Re: Y-Axis Problem (Need help asap)

  • klickcue
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
      Nothing holds the Lead Screw Nut other than a little Loctite. There
      is a hole in the bed that a pin on the Nut slips into. Sounds like
      something has caused the nut to move out of position and jam. The nut
      should be up against the bottom of the bed.
      HTH.

      Chris Klindt

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mmurray701" <gmurray@n...> wrote:
      > The Y axis on my mill has always had more resistance than X and Z.
      > tore it down before and didnt notice anything, so I just blammed it
      > on having the weight of the X axis on top of it. The problem seemed
      > to be getting worst if anything so I took it apart again tongiht. I
      > noticed that the Y axis nut has left a significant scratch on the
      > bed below it.
      >
      > What exactly holds the Y axis nut up in place? Mine currently has
      > nothing. Is this normal? I'm assuming its not normal due to the
      > scratch.
      >
      > Any advice? Is it normal for the Y axis to have a little more
      > resistance than the rest? I'd like to get the mill back togeather
      as
      > soon as possible so some quick help would be great. Thanks!
      >
      > Mark
    • klickcue
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
        Hi Mark,

        Your mail box is full!
        I don't use anything on my pins when the Lead Nut Screw is installed
        into the hole. I like my lead nut to pivot if necessary. I don't
        understand what has caused the lead nut to come out of the hole
        unless something fell onto the lead screw and you were unaware.
        There is enough of a shoulder on the pin that it can move without
        falling out.
        Take a wooden dowel or plastic rod and stick it through the nut's
        threaded hole and rock the nut out. Clean the nut up, put it back in
        place and see if the fit is firm but not sloppy. Reassemble the
        machine and see how it works.
        I build custom and customized pool cues, so I have taken my machine
        apart several times to clean the junk out. I use automatic
        transmission fluid for my lube. The machine has run hundreds of hours
        and thousands of inches and still looks as nice as the day it
        arrived.
        Glue lines on pool cues don't sell, so the machine has to be on the
        money. I surface wood at 20-25 inches per minute and cut the pockets
        and inlays at 10 inches per minute with a 1/32 inch cutter.
        My web site is at http://www.geocities.com/klickcue/ if you would
        care to take a look.
        Oh, I am running a 2000LE CNC Taig Mill.
        HTH

        Best regards,

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
          I'll add your site to my Taig user pages links! Great cues. I assume you're
          using a 4th axis, any details of your jigging/clamping of the cues?

          felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
          http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
            Hi Nick,
            Thank you.

            Yes, I am running a 4th axis. I add an extension table onto the mill
            to hold the full cue. On the extension table, I added a Sherline
            Tailstock http://www.sherline.com/3702pg.htm and a Sherline Right
            Hand Attachment without the upright post
            http://www.sherline.com/3701pg.htm.

            The forearm of the cue is done in one operation. The cue is then
            flipped around and the butt section is done in the next operation.
            The inlays are glued in and the whole cue is taken to the lathe,
            where the inlays are brought down to the surface of the cue.

            Best regards,
            Chris Klindt

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Carter and Felice
            Luftschein" <felice@c...> wrote:
            > I'll add your site to my Taig user pages links! Great cues. I
            assume you're
            > using a 4th axis, any details of your jigging/clamping of the cues?
            >
            > felice@c... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web
            pages
            > http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

          • woodknack
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
              Nice,
              Any pictures of your machine in action?
              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "klickcue" <klickcue@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Nick,
              > Thank you.
              >
              > Yes, I am running a 4th axis. I add an extension table onto the
              mill
              > to hold the full cue. On the extension table, I added a Sherline
              > Tailstock http://www.sherline.com/3702pg.htm and a Sherline Right
              > Hand Attachment without the upright post
              > http://www.sherline.com/3701pg.htm.
              >
              > The forearm of the cue is done in one operation. The cue is then
              > flipped around and the butt section is done in the next operation.
              > The inlays are glued in and the whole cue is taken to the lathe,
              > where the inlays are brought down to the surface of the cue.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Chris Klindt
              >
              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Carter and Felice
              > Luftschein" <felice@c...> wrote:
              > > I'll add your site to my Taig user pages links! Great cues. I
              > assume you're
              > > using a 4th axis, any details of your jigging/clamping of the
              cues?

