Re: Sahaja Yoga Marriage Vows

  • Giahn
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      Bride says: "I will help to keep your mooladhara chakra in order.

      Giahn says: What on earth does THAT mean? And why just the mooladhara
      chakra?

      Bride says: "You hand over all the wealth which is in your possession,
      I will take care of those things.

      Giahn says: But what if I'm not as good with money as you are?

      Bride says: "You should only eat the food that is cooked by me
      or your brothers and sisters"

      Giahn: You mean he can't eat food cooked by his own mother?

      Bride says: "and if taken outside the home, you should vibrate it."

      Giahn: And how does he do that at his family home {or anywhere else}
      without looking weird?

      Bride: "I will be loyal to you and you will be loyal to me."

      Giahn: Fair enough.

      Bride says: "I will do all household work with my physical and
      spiritual powers.

      Giahn: All the household work? What if I have a back injury?
      As for doing it with spiritual powers, you mean like "Aum, by the
      grace of Shri Mataji, let this floor vacuum itself"?

      Bride says: I will live with love and affection, and will obey you.

      Giahn: How far are you prepared to go in obeying him? What if he asks
      you to beat your own child or assist you in misappropriating cash? YOu
      will OBEY him even if his demands are unreasonable?

      Bride: You should help me in my work,

      Giahn: What work? You just said you would do all the housework.

      Bride: and I wil help you in the work of Sahaja Yoga."

      Giahn: What? Housework AND the work of Sahaja Yoga?

      Bride says:"I will keep my Laxmi chakra in order,

      Giahn: Roughly translated: "I will do all of the housework and sit
      around the house with no interests other than kids and cooking.

      Bride: this will keep your laxmi tattwa in order.

      Giahn: Oh yeah? HOW?

      Bride: You should give account of all you bring home, nothing will be
      hidden."

      Giahn: This must sound great women who love money.

      Groom says: "I will give you happiness and peace with love and affection,

      Giahn: Sure thing. I'll sing and hum bajans while breaking my back on
      all the housework.

      Groom: but you will also have to think about my happiness and peace.

      Giahn: Now what could be fairer than that! {Grrr!}

      Groom: You should not go outside without my permission and I will tell
      you when I go outside.

      Giahn: Sounds bad. If you openly voice your desire to go out all of
      the time, the bhoots will be alerted to where you are - and follow you
      around.

      Groom: I will not discuss or think about the past and you will
      not discuss or think about the past."

      Giahn: So it isn't fun to look at old photos and reminisce about good
      times?

      Groom says: "You should take care of me and my children

      Giahn: Hhhmn, ME and MY children. What happened to OUR children? And
      where is the groom's offer to financially support his wife and look
      after HER? I don't see much of any commitment from the groom to
      cherish and take care of his wife. BTW I know of at least two cases
      where women left Sahaja Yoga and their SY spouses were actively
      encouraged NOT to pay the women any maintenance.

      Groom: and you should respect and welcome other Sahaja brothers and
      sisters when they come to our home."

      Groom: "If I commit any mistakes while doing Sahaja Yoga, you should
      excuse me and I will excuse you."

      Giahn: Couldn't be fairer! {but I'll make an exception if you're Guido}

      Both say: "Shri Adi Shakti Mataji Nirmala Devi has put us in holy
      bandhan by our marriage and this is a very great fortune by this act
      of Mataji as Mahayagnya."

      Giahn: I felt a distinct pain in my third eye when I read this.

      Both say: "We will offer everything to Her Feet, that is our health,
      wealth, mind and heart."

      Giahn: No wonder she's so rich!

      Both say: "We will work to increase Sahaja Yoga."

      Giahn: YOu mean 'increase the wealth of our guru'.

      Both say: "We will bring our children up in Sahaja Yoga and that is
      our duty."

      Giahn: Yeah - and we'll send our kids to India school even if they get
      abused - because even abuse is part of the scheme of things - and it's
      all part of the maya.
    • semirafields
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        --- In talk-about-sahaja-yoga@yahoogroups.com, "Giahn"
        <nutmeg2323@y...> wrote:

        > Bride says: "I will help to keep your mooladhara chakra in order.
        >
        > Giahn says: What on earth does THAT mean? And why just the
        mooladhara
        > chakra?

        *****Semira says: This means that it is up to the wife to keep the
        man totally sexually satisfied and that it is her fault and
        inadequacy if he goes off lusting after other women.

        > Bride says: "You hand over all the wealth which is in your
        possession,
        > I will take care of those things.
        >
        > Giahn says: But what if I'm not as good with money as you are?

        *****Semira says: NO ways is an Eastern man going to give his wife
        anything he doesn't have to. And even if he wants to, his family
        (mother, father etc) will ensure that he does not.

        > Bride says: "You should only eat the food that is cooked by me
        > or your brothers and sisters"
        >
        > Giahn: You mean he can't eat food cooked by his own mother?

        ******Semira says: Well, the food his wife cooks will never be as
        good as his mother's, you know...

        > Bride says: "and if taken outside the home, you should vibrate
        it."

        > Giahn: And how does he do that at his family home {or anywhere
        else}
        > without looking weird?

        *****Semira says: Don't know what they'd think of this one. They'd
        probably blame the wife, though.

        *****Semira says: Yes. Pity only the women stick to this one.

        > Bride says: "I will do all household work with my physical and
        > spiritual powers.
        >
        > Giahn: All the household work? What if I have a back injury?
        > As for doing it with spiritual powers, you mean like "Aum, by the
        > grace of Shri Mataji, let this floor vacuum itself"?

