Safety

  • jumbo75007
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
      I just had an incident with my drill press. I was drilling
      some hardware store variety 1/4" steel and just as the drill was
      breaking thru the bottom, the drill shattered, not just a snap,
      but a POW and drill bit shards went all over the place. The steel
      was clamped down. The drill (size #9) was a cheapo from a Harbor
      Freight 3-in-1 drill set (about 120 drills for about $40.) I had
      been looking at buying some American made drills, but I have decided
      to do it now. I also was glad that I had my glasses on! None
      of the drill hit my face, but one put a minor cut my hand.
      Lesson learned!!!!!

      Dan Fuller
      Carrollton, Texas
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
        Just goes to show that sometimes, expensive tools work out cheaper.

        At 15:19 06/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >I just had an incident with my drill press. I was drilling
        >some hardware store variety 1/4" steel and just as the drill was
        >breaking thru the bottom, the drill shattered, not just a snap,
        >but a POW and drill bit shards went all over the place. The steel
        >was clamped down. The drill (size #9) was a cheapo from a Harbor
        >Freight 3-in-1 drill set (about 120 drills for about $40.) I had
        >been looking at buying some American made drills, but I have decided
        >to do it now. I also was glad that I had my glasses on! None
        >of the drill hit my face, but one put a minor cut my hand.
        >Lesson learned!!!!!
        >
        >Dan Fuller
        >Carrollton, Texas

        >Let the chips fly!

      • wishbone_aaa
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
          --- In taigtools@y..., "jumbo75007" <fullerdj@a...> wrote:
          > I just had an incident with my drill press. I was drilling
          > some hardware store variety 1/4" steel and just as the drill was
          > breaking thru the bottom, the drill shattered, not just a snap,
          > but a POW and drill bit shards went all over the place. The steel
          > was clamped down. The drill (size #9) was a cheapo from a Harbor
          > Freight 3-in-1 drill set (about 120 drills for about $40.) I had
          > been looking at buying some American made drills, but I have decided
          > to do it now. I also was glad that I had my glasses on! None
          > of the drill hit my face, but one put a minor cut my hand.
          > Lesson learned!!!!!
          >
          > Dan Fuller
          > Carrollton, Texas

          Imported metal is somthing to be wary of.

          Here's something that's a real scare: Imported lawn mower blades.

          I know of one young lady that almost lost her foot when the blade
          shattered.

          Don
        • William Schmiedlin
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 7, 2002
            Dan,

            I have heard that process is called "hatching." Did it once with a solid
            carbide drill bit, and ended up pulling splinters out of my hands, and shirt
            for an hour. Endmills and other very hard tooling can "hatch" also. The
            worst part of doing it with bigger tooling is the BANG it makes when it
            explodes...usually gives quite a scare. At least the hole could be saved in
            your part :)

            William