Re: [taigtools] screwless mill vise plans

  • Stan Stocker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
      Hi Tom;

      It's in volume 2. Actually a pretty nice little vise, I made a larger
      variation, with some care and thought about the order of operations and
      some judicious lapping mine indicates to about 2 tenths worst case error
      on the surface plate. Only had to toss one fixed jaw to get to this
      point, the first one was almost a full thou out of square over 4 inches.
      Must of missed a slight shift when I clamped up to cut the tongue, and
      I didn't have the surface grinder then. Seemed easier to make the new
      part than to lap better than 4 square inches of steel surface to true it up.

      Cheers,
      Stan

      Tom Benedict wrote:
      > Rudy Kouhoupt had some plans a while back. I think it's in either volume
      > 1 or volume 2 of "Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt".
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, kenny35d18 <kenny35d18@...> wrote:
      >

      >>Thanks for the help and that confirmed what I thought was going wrong
      >>with the taig vise. Does any one know of a source of a good
      >>screwless vise plan I could check out?
      >>Kenny

      >>Let the chips fly!

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003

        > From: "Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein" <felice@...>
        >Subject: Re: screwless mill vise plans
        >
        >Rudy Kouhoupt published one in a series in some old HSM magazines,

        That's a good article. It's a very good starting place.

        > From: "DASH & Tammy Dutro <the_dutros@...>" <the_dutros@...>
        >
        >It's a chicken-egg thing, I hate to say. No matter how careful you
        >are -- you won't be able to make one as good as you can buy.

        Probably not, most of us don't have surface grinders so it's tough to
        make them to the level of precision that you can buy for $40-50 dollars
        from Enco when they are on sale.

        >In short, unless you start with accurate fixtures, you will never be
        >able to produce accurate parts.

        I noted on Dash's web page that he mounts the vice in a sensible manner.
        For some reason many people set it up the same way as a big mill,
        leaving half of the base unsupported!!! Use his method for mounting.

        There are methods of work that reference of the mill's bed that are very
        accurate, same goes for the lathe. While these little vises are very
        handy, there are other methods that can be used to get around this. It
        also depends on what tolerances you are working to and what the end
        result is. You will find that angle plates, 3-2-1 blocks (make
        yourself!) and the like are very useful and help get by the Z axis
        limitations.

        > From: Stan Stocker <skstocker@...>
        >

        >It's in volume 2. Actually a pretty nice little vise, I made a larger
        >variation, with some care and thought about the order of operations and
        >some judicious lapping mine indicates to about 2 tenths worst case error on the surface plate.

        Awesome! More patience than I have, do you make your own Jo blocks as well?

        Jim Eckman