Re: which stepper motors and drivers for taig 2019cr

  • jeffalanp
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi woodnack,
      I have read some comments about datasheets from some of the
      surplus dealers being in-correct. Did their wiring diagram seem
      correct for your motors. I hate it when things go pop and poof and
      let the smoke out.

      Jeff

    • woodknack
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
        No It was not correct!!! They have the center tap wires mixed up! So
        it on my web page.

        http://users.adelphia.net/~wjdupont/my_taig_cnc_mill.htm

      • jeffalanp
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hi,
          Thanks for the warning and information!
          Jeff

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "woodknack" <wjdupont@a...> wrote:
          > No It was not correct!!! They have the center tap wires mixed up!
          So
          > it on my web page.
          >
          > http://users.adelphia.net/~wjdupont/my_taig_cnc_mill.htm
          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "jeffalanp" <xylotex@h...> wrote:
          > > Hi woodnack,
          > > I have read some comments about datasheets from some of the
          > > surplus dealers being in-correct. Did their wiring diagram seem
          > > correct for your motors. I hate it when things go pop and poof
          > and
          > > let the smoke out.
          > >
          > > Jeff
          > >
          > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "woodknack" <wjdupont@a...>
          > wrote:
          > > > Oh ya I forgot to say the the motor was set up it Half wind
          mode!
          > > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "woodknack" <wjdupont@a...>
          > today.
          > for
          > > > 20
          > stepping
          > > reason
          Which
          > In
          > > > my
          > looking
          But
          > > > still
          > from
          > > and
          > axis
          > The
          > for
          > > > dollar
          > for a
          > it
          > > > for
          > this
          > > page
          > > > amps.
          > > list
          > x10
          > Don't
          > hobby

          > > axis
          > for
          > one
          > in,what
          > > self
          > > > recomended
          > brass
          > > > at
          > info
          > really
        • Steve Blackmore
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
            On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:11:16 -0000, you wrote:

            > I ran my Xylotex board with my new 187 oz vexta motors today. I
            >ran them hooked to nothing. They were run on Turbocnc and set for 20
            >threads per inch. The board was also set up at 1/8 micro stepping
            >mode. I was getting OVER 60 IPM reliably! So I don't see no reason
            >why you cant get at least 30 hooked up to the Taig mill. Which In my
            >opionion is plenty fast enough.

            Not a conclusive test - the motors are pushing nothing but themselves.

            Try cutting at 30ipm and watch them either stall, or try and pull more
            power and either overheat or blow something. Have a look at

            http://www.orientalmotor.com/automated/product/files/44.pdf

            which are Vexta motors - they give the torque curves, just watch how
            it drops as the speed increases. (I can't find one their site that
            relates to your rated oz/in specs, but the same rules hold).

            It's a very careful balancing act to get required speed & power -
            hence my comment.

            --
            Steve Blackmore
          • broken003@juno.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
              What material (and depth) are you cutting @ 30IPM?

              --- Steve Blackmore <steve@...> wrote:

              On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:11:16 -0000, you wrote:

              > I ran my Xylotex board with my new 187 oz vexta motors today. I
              >ran them hooked to nothing. They were run on Turbocnc and set for 20
              >threads per inch. The board was also set up at 1/8 micro stepping
              >mode. I was getting OVER 60 IPM reliably! So I don't see no reason
              >why you cant get at least 30 hooked up to the Taig mill. Which In my
              >opionion is plenty fast enough.

              Not a conclusive test - the motors are pushing nothing but themselves.

              Try cutting at 30ipm and watch them either stall, or try and pull more
              power and either overheat or blow something. Have a look at

              http://www.orientalmotor.com/automated/product/files/44.pdf

              which are Vexta motors - they give the torque curves, just watch how
              it drops as the speed increases. (I can't find one their site that
              relates to your rated oz/in specs, but the same rules hold).

              It's a very careful balancing act to get required speed & power -
              hence my comment.

              --
              Steve Blackmore

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • Carol & Jerry Jankura
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
                > I ran my Xylotex board with my new 187 oz vexta motors today. I
                > ran them hooked to nothing. They were run on Turbocnc and set for 20
                > threads per inch. The board was also set up at 1/8 micro stepping
                > mode. I was getting OVER 60 IPM reliably! So I don't see no reason
                > why you cant get at least 30 hooked up to the Taig mill. Which In my
                > opionion is plenty fast enough.

