mormon.

                  It's hard. But for the moment he in a state of immersion within the cult.

                  That's very well said. He is imbibed to the bone, with the burning neophyte's zeal on full swing.

                  His mind has been fagocited by the tentacles of the Collective Insect.

                  What to do? I am affraid there are not formula answers.

                  Just wait. Be patient. Stay happy. Have fun! Don't get involved with his mystic melodrama.

                  Most upsetting is how he judges me all the time and my beliefs while he doing all this.

                  SY is ultra-judgemental, full of Do's and Don'ts , full of a thousand tiny  rules, that's why they were atly caractherized as fundamentalists.

                   He refuses to buy certain clothes because they were made in sweatshops

                  hehehe

                  but yet he is giving his entire soul over to this woman who uses child labor to build her homes and robs parents of their children to abuse them at some boarding school.

                  Never expect rational behaviour from an involved SY follower. Anyway Mataji did not use child labour to build her homes, just adult labour.

                   As upset as I get at him I try to remember he's a victim

                  Well, playing the upset role is not very productive. In part he's a victim, on other hand he is trading with a deal of his own.

                   and have been standing by but I feel my only option is to draw a line in the sand.

                  Absolutely. Stand by, keep your part of the bridge open, but firmly be yourself.

                  All I'm asking right now is for him to read my emails after which I'm sure there will be no change but I will refuse to hear his Indian music, chantings or anything of this Sahaja Yoga and even refuse to enter his car unless he puts that picture away which I doubt he'd do but I don't know...

                  At this moment it will be useless to ask him to remove that photo. The fat and psychotic Lady is his divinity, now.

                  Do you have a car? have fun with the photos you put in your car. Fill it with a lot of photos of fatties - guys and dolls. Old and young. Or collect an album with super-fatties.

                   I just don't know what to do and I'm scared of losing who I feel to be my true love but even more scared of him losing himself to this cult.

                  Sorry, maybe he is not your true love. I believe that you're too young and a bit naive. But I believe that you're smart enough and kind-kearted and will find whatever you're looking for.

                  Otherwise, we never loose no one.Because no one belongs to us. Ad we don't belong to no one. So analyse that "loosing". Were you owning him or somnething?

                  Any ideas?

                  Give space. Take time. Stand to your own convictions. Follow your feminine intuition and your reason. Just be yourself. Use humour. Adopt a cat. Learn to fly. Practice Tai-Chi. Learn french. Change hair-style. Buy a nice cotton dress. Swim a lot. Ride in a bike. Go to your favourite concerts. Go to a party. Play Bach, or play back. But never deviate from this: your SELF. That's your goal, my goal, our goal. Our no goal too.

                  Best wishes,

                  Miguel

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 3, 2009
                    Dear miguel,
                    I don't who you are.
                    but the manner you have put your things or tried to explain the things are excellent.
                    Yes I do agree there are various types of yogas that are practiced in India , We know about some of them and we do't know about many of them.

                    But I would like to tell you one thing no yoga tells any body to be in love with some one and start disliking with others.  the end goal of evry yoga is enlightment , it can be by living within family or going in jungle etcc, etc..

                    every yoga tells you to be neutral towards everybody, whether wife or daughter or lover or god ( which we don't know , for which every one ( yogis) are in search), and love evry body , respect every body as god resides in evry living or no living things ,

                    any prctice or cult or yoga which hurts any body is not a yoga and the person who is practicing it ( without love or is neutral) is fooling himself and others and wasting his time , you might have read about lord krishna he was /is considered to be the greatest yogi of all times has some many lovers and he used to love each one of them without hating any body. the essence of yoga is love , love yourself, love others including your mom , dad, friends , your dog, your plants .give ecah one of them respect them as much u can and belive me / trust my words , the nature will return the back same with interest to you.

                    rest in next message , bye for now,

                    regards with love , take care
                    sanjiv sinha

[...]

                    From what he was describing it sounded like a cult (Staying at some convent where I am unwelcomed and just meditating) but I couldn't fathom someone of his ambition and intellect succumbing to a cult...

[...]

                    See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
                  • miguel de castro henriques
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2009
                      Dear Sanjiv.

                      Thanks for your kind words.  I belong to one or two generations that were saturated with hippy bomb-loves and gurus of any description trying to proselitize us in the name of Love-love-love. Lovey-dovies and love rascals Syrupy love merchants and energetic love sellers.Love so called godess and love sigers of any description.

                      So I developed some antitoxins, vital it may seem, necessary, biological, even metaphysical against love-love talk and writings.

                      I believe, as said Rainer Maria Rilke in Letters to a Young Poet that one should avoid writing poems abot love until one is 30 or more years old. Only poets should dare speaking of love, otherwise such subtle feeling or state of mind risks becoming trivial,

                      Hate belongs to the nucleus of love, it is love gone sour, as well as love is hatred alchemized. They are both together becuase they share the same ground of energy, and eve the same wavelength. Then sometimnes love turns into hatred, and hatred into love. None are eternal, both can be melted, and transcended.

                      So I don't believe that the goal of Yoga, - any real Yoga is love. It is more sbutle it is the going away from love and hatred, from polar opositions, and is the melting of both in something greater that you may call karuna or compassion.

                      Anyway the bolywood or the holywood melodranma they're trying to pump into us forcibly, even the Micahel Jackson and similar popstars' lovebombism are similar to drugs, to intoxications, and to dangerous cults like SY.

                      in Odd we trust,

                      Miguel, a renegade protuguese, scotsman living in Portugal

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 7, 2009
                        Dear Miguel,

                        How are u?

                        Are you alone or living with  your family or girl friend ?

                        Through your lengthy mails I can understand Mr. Miguel is not an ordinary person,

                        Frankly speaking I don't know much about yoga , Miguel Can you help me out by letting me know something about yoga as per you .by the way may  I know which Yoga You follow.

                        Which relegion you follow ? or you follow many religions or you don't follow any , What about your father & mother , Brothers & Sisters?

                        Do you have children , are they burden on you ?

                        are you a social person , What you have done for  you , family , parents and society ?

                        No not at all you may or may not like to answer all or some of the questions ,

                        are you happy , how do you make others happy?

                        regards
                        sanjiv sinha

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009
                          Dear Sanjiv Sinha.

                          As this forum is not about my private life and opinions I decline to answer your questions. If you want I will answer you privately.

                          Best regards,

                          Miguel

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 8, 2009
                            Dear Miguel,
                            sorry, for using the massage board.
                            I just wanted to iknow about you , if u do't have any problem you can reply to mail id.

                            regards
                            sanjiv