Re: [taigtools]Pulleys

  • Steve Blackmore
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1 12:54 AM
      On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:17:00 -0000, you wrote:

      > I like to machine as fast (time, not
      >speed) as possible, time is money. Making the best use of available
      >power allows you to do things faster.

      Wait until yours arrives and try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

      >Where did you get that motor/controller? How heavey is the motor?
      >Looks like a nice setup, .4HP is quite an improvment over the 1/8hp
      >stocker. I have a 1/3 HP leeson DC motor on the way but i'm
      >experianceing a delay in the mail. Cant wait for it to arrive.

      Both motor and controller were bought at a Model Engineering
      exhibition of one of the "surplus" stalls. The controller is a K&B.
      Motor weighs about 9lbs.

      I just got another Eurotherm 508 1-12A controller on ebay for 20UKP, a
      very good deal, new price 145UKP, that's now on the CNC lathe. The
      motor on that is a huge old 1980's 180V DC 1HP job that weighs about
      30lbs and draws 4.5A !! Speed range on that is 100-1100rpm (the head
      bearings are only rated for 2000). The speed limitation has not been a
      problem on that, it's quite capable of taking a 50thou cut in steel at
      15ipm, although 20thou is my normal roughing cut depth.

      There are two distinct strategies for working out cutting feeds and
      speeds, I tend to use relatively constant spindle speeds and adjust
      feed to suit, rather than constant feed and adjust spindle. Both the
      lathe and mill are capable of moving at speeds higher than I am
      comfortable with, so I have to do some tuning occasionally, but I've
      got my post processors pretty well sorted now.

      --
      Steve Blackmore