OT: The Pinwheel Galaxy

  • giahn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006

      I  thought this latest picture taken by Hubble and the information about the Pinwheel Galaxy was interesting:

      The galaxy contains about one trillion stars, about 100 billion thought to be about the same age and temperature as the sun.

      The galaxy's spiral arms have large star-forming nubulae, star nurseries in hydrogen clouds. And bright young clusters of newborn blue stars trace out the spiral arms.

      According to researchers, the disk of the galaxy is so thin that Hubble easily sees many more distant galaxies through it.

      The Pinwheel Galaxy lies in the northern constellation the Great Bear and it is about 25 million light-years from Earth.

      Giahn

      Hubble spies Pinwheel galaxy in pin-sharp detail

      Galactic gallery released

      Published Tuesday 28th February 2006 12:35 GMT
      Pinwheel galaxy: European Space Agency & NASA
      Images released today from the Hubble Space Telescope show the gigantic Pinwheel galaxy in unprecedented detail. Regions where stars are born are clearly visible in the set.

      The spectacular super-high definition main portrait (pictured right) is actually a composite of 51 individual exposures.
      The Pinwheel sits face-on 25m light years away in the constellation Ursa Major, and contains at least a trillion stars, and 100 billion which are probably similar to our sun in heat and lifespan. At 170,000 light-years across, the spiral is about twice the diameter of the Milky Way.
      The full set of images can be found here. ®

      Do you Yahoo!?