Re: [taigtools] How do I . . . "spot finishing(?)" on aluminum

  • Bill Brady
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2003
      Ed Chesnut Wrote:

      I am envisioning setting up on a large drill press with a 3/8" or
      1/2" copper or aluminum rod chucked up (faced end). Charge the end
      of the rod with valve grinding compound or some other abrasive and
      touch down on the aluminum panel. Then use the x-y table to
      traverse 1/2 diameter and touch down again. Is this even remotely
      on the right track?
      -------------------------------------
      I believe you are after what is called a "machine finish". I have read that
      the procedure you outline above is the correct way except you use a wood
      dowel charged with abrasive. I have done this myself with some success. I
      have also used small fiberglass brushes called "Rush Erasers" for small
      spots. Currently Micro-Mark is selling even smaller fiberglass brushes which
      I also have.

      Good Luck

      -- --Wm. "Bill" Brady, Harwood MD 38°51'30"N 76°41'00"W-- Firewood warms you
      twice, once when you burn it and once when you cut it.

      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2003
        http://www.goldmachinery.com/antique.html
        They often put machines up on Ebay.
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
        http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2003
          Bill Brady Wrote:

          I believe you are after what is called a "machine finish".
          ----------------------------
          I correct myself, it's called "engine turning" or "engine finish".

          -- --Wm. "Bill" Brady, Harwood MD 38°51'30"N 76°41'00"W-- Firewood warms you
          twice, once when you burn it and once when you cut it.

        • Ed Chesnut
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2003
            . . . information. The rose turning machines weren't exactly on
            target - but it was quite enjoyable to review that information too.

            Gentlemen, you gave me direct answers to many of my unspoken
            questions and strong hints about others. I'm ready to go play, er,
            um, work on the project!

            I've already established that valve grinding compound is better for
            drilling through the aluminum [test piece :-)] than it is for
            polishing. Rubbing compound and wood dowel seem like good
            components/tools. I wonder about gluing a disc of rubber on the end
            of the dowel or rod? Ah, well, here I go.

            Thanks again for all the good responses (and links)!
            Ed
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2003
              I will add my experience, I have used a dowel with lapping compound (messy,
              and a pain), a cratex rod (needs lube but works well) and beartex discs on a
              mandrel (works best, but loads up with Al and still needs lube). The beartex
              works best as it is spongy and has some spring as well as self renewing.
              I have seen plans for a spring loaded mandrel so you always have pressure.
              felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
              http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

              > I've already established that valve grinding compound is better for
              > drilling through the aluminum [test piece :-)] than it is for
              > polishing. Rubbing compound and wood dowel seem like good
              > components/tools. I wonder about gluing a disc of rubber on the end
              > of the dowel or rod? Ah, well, here I go.
            • Thomas
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2003
                How timely this thread is! I am just about to get into doing the
                same kind of finish to dress up the knurling tool that I am
                making :) I am planning to use a 1/4 cylindrical abrasive india
                stone.
                btw, I have also seen this technique called demascening...
                Thomas
              • Steve Blackmore
                Message 7 of 16 , May 1, 2003
                  On Thu, 01 May 2003 21:42:01 -0000, you wrote:

                  >How timely this thread is! I am just about to get into doing the
                  >same kind of finish to dress up the knurling tool that I am
                  >making :) I am planning to use a 1/4 cylindrical abrasive india
                  >stone.
                  > btw, I have also seen this technique called demascening...

                  Wrongly :(

                  Damascening
                  the art of decorating iron, steel, or bronze with inlaid threads of
                  gold or silver, or producing a watered effect in forging, as in sword
                  blades, gun barrels, and various metal objects. The method, long
                  practised in the Middle East as well as in China and Japan, was highly
                  developed in Italy. The inlay forms a delicate and intricate pattern
                  upon the contrasting background. The whole fabric is penetrated by the
                  ornamental treatment, so that grinding does not remove it.

                  I've seen guns with effects ranging from "wood grain" to barley twist
                  patterns and there are some superb ornamental examples in the Royal
                  Armories.

                  It was originally done to incorporate very expensive pure iron and
                  alloys, with cheap stuff, but still produce a viable weapon that
                  wouldn't break. The ornamental examples followed as a lucrative
                  sideline.

                  --
                  Steve Blackmore
                • Thomas
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                    I was aware of d-A-mascening, but jewelling/engine-turning is also
                    referred to as d-E-mascening, at least according to the Eastwood Co.
                    website:
                    http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/lib/instructions/eng_turn.asp?UID=

                    Are they misinformed? I could have sworn I'd seen the term used
                    elsewhere as well ;) And why did you put Spam Alert in the header of
                    your message? I wasn't trying to sell anything, loL!
                    Thomas

                    > Wrongly :(
                    >
                    > Damascening
                    > the art of decorating iron, steel, or bronze with inlaid threads of
                    > gold or silver, or producing a watered effect in forging, as in
                    sword
                    > blades, gun barrels, and various metal objects. The method, long
                    > practised in the Middle East as well as in China and Japan, was
                    highly
                    > developed in Italy. The inlay forms a delicate and intricate pattern
                    > upon the contrasting background. The whole fabric is penetrated by
                    the
                    > ornamental treatment, so that grinding does not remove it.
                    >
                    > I've seen guns with effects ranging from "wood grain" to barley
                    twist
                    > patterns and there are some superb ornamental examples in the Royal
                    > Armories.
                    >
                    > It was originally done to incorporate very expensive pure iron and
                    > alloys, with cheap stuff, but still produce a viable weapon that
                    > wouldn't break. The ornamental examples followed as a lucrative
                    > sideline.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Steve Blackmore
                  • David Carter
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2003

                      A quick Google search indicates that they are the only website using this
                      term in this manner:

                      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=demascening+turning

                      Note Google also asks if I really meant "damascening turning".

                      - David Carter
                    • Steve Blackmore
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                        On Fri, 02 May 2003 14:48:05 -0000, you wrote:

                        >I was aware of d-A-mascening, but jewelling/engine-turning is also
                        >referred to as d-E-mascening, at least according to the Eastwood Co.
                        >website:
                        >http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/lib/instructions/eng_turn.asp?UID=
                        >
                        >Are they misinformed? I could have sworn I'd seen the term used
                        >elsewhere as well ;) And why did you put Spam Alert in the header of
                        >your message? I wasn't trying to sell anything, loL!
                        >Thomas

                        They sure are, and as is tradition with a lot of " American" words,
                        can't spell ;)

                        Stupid anti-virus program must have picked up the capitals bit as a
                        "spam" email, and I never noticed - sorry about that.

                        --
                        Steve Blackmore