Re: Sahaja Yoga Gets Unflattering Mention in Oxford Encyclopaedia of New Religio

  • Giahn
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1 3:46 PM
      Thanks for the info, Lumi.

      Hope things are gooing well with you.

      Just goes to prove that us ex-SYs do read this site - even when we
      don't have time to post, eh.

      I've been very busy over the past 6 months with work, study, etc.

      --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "lumingatar"

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0195220420/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-1936488-3725755#

      > do a search on Sahaja Yoga, and you'll be able to read the article.
      > Get a password if you don't have one already.
      >
      > Lumi
      >
      > --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "Giahn"
      > <nutmeg2323@> wrote:
      > >

      > > According to an ex-yogi who isn't posting here the moment, she came
      > > across a few pages about Sahaja Yoga in the Oxford Encyclopaedia of
      > > New Religions whilst browsing in a bookshop.
      > >
      > > Apparently the article is quite critical of Sahaja Yoga - and she
      > > thinks it even mentions that Mataji was the disciple of Osho.
      > >
      > > Anyone care to check it out?
      > >
      > > If I can find anything on-line, I'll post it - or I might check it out
      > > next time I have another reason to visit a bookshop.
      > >
      > > Giahn

    • sukamoga
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2 9:41 AM

        LOL!  Unflattering indeed!  But all true.  Including this on page 201:

        "...women are encouraged to be weak, submissive and 'feminine' in imitation of traditional Indian wives.  Leadership positions are held almost exclusively by men.  There appears to be a fairly high turnover among the membership, which is not growing..."

        Excellent news!

        P.S: Good to hear from you Giahn.  Hope you're relaxing a little, even if you're very busy.

        And hi, Lumi!  Nice to see you posting again too.

        --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "Giahn" <nutmeg2323@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the info, Lumi.
        >
        > Hope things are gooing well with you.
        >
        > Just goes to prove that us ex-SYs do read this site - even when we
        > don't have time to post, eh.
        >
        > I've been very busy over the past 6 months with work, study, etc.
        >

        > --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "lumingatar"
        > lumi.sammallahti@ wrote:
        > >

        > > The book is New Religions A Guide: New Religious Movements, Sects and
        > > Alternative Spiritualities. See
        > >

        > http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0195220420/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-1936488-3725755#
        > >
        > > do a search on Sahaja Yoga, and you'll be able to read the article.
        > > Get a password if you don't have one already.
        > >
        > > Lumi
        > >
        > > --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "Giahn"
        > > <nutmeg2323@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > According to an ex-yogi who isn't posting here the moment, she came
        > > > across a few pages about Sahaja Yoga in the Oxford Encyclopaedia of
        > > > New Religions whilst browsing in a bookshop.
        > > >
        > > > Apparently the article is quite critical of Sahaja Yoga - and she
        > > > thinks it even mentions that Mataji was the disciple of Osho.
        > > >
        > > > Anyone care to check it out?
        > > >
        > > > If I can find anything on-line, I'll post it - or I might check it out
        > > > next time I have another reason to visit a bookshop.
        > > >
        > > > Giahn

      • miguel de castro henriques
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2 11:09 AM
          in french it would be called instead of femme-femme, just femmelette. Real women weak and submisive? he hehe.

          sukamoga <sukamoga@...> wrote:
          LOL!  Unflattering indeed!  But all true.  Including this on page 201:
          "...women are encouraged to be weak, submissive and 'feminine' in imitation of traditional Indian wives.  Leadership positions are held almost exclusively by men.  There appears to be a fairly high turnover among the membership, which is not growing..."
          Excellent news!
          P.S: Good to hear from you Giahn.  Hope you're relaxing a little, even if you're very busy.
          And hi, Lumi!  Nice to see you posting again too.

          --- In talk-about-sahaja- yoga@yahoogroups .com, "Giahn" <nutmeg2323@. ..> wrote:

          > Thanks for the info, Lumi.
          >
          > Hope things are gooing well with you.
          >
          > Just goes to prove that us ex-SYs do read this site - even when we
          > don't have time to post, eh.
          >
          > I've been very busy over the past 6 months with work, study, etc.
          >

          > --- In talk-about-sahaja- yoga@yahoogroups .com, "lumingatar"
          > lumi.sammallahti@ wrote:
          > >

          > > The book is New Religions A Guide: New Religious Movements, Sects and
          > > Alternative Spiritualities. See
          > >

          > http://www.amazon. com/gp/reader/ 0195220420/ ref=sib_dp_ pt/102-1936488- 3725755#
          > >
          > > do a search on Sahaja Yoga, and you'll be able to read the article.
          > > Get a password if you don't have one already.
          > >
          > > Lumi
          > >
          > > --- In talk-about-sahaja- yoga@yahoogroups .com, "Giahn"
          > > <nutmeg2323@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > According to an ex-yogi who isn't posting here the moment, she came
          > > > across a few pages about Sahaja Yoga in the Oxford Encyclopaedia of
          > > > New Religions whilst browsing in a bookshop.
          > > >
          > > > Apparently the article is quite critical of Sahaja Yoga - and she
          > > > thinks it even mentions that Mataji was the disciple of Osho.
          > > >
          > > > Anyone care to check it out?
          > > >
          > > > If I can find anything on-line, I'll post it - or I might check it out
          > > > next time I have another reason to visit a bookshop.
          > > >
          > > > Giahn

        • sukamoga
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3 9:55 AM
            Funny. Mataji never seemed weak and submissive. If anything, she
            seemed kinda manly.

            --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, miguel de castro
            henriques <migcah2003@...> wrote:

            > in french it would be called instead of femme-femme, just femmelette.
            Real women weak and submisive? he hehe.

            > sukamoga sukamoga@... wrote:
            > LOL! Unflattering indeed! But all true. Including this on page 201:
            > "...women are encouraged to be weak, submissive and 'feminine' in
            imitation of traditional Indian wives. Leadership positions are held
            almost exclusively by men. There appears to be a fairly high turnover
            among the membership, which is not growing..."
            > Excellent news!
            > P.S: Good to hear from you Giahn. Hope you're relaxing a little, even
            if you're very busy.
            > And hi, Lumi! Nice to see you posting again too.
            >
            > --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "Giahn" nutmeg2323@
            wrote:

            > > Thanks for the info, Lumi.
            > >
            > > Hope things are gooing well with you.
            > >
            > > Just goes to prove that us ex-SYs do read this site - even when we
            > > don't have time to post, eh.
            > >
            > > I've been very busy over the past 6 months with work, study, etc.
            > >

            > > --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "lumingatar"
            > > lumi.sammallahti@ wrote:
            > > >

            > > > The book is New Religions A Guide: New Religious Movements, Sects
            and
            > > > Alternative Spiritualities. See

            http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0195220420/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-1936488-372\
            5755#

            > > > do a search on Sahaja Yoga, and you'll be able to read the
            article.
            > > > Get a password if you don't have one already.
            > > >
            > > > Lumi
            > > >
            > > > --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "Giahn"

            http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          • miguel de castro henriques
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4 1:06 AM
              She was married to SY, a lot of "children".

            • sukamoga
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4 5:41 AM
                Even gay people get married and have kids. But I guess its unlikely
                that was the case with mataji. Especially considering her obsession
                with Rajneesh.

                I think mataji confused the word "children" with "servants."

                \
                > 5755#

                > article.

                > came