Early Wear?

  • mmurray70
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2003
      I noticed that after some light use that my mill has developed quite
      a bit of play. The headstock seems a little loose and the table has
      developed some play too. Theres enough so that its noticable
      (barely) from moving it back and forth by hand.

      Is this typical for a new mill? Do they initially wear a little more
      until the moving parts break in? It was very tigh when new and has
      only been used 4-5 hours.

      My Y axis has a little too much backlash too (was like this when
      new) so i'd like to adjust that too. Anybody have a site with a part
      diagram of the mill? Or some kind of service guide? I'm kind of
      afraid to just take apart or pick at a relatively expensive item but
      I guess I'll have to sometime.

      Please post anything helpful. Thanks!

      Mark