        *****Semira says: Of course, Giahn, what else do you think you're
        actually getting married for, if not to faithfully and
        uncomplainingly serve? Why on earth else would a man want to get
        married?

        > Bride says: I will live with love and affection, and will obey
        you.

        > Giahn: How far are you prepared to go in obeying him? What if he
        asks
        > you to beat your own child or assist you in misappropriating cash?
        YOu
        > will OBEY him even if his demands are unreasonable?

        ******Semira says: The love and affection sounds good, but why is
        obeying thought to be necessary? Surely love and affection means
        caring and sharing, not master/slave stuff?

        *****Semira says: This is really funny.

        > Bride: and I wil help you in the work of Sahaja Yoga."
        >
        > Giahn: What? Housework AND the work of Sahaja Yoga?

        ***** Semira says: How about helping each other when needed? How
        about sharing and supporting each other in all difficulties?

        *****Semira says: Sure, Giahn, how else can you control a wife?

        > Bride: this will keep your laxmi tattwa in order.
        >
        > Giahn: Oh yeah? HOW?

        *****Semira says: His home is running smoothly without any effort
        from him, see, leaving him free to deal with the 'important 'things.

        > Bride: You should give account of all you bring home, nothing will
        be
        > hidden."
        >
        > Giahn: This must sound great women who love money.

        ***** Semira says: I doubt any of the men actually keep this vow.
        However, about women loving money, maybe this is to compensate for
        the lack of love in the marriage? Isn't this getting into the area
        of something approaching prostitution, within the marriage?

        > Groom says: "I will give you happiness and peace with love and
        affection,

        > Giahn: Sure thing. I'll sing and hum bajans while breaking my back
        on
        > all the housework.

        *****Semira says: I like happiness, peace, love and affection. Just
        not sure how these things fit into the above framework, though?

        *****Semira says: Definitely.

        > Groom: You should not go outside without my permission and I will
        tell
        > you when I go outside.
        >
        > Giahn: Sounds bad. If you openly voice your desire to go out all of
        > the time, the bhoots will be alerted to where you are - and follow
        you
        > around.
        ******Semira says: More master/slave stuff here. Dominate and
        control.

        > Groom: I will not discuss or think about the past and you will
        > not discuss or think about the past."
        >
        > Giahn: So it isn't fun to look at old photos and reminisce about
        good
        > times?

        ***** Semira says: Yes, where is the sharing and the loving in this?
        What about getting to know more about your partner, and
        understanding and closeness?

        > Groom says: "You should take care of me and my children
        >
        > Giahn: Hhhmn, ME and MY children. What happened to OUR children?
        And
        > where is the groom's offer to financially support his wife and look
        > after HER? I don't see much of any commitment from the groom to
        > cherish and take care of his wife. BTW I know of at least two cases
        > where women left Sahaja Yoga and their SY spouses were actively
        > encouraged NOT to pay the women any maintenance.

        *****Semira says: This is patriarchy raising its ugly head. Do you
        not know, you are only here to serve. Your worth is in how well you
        can do this.

        > Groom: and you should respect and welcome other Sahaja brothers and
        > sisters when they come to our home."

        *****Semira says: For goodness sake, why is telling the wife she has
        to be a good hostess part of marriage vows?

        > Groom: "If I commit any mistakes while doing Sahaja Yoga, you
        should
        > excuse me and I will excuse you."

        > Giahn: Couldn't be fairer! {but I'll make an exception if you're
        Guido}

        *****Semira says: What about mistakes in the marriage? What about
        the marriage relationship?

        > Both say: "Shri Adi Shakti Mataji Nirmala Devi has put us in holy
        > bandhan by our marriage and this is a very great fortune by this
        act
        > of Mataji as Mahayagnya."
        >
        > Giahn: I felt a distinct pain in my third eye when I read this.
        Both say: "We will offer everything to Her Feet, that is our health,
        > wealth, mind and heart."
        >
        > Giahn: No wonder she's so rich!
        >
        > Both say: "We will work to increase Sahaja Yoga."
        >
        > Giahn: YOu mean 'increase the wealth of our guru'.
        >
        > Both say: "We will bring our children up in Sahaja Yoga and that is
        > our duty."
        >
        > Giahn: Yeah - and we'll send our kids to India school even if they
        get
        > abused - because even abuse is part of the scheme of things - and
        it's
        > all part of the maya.

        *****Semira says: Marriage should be a special relationship between
        two people who are prepared to work at sustaining their partnership
        so that there is balance and harmony. Kids deserve to be brought up
        in a secure and happy atmosphere. Unfortunately, in societies such
        as India, there are great contradictions; for example kids get told
        to respect the mother, yet see that mothers and women are actually
        treated with no respect in homes and society. It is a vicious cycle.
        About the abuse in schools and ahsrams; I just do not understand why
        the parents of the children involved did not press charges.
      • Simon_D_M
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
          > > Bride says: "You hand over all the wealth which is in your
          > possession,
          > > I will take care of those things.
          > >
          > > Giahn says: But what if I'm not as good with money as you are?
          >
          > *****Semira says: NO ways is an Eastern man going to give his wife
          > anything he doesn't have to. And even if he wants to, his family
          > (mother, father etc) will ensure that he does not.

          this isn't my experience among the Chinese, men often give the
          vast majority of their money to their wives. Also it is often
          accepted that while the man's money belongs to the family, if a
          woman earns then the money is just for her.

          Best, SD