                Actually, the no load performance will only define the absolute upper limit
                of your system, not the actual value that you can expect once you attach
                your hardware to it. What happens if you grab the shaft of one of your
                motors running at over 60 IPM? Most likely, the motor will stall out. Well,
                your Taig mill (or any other tool) also puts a load on the motor that would
                cause it to stall out.

                > I think that people that buy there mill this way, are looking to
                > build it cheaper then they can buy it from Taig all setup. But still
                > want atleast the same or close to proformance the full setup from
                > Taig does. I believe and this is my opionion, this is the best and
                > cheapest way to do it. The motors are $35.00 each. and the 3 axis
                > board with power supply and connectors is under $200 dollars. The
                > G201 are $139 dolaars apiece! Thats almost $400 dollarsjust for
                > those let alone having to build a power supply another $100 dollar
                > and then you'd still need to get steppers. Way to expensive for a
                > taig. I don't believe they are going to get much more out of it for
                > that money.

                From what I've seen from the specs, the Gecko and Xylotex units are both
                competitively priced and don't really compare to each other. The Xylotex is
                at the lower end (2-2.5 amps and 24-35 volts) The Gecko is at the higher end
                (7 amps and 80 volts). Personally, I have the Camtronics driver, which I
                built from a kit. I'll eventually move to the Xylotex system unless
                something better comes along when I'm ready to change. If I were in doing
                this to make a buck, I'd use the Gecko's right off the bat. Their price is
                really reasonable (actually, it's quite low compared to the $7500 per axis I
                paid for CompuMotors prior to retirement) and they would fit into the
                industrial environment better.(IMHO, YMMV)

                -- Jerry
              • Steve Blackmore
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
                  On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:49:04 GMT, you wrote:

                  >What material (and depth) are you cutting @ 30IPM?

                  I'm not, well not with 2A drives anyways ;)

                  Woodnack thinks maybe he can - if so I take my hat off to him and will
                  replace my 4A motors/Gecko's with a Xylotex and 2A motors
                  forthwith<G>.

                  --
                  Steve Blackmore
                • Scott A. Stephens
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Be interested in a list parts/suppliers. I am still debating
                    which parts to use to CNC my mill.
                    At 03:13 PM 6/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >I'm using 4 Pac-Sci 210 oz motors with Gecko 210 drivers and
                    >TurboCNC. I went with the Gecko's because my motors are 3.3 amps. I
                    >built the controller/power supply and have a parts/supplier list if
                    >anyone is interested. Not the cheapest way to go, but the x10
                    >microstep of the Gecko's results in very smooth movement. Don't know
                    >the max speed, but it rapids as fast as I need to go on a hobby
                    >machine.
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >Ed Ferguson
                    >
                    >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "atz42.geo" <ds@d...> wrote:
                    > > Hi ,i need to buy the stepper motors and driver for the 3 axis of
                    >my
                    > > taig cnc ready mill,what do you guys recommend,the g201,s for
                    >drivers
                    > > are popular but do i need to buy 3 of these for my 3 axis one for
                    > > each axis,is there not a box with all 3 drivers built in,what about
                    > > the flashcut drivers, i would prefer an easier do it your self job
                    > > rather than a more difficult one .also along with the recomended
                    > > driver which motors are most popular ,i will be cutting brass at
                    >some
                    > > point .sorry about the dumb questions but theres so much info out
                    > > there and money is tight .any leads.thanks for any info.
                    > > and Thank you to everyones help so far,this group is really helping
                    > > me out a lot.
                    > > chris

                    >Let the chips fly!

                  • Peter Homann
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 3, 2003
                      Hi,

                      I can get 60ipm rapid moves on my Taig Mill using the Steppers that come
                      with the CNC mill, the Xylotex board running of 24V and running under Mach1
                      and turboCNC. One thing to note is that the standard steppers are unipolar
                      and were wired in 1/2 winding mode (using the centre tap and on end).

                      I am also getting this performance with the standard Taig controller and my
                      TurboTaig board running under Mach1.

