new to this

  • paul
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2002
      I am going to be getting a Taig cnc mill in a couple of months and
      was wondering if you guys could tell what the best programmes are to
      use to run this cnc mill , I am very new to this area of machining
      all help appreciated

      thanx huxy
    • Tom Benedict
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2002
        On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, paul wrote:

        > I am going to be getting a Taig cnc mill in a couple of months and was
        > wondering if you guys could tell what the best programmes are to use to
        > run this cnc mill , I am very new to this area of machining all help
        > appreciated

        Tough to say what the best is. My guess is you're going to get a lot of
        suggestions on software. Try as many as you can, and pick the one that
        works for you and what you're doing.

        I got a copy of Supercam when I bought my mill. For doing 2D or 2D+1
        stuff, it works quite well. One feature it has that most other programs
        don't is the CAD interface. It's a CAD/CAM/driver all in one. Tony
        Jeffree and others have done some exceptional work using it. (I only
        mention Tony because he's got tons of pictures on his web site.)

        I've since switched to using Vector and EMC. I like Vector because it
        allows more flexibility for generating toolpaths, up to and including the
        use of a rotary axis. My reasons for using EMC are mostly because I don't
        like having to reboot into DOS, and don't like using floppies. This is a
        personal choice.

        Tom
      • Tom Benedict
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2002
          EMC's a machine controller. It runs under Linux. There were a couple of
          reasons I switched to it:

          1 - It runs under an operating system I'm comfortable with. If you're not
          already familiar with UNIX, it would be a major pain in the rear to use.

          2 - It runs under and OS that lets me use network filesystems. This lets
          me use Vector on a Windows machine, and save the files directly to the EMC
          machine. This is by no means an exclusive feature of EMC. There are also
          mill control programs that run under Windows.

          3 - It recognizes a lot more g-codes than Supercam. Not a big deal if
          you're using Supercam to do your CAD as well as CAM work, but Vector
          generates codes that Supercam doesn't handle well. This is what initially
          prompted me to switch.

          It's been a while since I've installed EMC, so I'm a little rusty on URLs.
          But I think if you go to:

          http://www.linuxcnc.org

          It'll give you a good start.

          Tom

          On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, David Goodfellow wrote:

          > What is EMC? I use Vector to MPS2000.
          >
          > Dave Goodfellow
          > Lancaster, CA
          > "No problem too small to baffle this expert"
          >
          > > I've since switched to using Vector and EMC. I like Vector because it
          > > allows more flexibility for generating toolpaths, up to and including the
          > > use of a rotary axis. My reasons for using EMC are mostly because I don't
          > > like having to reboot into DOS, and don't like using floppies. This is a
          > > personal choice.
          > >
          > > Tom

        • David Goodfellow
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 29, 2002