              > > felice@c... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our
              web
              > pages
              > > http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

            • mmurray701
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2003
                Hi,
                I put the nut back in place with green loctight (sleeve
                retainer). May be overkill but at least i'm sure it will hold. Seems
                to be working fine for now. Thanks for the advice.

                Mark

                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "klickcue" <klickcue@y...> wrote:
                > Nothing holds the Lead Screw Nut other than a little Loctite.
                There
                > is a hole in the bed that a pin on the Nut slips into. Sounds like
                > something has caused the nut to move out of position and jam. The
                nut
                > should be up against the bottom of the bed.
                > HTH.
                >
                > Chris Klindt
                >
                > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mmurray701" <gmurray@n...>
                wrote:
                > > The Y axis on my mill has always had more resistance than X and
                Z.
                > > tore it down before and didnt notice anything, so I just blammed
                it
                > > on having the weight of the X axis on top of it. The problem
                seemed
                > > to be getting worst if anything so I took it apart again
                tongiht. I
                > > noticed that the Y axis nut has left a significant scratch on
                the
                > > bed below it.
                > >
                > > What exactly holds the Y axis nut up in place? Mine currently
                has
                > > nothing. Is this normal? I'm assuming its not normal due to the
                > > scratch.
                > >
                > > Any advice? Is it normal for the Y axis to have a little more
                > > resistance than the rest? I'd like to get the mill back
                togeather
                > as
                > > soon as possible so some quick help would be great. Thanks!
                > >
                > > Mark
              • klickcue
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Sorry, no. I am not much of a camera person. All the pictures of my
                  cues are done with a scanner.
                  Maybe if I get spunky, I will put a long cord on my scanner :-). Just
                  kidding.
                  I will see what I can do about photos.

                  Best regards,
                  Chris Klindt

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Chris -

                    Great work!

                    Do you start from a ready made cue and then inlay into that, or is the
                    entire cue made by you?

                    At 19:46 01/06/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Hi Nick,
                    >Thank you.
                    >
                    >Yes, I am running a 4th axis. I add an extension table onto the mill
                    >to hold the full cue. On the extension table, I added a Sherline
                    >Tailstock http://www.sherline.com/3702pg.htm and a Sherline Right
                    >Hand Attachment without the upright post
                    >http://www.sherline.com/3701pg.htm.
                    >
                    >The forearm of the cue is done in one operation. The cue is then
                    >flipped around and the butt section is done in the next operation.
                    >The inlays are glued in and the whole cue is taken to the lathe,
                    >where the inlays are brought down to the surface of the cue.
                    >
                    >Best regards,
                    >Chris Klindt
                    >
                    >--- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Nicholas Carter and Felice
                    >Luftschein" <felice@c...> wrote:
                    > > I'll add your site to my Taig user pages links! Great cues. I
                    >assume you're
                    > > using a 4th axis, any details of your jigging/clamping of the cues?
                    > >
                    > > felice@c... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web
                    >pages
                    > > http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

                  • klickcue
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Hi Tony,
                      The butt of the cue starts out from 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" squares of wood.
                      The squares are turned round and allowed to rest. The forearm of the
                      cue is turned into a cone and allowed to rest. Rest means to allow
                      the wood to warp and remove tension.
                      Most of my cues are what I call 3 piece cues. The forearm is attached
                      to the handle. The butt sleeve is cored/drilled and is fitted over a
                      tenon extending from the handle.
                      The inlays are cut on the mill.
                      After the cue has been on the lathe, many times, and is down to
                      almost finished size, it is placed on the mill.
                      The mill cuts the pockets for the inlays to fit into. The inlays are
                      glued into the pockets. After the glue has set, the cue is returned
                      to the lathe for a final pass to completed size.
                      After the cue is at final size, a linen (Irish Linen) or leather
                      groove is cut into the cue to accept the wrap. From there, the cue
                      goes into the topcoat/finish stage.

                      Best regards,
                      Chris Klindt

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/