Re: [taigtools] TAIG MILL

  • Tom Benedict
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4 11:14 PM
      On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, stalled2000 wrote:

      > WAS CNSIDERING BUYING TAIG MILL 2019 , I PRIMARILY WANT TO MACHINE STEEL
      > AND STAINLESS STEEL. JUST FINISHED 2YRS OF SCHOOL AT COUNTY VO- TECH .
      > LIKE TO HVE SOMETHING AFFORDABLE NAD NEW .

      If you've been using full-sized mills at school, something the size of a
      Taig may be... Well, it'll be different. It will machine carbon and
      stainless steel, but expect to take light cuts and not use very large
      mills.

      When looking at machines to buy, try to have an idea of the stuff you're
      likely to make. If you're thinking about making small parts, the Taig
      really is quite good. If you're looking at machining large parts that
      will routinely be larger than the work envelope on the Taig, you might
      consider a bigger machine.

      > ALSO VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING INTO CNC. SHOULD I GET A CNC READY WITH
      > THE HAND CRANKS INSTALLED RIGHT AWAY .

      If you're interested in getting into CNC, getting a CNC-ready mill will
      save you some steps when you decide to convert your mill. The CNC-ready
      mills use beefier leadscrews, among other things. You'd still need to get
      motors, mount them, set up driving electronics, etc. But the mechanics of
      the mill would be there.

      > WROTE DIRECTRLY TI TAIG..THEY DIDNT ANS. ALL MY QUESTIONS ,WHICH GOT ME
      > WONDERING ABOUT THEM .

      Most likely they're just busy. I haven't talked to them recently, but I
      can vouch for them and their product. Both are top-notch.

      > PLUS I CANT FIND ONE TO LOOK AT IT. TAIG REFERD ME HERE!!! thanks
      > stalled

      Good place to be referred! Where are you located? Someone on the list
      may live close enough to let you take a look at one.