                      Peter Homann
                      mailto:Peter.Homann@...
                      Adacel Technologies Limited,
                      250 Bay St, BRIGHTON, 3186, AUSTRALIA
                      http://www.adacel.com <http://www.adacel.com>
                      Telephone +61 (3) 8530 7777, Facsimile +61 (3) 9596 2960
                      Mobile 0421-601 665

                      > I ran my Xylotex board with my new 187 oz vexta motors today. I
                      > ran them hooked to nothing. They were run on Turbocnc and set for 20
                      > threads per inch. The board was also set up at 1/8 micro stepping
                      > mode. I was getting OVER 60 IPM reliably! So I don't see no reason
                      > why you cant get at least 30 hooked up to the Taig mill. Which In my
                      > opionion is plenty fast enough.

                      Actually, the no load performance will only define the absolute upper limit
                      of your system, not the actual value that you can expect once you attach
                      your hardware to it. What happens if you grab the shaft of one of your
                      motors running at over 60 IPM? Most likely, the motor will stall out. Well,
                      your Taig mill (or any other tool) also puts a load on the motor that would
                      cause it to stall out.

                      > I think that people that buy there mill this way, are looking to
                      > build it cheaper then they can buy it from Taig all setup. But still
                      > want atleast the same or close to proformance the full setup from
                      > Taig does. I believe and this is my opionion, this is the best and
                      > cheapest way to do it. The motors are $35.00 each. and the 3 axis
                      > board with power supply and connectors is under $200 dollars. The
                      > G201 are $139 dolaars apiece! Thats almost $400 dollarsjust for
                      > those let alone having to build a power supply another $100 dollar
                      > and then you'd still need to get steppers. Way to expensive for a
                      > taig. I don't believe they are going to get much more out of it for
                      > that money.

                      From what I've seen from the specs, the Gecko and Xylotex units are both

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 4, 2003
                        Well there you have it! someone that has moved there taig at 60 IPM.
                        With A Xylotex board! I would not cut at that speed like someone
                        asked! I would only want that speed (30 IPM) for rapid travels. And
                        yes I was running the motors at half wind mode and I could push them
                        much faster then 60 IPM. At 60 IPM I could not stop the stepper
                        motor with my fingers! Sorry if I am coming across wrong here, I am
                        just trying to help some people out that don't want to spend a
                        fortune on a cnc milling machine.
                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Homann" <peter.homann@a...>

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Steve Blackmore
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 4, 2003
                          On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:31:02 -0000, you wrote:

                          >Well there you have it! someone that has moved there taig at 60 IPM.
                          >With A Xylotex board! I would not cut at that speed like someone
                          >asked! I would only want that speed (30 IPM) for rapid travels. And
                          >yes I was running the motors at half wind mode and I could push them
                          >much faster then 60 IPM. At 60 IPM I could not stop the stepper
                          >motor with my fingers! Sorry if I am coming across wrong here, I am
                          >just trying to help some people out that don't want to spend a
                          >fortune on a cnc milling machine.

                          Ahh - I thought you were intending cutting at those speeds.

                          I don't know what my top speed is on rapids, I did try 120ipm once but
                          it was frightening, I now have mine set at 30ipm, It's plenty fast
                          enough and I can engrave at that speed if required - I generally mill
                          at 15ipm, the step/power combination is good at those sort of speeds
                          and even after a full days running nothing gets really hot. If I
                          replaced the screws with ballscrews I'd probably up it to 60, not
                          something I intend on doing though - cost for gain not worth it for
                          me.

                          The limit on mine is not the steppers, it's the spindle motor and how
                          much power that little belt can transmit. I'm using a 180V DC motor
                          and speed controller and could up the size of the motor, but that
                          bracket is not up to it. I have thought about replacing the motor,
                          moving it to the front and making a different pulley system - if I
                          were to do that I'd probably replace the spindle with one that takes
                          ER16 collets, but that's definitely one for the back burner.

                          --
                          Steve Blackmore
                        • woodknack
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 4, 2003
                            I have heard that the stock motor doesnt have much ooomhp! What are
                            people doing about that? any tips tricks? Replacements motors?